GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,297
1 members and 2,296 guests
MSKKG

Old 08-16-2010, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

They didn't ask for transcripts, they just asked for our HS GPA on the application, and I assume they then check that with the transcript that the school has on file. I'm above the mandatory 3.0 GPA, so I'm not sweating bullets per se, but my cumulative GPA after second semester senior year was lower (lol) than the GPA I had when I applied to schools, which is the one I knew by heart.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-16-2010, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, right. They told us that we could update our GPA if we had transcripts to verify our new GPA, and that we had to submit them together. Anyway, if recruitment still has 2 weeks I would think they'd let you change it.

Then again, I'm just a PNM, so what do I know
Old 08-16-2010, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm so happy to hear that your parents are going to support you!!
Old 08-16-2010, 07:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
< lane swerve >

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most NPHC orgs discourage first semester (year?) freshmen from pursuing membership? So why not take a spin through NPC recruitment? Who knows, you may find a wonderful sisterhood to call your own...or you may decide that the NPHC would fit better for you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

rococobaby: Me too! My dad is still kind of 'meh' about it, but he's not opposed. Full steam ahead!

PhoenixAzul: I'm not certain, but I don't think first semester membership is even possible. That's exactly how I feel, and I told my mom that and she understood completely. Not coming from a GLO background, I think she just needed more information to be okay with it.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck again!
Old 08-22-2010, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much!

It feels like it's been forever since I posted here, but I've been busy moving in! I've had the chance to meet a couple sorority members since I've been here- quite a few of them have been helping out with orientation. Recruitment doesn't start until the first, but they are hosting a little get together before a school-wide event this week, as well as the info night, so I'm excited to go to those events!!
Old 08-29-2010, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I hate to double post again, but

I'm meeting my Pi Chi group tonight! I'm very excited- I still have a few days until recruitment starts, but I'm already getting pretty giddy!
Old 08-29-2010, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Double post all you want!
Old 08-29-2010, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Post as much as you want to, Sweetmagnolia! No worries. We're all excited for you!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Woohoo!! Good luck sweetmagnolia!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

good luck SM, can't wait to hear about your experience!!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:45 AM
GreekChat Member

ROUND ONE: Rotationals

Since I go to a small school with only 6 groups, we visited all of them in one night. We walked over, had dinner with our Pi Chi groups, and then proceeded to visit our groups.

NYC This was the last chapter my Pi Chi group visited, and we were all tired- the PNMs and the actives. I had a fun time talking to all of them though- I talked to three girls total and they all said very different but great things about their chapter. This chapter, for whatever reason, had the biggest room but some of the sparsest decorations. They couldn't tell me much about the fundraisers they do for their philanthropy, but they seemed very committed to it. I really enjoyed myself, but I felt bad because I yawned a couple times.
Chicago I. Loved. This chapter. It was the first chapter I visited and when I left I couldn't stop smiling- my cheeks hurt! I talked to four different actives and we had a lot of fun. I regret not talking more about their chapter and their events and philanthropy, but I felt like I was just talking with a group of old friends about who-knows-what. Also, all the girls from my HS that go to this school are in this sorority, and it was nice to see them!
Los Angeles I felt very hot and cold with this group. I loved the first two girls I talked to, but the third one just left me feeling kinda meh. She would say something was really cool, but then be like 'well, it's kinda silly' or 'it shouldn't be that big of a deal'. She also said her favorite thing about being in the chapter were the parties with the different campus fraternities- that was a huge turn off. I did, however, talk to an active who is in charge of programming and she was much more eloquent and passionate about what their group does. After that, the actives all sang and did a ceremonial candle pass, which was great. One active commented about how their chapter usually does it for things like getting into grad school and not getting engaged 'like a lot of other chapters'. I wasn't sure how to react to that. Overall, I did enjoy my time visiting with these women.
Denver This was the only other group that I left with a smile on my face. Their philanthropy is something very near and dear to me and I had been quivering with excitement to get to talk to them. All the women I talked to were smart, funny, and seemed very knowledgeable. This was also the only chapter where I noticed actives from my own ethnic group- they were no where to be found in the other chapters. The decorations here were probably my favorite, and I really enjoyed how they set up the room- if you walked around, they had a little booth dedicated to each aspect of their group- their sisterhood, their philanthropy, etc. I would love to return to this chapter.
Miami Visiting this chapter was like getting teeth pulled. I know that I'm being a little dramatic, but talking to these girls was painful. It was two PNMs to each active and I found the conversation to be very awkward- I think it may have been more the other PNM than the woman we were talking to, but still. Then, when another member came over, the conversation got worse. I tried to talk about what her favorite thing about Greek Life was or what she enjoys about their philanthropy but she just kept saying things like 'your shoes are really cute' or asking about the movies we saw over the summer. I thought I was going to love this chapter but I was unimpressed.
Boston I really really liked visiting this chapter. You could tell the second you walked in the kind of effort these women put into the night. My conversations here were nothing out of the ordinary- we didn't spend much time talking about their philanthropy, but I did hear about other things they do around the school and within the chapter- how they maintain their GPAs, etc. A girl I knew came over and we talked for a while and that was really nice because seeing her there eased my jitters. I was so impressed that all the women were still wearing their heels- they had been standing around in them for at least 4 hours at this point! I can't even imagine. This was my second to last group and I started yawning here and felt so bad. I don't think anyone took it personally, but I was embarrassed.

At the night, we had to do our rankings for tomorrow's Philanthropy Night. I didn't find the process particularly hard. Here's what I put:

1.NYC
1.Chicago
1.Los Angeles
1.Denver
1.Boston
2.Miami
Old 09-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

yay sweetmagnolia!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't wait to hear about Philanthropy Round!