GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,169
1 members and 1,168 guests
No Members online

Old 03-11-2020, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
A fellow teacher's son is at Birmingham Southern. She says that if they make the kids finish the year with online classes, she'd better get a big fat refund check on his tuition because she's not paying that kind of money for him to teach himself.
From what I've been told at most universities in Ohio, these are teacher-led classes online. Students aren't teaching themselves. They are getting their lectures live but remotely.
I wouldn't expect a refund check when the university is still paying the teachers to teach, plus are paying for extra online broadcasts.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Per our POTUS, travel ban from Europe (Except the UK) for 30 days.....

Last edited by PKT4LIFE; 03-11-2020 at 10:43 PM. Reason: update
Old 03-11-2020, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

NBA suspended season and Tom Hanks has COVID. This last hour has been kind of nuts.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post

Based on?
Well, the New York Times is reporting that Chancellor Angela Merkel has said that 2 of 3 Germans are infected, so I would say that 66.67% is close enough to 70%.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Well, the New York Times is reporting that Chancellor Angela Merkel has said that 2 of 3 Germans are infected, so I would say that 66.67% is close enough to 70%.
Merkel said in an address to the German parliament that two out of three Germans may become infected, not that they are infected currently. Again, her assessment isn't outside the realm of possibility, based on what epidemiologists are predicting. Merkel's number is just on the high side of the predicted infection range.

As for my own experience, I work for a federal agency that still has provided absolutely no guidance beyond hand washing and "Dracula Coughing." They haven't advised us to postpone or cancel non-essential travel, request video teleconferences instead of in-person oral arguments, or do additional telework beyond the one day a week that most of us already do. We've been waiting for promised guidance since early last week, and nothing has arrived, not even after someone in my office was put in quarantine yesterday with a "probable" case of Coronavirus. "Probable" only because the narrow testing parameters spelled out by the CDC a couple weeks ago are still in place, at least in my area, so she can't be tested (yet). But given everything, her doctor is pretty sure she is infected. In the absence of any direction or communication from agency leadership on how to deal with this, middle management in my office is trying its best to deal with the situation, and the disruption that has resulted. For myself, I have to go in to the office today, but will start teleworking three to four days a week beginning tomorrow. Let the social distancing commence!

I wish I could say that my agency is an aberration, and that others are handling this better, but I've heard similar stories from friends at other Departments. It seems like a lot of state and local jurisdictions are ahead of the feds in dealing with this. Mind you, only my impression
Old 03-12-2020, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

The chapter houses on my campus are staying open but with caveats. Most are only allowing residents to be in the house, along with minimal "essential" staff (cleaners, cooks). No guests or out of house members allowed. Some houses are making their residents fill out a form to stay in the house and only those who with a form on file will be allowed in. Meal service will be abbreviated to some extent, again it'll vary from house to house.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

My younger brother was at the Jazz-Thunder NBA game last night where they shut down the game at half time because one of the Jazz players tested positive. Now other Jazz players are testing positive.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-12-2020, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Our Greater Chicago Alumnae Chapter just posted this to Facebook with the message: Are you tired of singing Happy Birthday? Try saying The Creed when washing your hands instead. 💚⚓💛

@~/~~~~
Old 03-12-2020, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Our Greater Chicago Alumnae Chapter just posted this to Facebook with the message: Are you tired of singing Happy Birthday? Try saying The Creed when washing your hands instead. 💚⚓💛

How perfect! Ours is a bit long, but then, my hands would surely be clean.

ACC tournament cancelled, along with others.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKate1244 View Post
The chapter houses on my campus are staying open but with caveats. Most are only allowing residents to be in the house, along with minimal "essential" staff (cleaners, cooks). No guests or out of house members allowed. Some houses are making their residents fill out a form to stay in the house and only those who with a form on file will be allowed in. Meal service will be abbreviated to some extent, again it'll vary from house to house.
Thanks for this. After my alma mater announced yesterday that it was going online only for the rest of the semester and everyone has to leave their dorm, I wondered what it would be like had a similar situation happened when I was in school back in the stone age. We were the rare Greek group that owned our house, so those of us who lived in the house could have stayed if the house corporation allowed it. It would have been strange, but I think I would have preferred that to trying to study back at home, where between my parents and sisters, it would not have been quiet enough.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

With all these schools going online, will the internet keep up?
Old 03-12-2020, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrestGrump View Post
Merkel said in an address to the German parliament that two out of three Germans may become infected, not that they are infected currently. Again, her assessment isn't outside the realm of possibility, based on what epidemiologists are predicting. Merkel's number is just on the high side of the predicted infection range.
Merkel or the NYT isn't up with the facts. https://www.worldometers.info/corona...untry/germany/
These estimate, give to the public, do more harm than good. Even in China, then haven't seen numbers like those. They are bending the curves.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
Several schools in Massachusetts are closing for the remainder of the school year including Babson College, Harvard, MIT, Suffolk, Tufts, etc. Additional schools are closing temporarily including all the University of Massachusetts locations, Boston University, Northeastern, and more...
MIT is actually going to online classes, not closing completely. They've cancelled classes for next week. The following week would have been spring break anyway. Starting on the 30th, classes will continue online for the remainder of the semester. Commencement may or may not be cancelled.

All undergraduates in dorms and fraternity and sorority houses are being forced to leave. There are residences for graduate students, but they're set up as apartments, rather than dorms with kitchens and bathrooms shared among many residents, so graduate students who live on campus can stay on campus.

This is causing major headaches, especially for some international students, because of visa issues or because they come from countries that have been hard hit by COVID-19.

As of yesterday, there were 92 confirmed or presumptive cases in Massachusetts, 70 of which were connected to a recent conference in Boston - hence why Boston/Cambridge schools are taking precautions.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:46 PM

... And COVID-19 is the official winner of the NCAA tournaments. They've been cancelled.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
A fellow teacher's son is at Birmingham Southern. She says that if they make the kids finish the year with online classes, she'd better get a big fat refund check on his tuition because she's not paying that kind of money for him to teach himself.
You can let her know that I've been teaching - TEACHING - online for 6 years. He won't be teaching himself, and that professor is putting in too much work to go without pay.