GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,207
3 members and 1,204 guests
g41965
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

If all of this is true, then, it is a sorry day for D Z and a blot on all Greeks.

Something else to fuel the Anti Greek fire.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-26-2007, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I looked at the pic of the girls from the NYT. I would have no problem with any of them being my sister, and apparently thin and brunette is just as big of a crime as being overweight. Oh wait, maybe it's the glasses.

Also from this article Bottoms Releases Letter to DZ Nationals, Chapter Reorganization Moves Forward They've passed new rules preventing the reorganization of chapters in the middle of the academic year when housing is involved.

I don't recall if this was mentioned in this thread, but it seems that the 100th anniversary of this chapter will be in 2009. I wonder why DZ doesn't want to close it without knowing they could immediately reopen? Apparently (also from this article) they won't close without that promise. And whether they only have 3 members or 30 members or "none" they'll go on.

Why?

An Effing CENTENNIAL.

Great sisterhood.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Who is watching Paula Zahn right now?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taualumna View Post
Who is watching Paula Zahn now?
Me...

(Whoo hoo! An Illini grad is on the panel!)

Last edited by UofISigKap; 02-26-2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Other input from panelists
Old 02-26-2007, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Me too.

The ONLY thing new that I learned was about this supposed August 06 vote by the chapter to close.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

holy smokes...they are on Paula Zahn on CNN! And they have no clue what they are talking about!
Old 02-26-2007, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay.....IF this supposed vote by the chapter is true, that SORTA changes things a LITTLE.......

Personalizing it, if my APO chapter decided to cease activity, stop recruiting, and essentially close, then sure, I can see our National Office stepping in and saying whoa buddy, YOU don't get to kill Bill Clinton's chapter. And I can reasonably see them deciding to interview each of us to establish who was willing to stay on and rebuild the chapter.

BUT....why is this the first time we've heard of this alleged vote by the chapter?

OTHERWISE, I thought the DZ chick was not well spoken, not very charismatic, and pretty much as I expected her to be.

And I couldn't help but be moved by the DZ member who cried.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

IHQ president = broken record
Old 02-26-2007, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
I looked at the pic of the girls from the NYT. I would have no problem with any of them being my sister, and apparently thin and brunette is just as big of a crime as being overweight. Oh wait, maybe it's the glasses.

Also from this article Bottoms Releases Letter to DZ Nationals, Chapter Reorganization Moves Forward They've passed new rules preventing the reorganization of chapters in the middle of the academic year when housing is involved.

I don't recall if this was mentioned in this thread, but it seems that the 100th anniversary of this chapter will be in 2009. I wonder why DZ doesn't want to close it without knowing they could immediately reopen? Apparently (also from this article) they won't close without that promise. And whether they only have 3 members or 30 members or "none" they'll go on.

Why?

An Effing CENTENNIAL.

Great sisterhood.
Yeah I saw the pictures and I don't get it. They're not all skinny and blonde, but to me having that diverse and invidual a group of girls is more impressive than amassing a collection of tans, bulemia, and highlights. They look like a fresh faced, nice, diverse group of women. One woman even has a Sigma Nu shirt on...obviously the complaints about fraternity men avoiding them are not totally true.

"Socially awkward" might just mean "not like us". "Us" being those that label the women in that manner. Personally I don't like the idea that Greeks are supposed to be alike...that sorority women are all supposed to be "traditional" sorority women. I think there is definitely a place on campus for women who want to just be themselves, and enjoy a formal sisterhood at the same time.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand DZ stepping in, but not doing what they were doing.

AND the national officer was just giving "party line" BULL CRAP you don't know if there are minorities left. BULL CRAP you'd take them back. What was that recruitment plan? Go get trashed at bars and bring freshmen?

GAH.

YOU PISS ME OFF DZ LADY.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Unregistered-

Moi aussi. Yay for the 'Start Over' button because I missed the first 11 minutes.

What breaks my heart is seeing the letters and the crest being dragged through the mud. Way to go, HQ -- the women who wear your letters definitely do not deserve to go through this.

HOLY CRAP, Cindy Menges is on Paula Zahn. Sorry Cindy, you're not convincing me at all. Chew her out Paula....chew her out.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Oh, balls. I hate I missed it. Though I'm loving the fact that Al Sharpton and Strom Thurmond are related. It explains the similar hairlines.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Paula Zahn/CNN

I'm watching CNN with Paula Zahn hosting "Out in the Open" and it's almost unbelievable; she has DZ's Executive Director on--and the woman is falling all over herself trying to explain. It's "doublespeak" at its most obvious. When Paula asked if they would take the girls back, she tried to say that of course they would, if the girls would agree to headquarter's recruitment plan--what does THAT mean? Agree to hide upstairs and pretend not to be home while another chapter rushes for you? That was one of the weirdest things I've seen in awhile! WOW!

And, the follow-up panel was out of it because none of them had been Greek in college, but they all had comments from the Greeks on their own campuses. Two of them were African-Americans, who pounced on the fact that all the minority Depauw DZs were released, or made alumni, or whatever they were. I can't say I feel sorry for the headquarters because they let this fester for over a month and now--there is hell to pay. Lesson--get on TOP of an unfolding issue, communicate when you need to or---you end up in the NY Times, CNN--or BOTH!
Old 02-26-2007, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post

BUT....why is this the first time we've heard of this alleged vote by the chapter?
It was mentioned in one of the articles on the DePauw student newspaper website.

Trouble started last August, when junior Sarah Carlson, a former officer, said national representatives gave the officers two options: improve recruitment or choose not to participate in rush. Too small a pledge class or a vote not to participate in rush would result in the closing of the house.

The officers brought the matter before their sisters, and after one deadlocked vote, the women chose not to participate in rush.

Carlson, who was asked to leave, attributed the vote to a sense of disillusionment with recruitment.

"We were just tired of fighting all year," Carlson said. "We were tired of trying to fight the system. ... We just wanted to enjoy the year together."

But everything changed Sept. 12, when two Delta Zeta national representatives met with Greek Life Director Tom Hansen and Dean of Students Cynthia Babington. Closing the chapter, Hansen said, would not guarantee Delta Zeta a place on campus when it came time to reopen - their proposal to start a new chapter would be one of many.

The sorority's national Executive Director Cindy Menges was surprised by the news.

"Wow, OK," she said. "What do we do now?"

Last edited by Sistermadly; 02-26-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I am glad that the media has gotten behind this one. There's no way to talk around it or make excuses. DZ's press statements have all come across incredibly lame and do not actually explain how it happens that the overweight and/or not white girls were asked to leave but the pretty skinny people were asked to stay. Their statements deny what really happened and refuse to clarify whatever was "misunderstood" in the media.

What's even more sad is that this happens in many of our organizations. Membership reviews, while not an everyday occurrence, do happen more often than any of us would like to think.