GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 912
0 members and 912 guests
No Members online

Old 10-21-2009, 04:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Weird question

Soo I'm thinking of joining a sorority, but I'm very new to it all. A friend of mine sparked the idea to me about a week ago, and it seems I can't get it off my mind. I think it would be a fun, learning and growing experience for me.

Buuuut when I think of sororities I think of sassy girls getting all dolled up, which has never been my cup of tea. I'm very laid back, but dedicated to my studies, and I am jeans and t-shirt kind of girl. I wear hardly any make up--if not any at all... and I haven't worn heels since my grandparents anniversary, which was at least 5-6 years ago.

I don't mean to come off sounding closed minded, because I'm not. And I know there is much more to sororities than this, which is why I'm interested in them... however I feel like the fact that I hardly catch myself in a sun dress or what most people would consider "cute" clothes, is going to run me into a few problems. I hear rushing sororities can be harsh to your self-esteem, so I just want to know what I'll be getting myself into haha
Old 10-21-2009, 06:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Why don't you take the time to actually learn about sororities instead of relying on stereotypes? Read around this site, hang out with them. Expecting people to spoonfeed you the information that you want and convince you to do it isn't the best approach. Get your hands dirty and educate yourself! There's plenty here and elsewhere to do so. The search function is your friend, so is just simple browsing around.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Why don't you take the time to actually learn about sororities instead of relying on stereotypes? Read around this site, hang out with them. Expecting people to spoonfeed you the information that you want and convince you to do it isn't the best approach. Get your hands dirty and educate yourself! There's plenty here and elsewhere to do so. The search function is your friend, so is just simple browsing around.
I agree with this however joining a sorority (or any organization) also means following the protocol of the organization. There will be times that call for certain attire (including formal) so if you are one that is just not willing to put on a dress for example at any time, then sorority membership is not for you. I absolutely can't stand when someone joins an organization and then complains repeatedly about following protocol and adhering to rules. Some try to say that it limits their freedom....yadda, yadda, yadda. But it shouldn't be too much to follow protocol and rules when representing your organization. Some people try to act like they are being asked to do this 24/7 and that is simply not true. On your own time, do whatever you wish but when representing the organization, you will have to be in compliance even if you don't want to. I personally don't think this is unreasonable but just think about it. No one likes complainers.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Rhoyltempest, I totally agree re: following protocol of an organization. Especially in college - you're preparing for the real world and if you can't dress appropriately, you're going to be in for a big shock once you graduate and get a job. We had a sister who was constantly a problem with dressing- she always claimed she wanted to be an "individual" and not "conform." Funny how when her parents came for Parents' Weekend she was wearing a pink cashmere sweater...

But the poster didn't exactly sound too serious about sorority membership, so I wasn't going to go into too much with her.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Rhoyltempest, I totally agree re: following protocol of an organization. Especially in college - you're preparing for the real world and if you can't dress appropriately, you're going to be in for a big shock once you graduate and get a job. We had a sister who was constantly a problem with dressing- she always claimed she wanted to be an "individual" and not "conform." Funny how when her parents came for Parents' Weekend she was wearing a pink cashmere sweater...

But the poster didn't exactly sound too serious about sorority membership, so I wasn't going to go into too much with her.
I think every org has members like this. I understand individuality and the need to express it since I am as individual and independent as they come (never even saw myself in a sorority before joining); however I chose to be in a sorority and to have unity with my sisters. Also, protocol has to be followed in many areas of life: work, church, teams, etc. People that have the attitude that they will not conform when it comes to anything, will likely have a harder time going through life and they definately don't belong in a fraternal organization.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 10-21-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoooby View Post
Buuuut when I think of sororities I think of sassy girls getting all dolled up
Step away from the Bettie Page fan magazines like whoa. Does any 18-19 year old seriously talk like this??
Old 10-21-2009, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Jeez, I didn't know talking a certain way was so important, haha kidding... anyway, like I said I didn't mean to come off sounding closed-minded I felt like it was a pretty simple/general question and I just signed up soo I wasn't aware of a search function nor would I even begin to be able pick out certain keywords on this topic that finds exactly what I was looking for. Figured asking was my best option and wouldn't be a big deal.

I mentioned I understand sororities are about much more, which is why I'm considering them in the first place, if I thought I wouldn't be able to comply with their standards/expectations and put on a dress when needed, I probably would just blow it off. I was just wondering how OFTEN formal events/activities come up in sororities, like on average, and if any of you maybe had sisters who are like me and prefer t-shirts/jeans on most occasions but don't mind following protocols when needed.

Thanks for the info anyway..
Old 10-21-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I mentioned I understand sororities are about much more, which is why I'm considering them in the first place, if I thought I wouldn't be able to comply with their standards/expectations and put on a dress when needed, I probably would just blow it off. I was just wondering how OFTEN formal events/activities come up in sororities, like on average, and if any of you maybe had sisters who are like me and prefer t-shirts/jeans on most occasions but don't mind following protocols when needed.

Every chapter is different, but there are definitely occasions at which formal or business dress is required.

Every other chapter meeting was a badgewear meeting which meant no jeans. Dress pants, skirts, appropropriate dress tops or dresses were required.

We were also asked to wear badge attire for special events on campus, Founders Day brunches, etc.

Then there were formal and semi-formal, which of course requires a pretty dress.

Think of it this way, once you have a professional job, you likely are going to have to dress a certain way for work (at some point).

Sure, you may prefer to wear tees and jeans all the time, but you wear what's asked because you want to look put together and appropriate.

Same with being in a sorority.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-21-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Jeez, I didn't know talking a certain way was so important, haha kidding... anyway, like I said I didn't mean to come off sounding closed-minded I felt like it was a pretty simple/general question and I just signed up soo I wasn't aware of a search function nor would I even begin to be able pick out certain keywords on this topic that finds exactly what I was looking for. Figured asking was my best option and wouldn't be a big deal.

Don't pay too much attention to T.V. and hearsay. There are all types of women in sororities...not just the prissy and pretty in pink, although you might feel that one fits you more than another. Of course, there are women who prefer t-shirts/jeans but who don't have a problem following their organization's rules and protocol even if it calls for a dress or suit on occasion. As for how often formal attire is required, that depends on the sorority.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Every chapter is different, but there are definitely occasions at which formal or business dress is required.

Every other chapter meeting was a badgewear meeting which meant no jeans. Dress pants, skirts, appropropriate dress tops or dresses were required.

We were also asked to wear badge attire for special events on campus, Founders Day brunches, etc.

Then there were formal and semi-formal, which of course requires a pretty dress.

Think of it this way, once you have a professional job, you likely are going to have to dress a certain way for work (at some point).

Sure, you may prefer to wear tees and jeans all the time, but you wear what's asked because you want to look put together and appropriate.

Same with being in a sorority.
Thank you. Of course I don't mind doing it if it is asked!

I just hope a sorority is for me, and was hoping maybe someone else on here has been in my position before and overcame it!

I've done my research and so far I think my top ideal sororities here at UNT are Chi Omega... Delta Gamma, Kappa Kappa Gamma or Pi Beta Phi... is it best to rush all sororities or just the ones I can see myself in?
Old 10-21-2009, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
Don't pay too much attention to T.V. and hearsay. There are all types of women in sororities...not just the prissy and pretty in pink, although you might feel that one fits you more than another. Of course, there are women who prefer t-shirts/jeans but who don't have a problem following their organization's rules and protocol even if it calls for a dress or suit on occasion. As for how often formal attire is required, that depends on the sorority.
Haha yeah, T.V. and movies kind of give sororities bad reps, but no I'm not 100% dependent towards those sources. Most of my girly-girl friends are in sororities. What I'm interested in is the sisterhood, networking, and friendships/bonds to be made, and I like being surrounded by people who take their studies very importantly!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:

I've done my research and so far I think my top ideal sororities here at UNT are Chi Omega... Delta Gamma, Kappa Kappa Gamma or Pi Beta Phi... is it best to rush all sororities or just the ones I can see myself in?

Your best bet is to keep an open mind to ALL chapters on campus.

Why?

Because you don't even know if those 3 will choose to invite you back.

You also don't really know where you will fit in until you actually meet and get to know girls in EVERY chapter during recruitment.

It's silly to make decisions about chapters before recruitment because you just never know what will happen or what other chapters you will connect with.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Your best bet is to keep an open mind to ALL chapters on campus.

Why?

Because you don't even know if those 3 will choose to invite you back.

You also don't really know where you will fit in until you actually meet and get to know girls in EVERY chapter during recruitment.

It's silly to make decisions about chapters before recruitment because you just never know what will happen or what other chapters you will connect with.
Thanks, you're very helpful! I appreciate it!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thank you. Of course I don't mind doing it if it is asked!

I just hope a sorority is for me, and was hoping maybe someone else on here has been in my position before and overcame it!

Your best bet is to look at the women in these chapters. Do they dress up a lot. Do they dress up when they go to class? Do you see a lot of their members walking around in jeans, t-shirts and flip flops? Every chapter is very different. My chapter was full of women who were very casual. I only got dressed up when I absolutely had to. There are chapters out there that will critique the shoes you wear as you walk out the door. Figure out what type of chapter you're dealing with before sign on the dotted line. Like rhoyal tempest said, "No one likes a complainer." If a chapter is made up of women who want to be associated to other women who care about their appearances EVERYWHERE they go...don't join them unless you want to do the same. You'll make yourself miserable. Be observant before you go through recruitment. Meet some of the sorority members and find out these answers. Women on message boards from different chapters, many of whom graduated many years ago, can't tell you what the chapters at UNT are like.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-21-2009, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter is very laid back. I'm surprised that some of our girls even own dresses. I'm a strong believer in sorority membership really prepares you for the real world and regardless of your job, their will be times when you have to dress up. It's doesn't mean changing who you are, just polishing up a bit. It definitely helps you know what type of clothes are right for your body type and most importantly when is the acceptable time for certain attire. You can be laid back and well put together at the same time.

When and if you go through recruitment, the focus should be on the personality and conversations as opposed to the outfits. That's the best way to find your right fit.

"To see beauty even in the common things of life..."