GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Gamma > Gamma Sigma Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,320
1 members and 2,319 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-23-2009, 03:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ECUGSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Hmm. In regards to founders, it seems that the emphasis in GSS is on the organizations/schools represented at the Beekman tower, not the women who were at the meeting. But a picture like that would tend to emphasize the women rather than their organizations (not easy to tell from the picture which women are from where) so it might not be an image that would be particularly publicized... Might cut down on the degree of founder worship that you find in some GLOs...

OK, GSS's Founder's day is what GSS says it is...

No territories, but what happens if the membership of a Alumni Chapter keeps shifting in one direction (say Cherry Blossom kept taking members and meeting farther and farther south...) Limited to within the GSS District? (not sure if DC was in the District V or District IV prior to the District change at the 2009 convention.

Being a faculty advisor doesn't make one a member of the sorority. Hmm. At least for the social fraternities and sororities at my alma mater, the school risk management practices said that they had to have advisors at the rituals.
Territories... Alums have the right to join whichever alum group... we have no district/state/city/county/zip code/area code, etc boundaries. It is not an issue for our organization. As I said, we have 2 in one city alone. It may be an issue in other organizations, but we do not have any issues with that. DC was and is still part of District 4.

As far as advisors---we both know that we are not a social sorority and thus this is not even a point that should be discussed further. We have certain types of memberships and certain things that must happen to get one of those... the virtue of you being an advisor does not make you a member of our organization.

The photo is already out there for our members... I don't believe I've ever encountered one member that has "founder worship" over the photo. It is a photo, taken that weekend. I think members are more excited about the fact that the photo was found and shared than whether or not that is an actual representation of our founding members, etc.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-23-2009, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUGSS View Post
Territories... Alums have the right to join whichever alum group... we have no district/state/city/county/zip code/area code, etc boundaries. It is not an issue for our organization. As I said, we have 2 in one city alone. It may be an issue in other organizations, but we do not have any issues with that. DC was and is still part of District 4.

As far as advisors---we both know that we are not a social sorority and thus this is not even a point that should be discussed further. We have certain types of memberships and certain things that must happen to get one of those... the virtue of you being an advisor does not make you a member of our organization.

The photo is already out there for our members... I don't believe I've ever encountered one member that has "founder worship" over the photo. It is a photo, taken that weekend. I think members are more excited about the fact that the photo was found and shared than whether or not that is an actual representation of our founding members, etc.

Thank you for the information on District 4.

I find the situation about the advisors to be fascinating, but given the fact that I don't think the GSS National bylaws are in a publicly available area of the web, I'll just move on.

I was probably unclear in regards to the "founder worship". I've seen cases in various GLOs (including, but not limited to NPHC groups and Alpha Phi Omega of the Philippines) ascribing almost Demigod Status to some if not all of the original founding members of the GLO. I find the complete lack of this type of "founder worship" in Gamma Sigma Sigma to be very refreshing.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Quote:
Whether there are Links depends on what type you are talking about, of course.

Legal, none. (But then as far as I can tell the only ones for that are ZPBS)
Historical, considerable, but varied by both time and place.
Ideals, certainly.
Cultural, depends on the school, with both the type of school and the gender status of the APO chapter affecting the relationship.

I think all of these are recognized at the National Level between the two organizations.
Well, certainly not legally, and maybe not as much historically, but ideally
and culturally I think there are quite a few. Some of our chapters were chartered with direct help from the local APO chapter (either morally or financially). We still have GSS and APO chapters that have a close relationship and work together all the time (although that's probably more evident with those APO chapters that are all male and both chapters have been at their school for awhile)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht
I would love to see what has been cleared up in terms of the Exact role of APO in the founding of GSS. As best as I can tell from the APO side, the Exact role of APO in the founding of GSS consisted of giving addresses and phone numbers to put women's service groups in contact with each other.
That's exactly what was cleared up. You probably already know about the APO meeting in Des Moines in 1950 and how they found about these different service groups. Maybe "cleared up" wasn't the right word on our end. It was more or less discovered after we started researching more into our founding.

Bottom line I feel our members appreciate finding out even more about Gamma Sig and even more importantly, we are all FINALLY on the same page about it.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 07-24-2009, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma_girl52 View Post
Well, certainly not legally, and maybe not as much historically, but ideally
and culturally I think there are quite a few. Some of our chapters were chartered with direct help from the local APO chapter (either morally or financially). We still have GSS and APO chapters that have a close relationship and work together all the time (although that's probably more evident with those APO chapters that are all male and both chapters have been at their school for awhile)

That's exactly what was cleared up. You probably already know about the APO meeting in Des Moines in 1950 and how they found about these different service groups. Maybe "cleared up" wasn't the right word on our end. It was more or less discovered after we started researching more into our founding.

Bottom line I feel our members appreciate finding out even more about Gamma Sig and even more importantly, we are all FINALLY on the same page about it.
In paragraph one, absolutely. Drexel, Florida A&M & Prairie View would be examples of those with strong ties...

On the other hand, its unfortunate that the chapters at Howard seem to have had a rough relationship at least in the last decade.

For Paragraph 2, When I can get my hands on it again, the Torch and Trefoil (The APO equivalent of Perspectives) with the minutes/results from the 1950 Convention in Des Moines does mention this effort.

Yay research! (And I swear if I find GSS chapter mentioning Miami of *Ohio* in their history, I'll let one of the GSS Sisters on greekchat correct them)
Old 07-26-2009, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Being a faculty advisor doesn't make one a member of the sorority. Hmm. At least for the social fraternities and sororities at my alma mater, the school risk management practices said that they had to have advisors at the rituals.

A faculty advisor is not the same as a Chapter advisor. Chapter advisors work on behalf of the fraternity or sorority, while a faculty advisor usually liaisons between the campus and the organizations.

In both organizations of which I am a member (Gamma Sigma Sigma and Alpha Xi Delta), only initiated members witness rituals.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ECUGSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
A faculty advisor is not the same as a Chapter advisor. Chapter advisors work on behalf of the fraternity or sorority, while a faculty advisor usually liaisons between the campus and the organizations.

In both organizations of which I am a member (Gamma Sigma Sigma and Alpha Xi Delta), only initiated members witness rituals.
In GSS, we consider chapter advisors and faculty advisors the same thing. We also have chapter consultants that ARE. Members of the sorority
Old 07-27-2009, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu-Scholar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUGSS View Post
In GSS, we consider chapter advisors and faculty advisors the same thing. We also have chapter consultants that ARE. Members of the sorority
True, because you must be a faculty or staff member at that respective institution in order to serve in that capacity. Yes, and the chapter consultants are beneficial in the respect that they are initiated members and are well aware and have access to the policies of the sorority.