GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,407
0 members and 2,407 guests
No Members online

Old 11-16-2006, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

University of Virginia

How competitive is rush at UVa? How necessary are recommendations?

Please PM me if you know anything about the houses as well.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-16-2006, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

If you got to UVA, you should get off this message board and go mingle.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I do not attend UVa. My friend's little sister will be going through recruitment in the spring.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat Sis View Post
I do not attend UVa. My friend's little sister will be going through recruitment in the spring.
Tell her to get grown and do her own research.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:02 PM

My understanding is that it is fairly competitive but not SEC competitive. She should definitely get some recs.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't go through it but do know a little something about it. The competitiveness is relative, I guess. If you want to be in a sorority--and any sorority will do--then it isn't really a worry. If you must be in a certain sorority or one of a couple than it can be very, very competitive. Of course, it does depend on the sorority.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi, I go to UVA. I hope your little sister loves it--I know I do! I'm only a first year but I'm already depressed that 1/8th of my college career at UVA is over.

From what I hear, rush is competitive in that it is very popular and many girls go through it, but I don't know anyone who is getting recs or sitting down with alumni. I don't have any connections--I'm not in-state, and my mom wasn't in a sorority--but I'm not worried. None of my friends do either. I mentioned it to my Rho Chi and she said to chill out, just be myself and the girls would love me.

I really shouldn't update you with the sorority's stereotypes...so I won't.

Last edited by cavaliercutie10; 12-21-2006 at 03:02 AM. Reason: You should form your own opinions instead of listening to stereotypes.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=cavaliercutie10;1373632]Hi, I go to UVA.
QUOTE]

Not to pick a fight, but yes you shouldn't be posting so-called reputations on GC. By saying that DG is the "best", you pretty much just said that any other sorority on campus is below them. And assuming there are quite a few girls in these chapters because well this is the South and its popular. While I understand that a lot of chapters take girls that are like them (which is understandable), with that many girls in a chapter it would be hard to say they follow one characterstic only. While I have never step foot on UVA campus and don't know alot about their chapters, I can say this: every single NPC sorority has something wonderful to offer each of its members, Period. Every chapter member of every different sorority is going to think her chapter is the best (and so she should). I just think posting so-called reputations is tacky and not cool. If you did not believe them, you would not be posting them. Like I said before, I am not trying to pick a fight with you, I just want you to think before you speak on here because you are speaking to many, many people and not all have the same idea of what is acceptable as you do. Yes I am Southern and am trying to put this in the nicest way I know how. I do not mean to hurt your feelings, you just need to learn what and what not to post on here. I went through it and so has everyone else on here.

Last edited by Ocalagirl; 12-21-2006 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry--she asked! I'm not saying I agree with them, I have never (knowingly) met any sisters from any of the sororities so I have NO idea if they are true or not. But you're right, I knew I shouldn't have posted them, and I think I'll go and edit them out right now.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:20 AM
Unregistered-

I realize you're new, so here's a piece of advice.

You may want to err on the side of caution when posting, especially during your recruitment period. Discretion is key -- that's something you'll see very often in recruitment story threads.

We realize that GC is a great resource for PNMs going through recruitment, but sometimes what is said online might harm instead of help. What you think is harmless might not be understood the same way by someone on your campus.

So, disclose what you feel comfortable with, but remember that you never know who might be reading.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:35 AM

Ugh, can we please edit this thread?

For cavaliercutie's sake, if nothing else, as her bid chances would probably go out the window if anyone from UVA read this and figured out her identity.

Not to mention giving rush advice when you aren't in a sorority is kind of like giving medical advice simply because you watched Grey's Anatomy.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Not to mention giving rush advice when you aren't in a sorority is kind of like giving medical advice simply because you watched Grey's Anatomy.
That never stopped certain people around here...
Speaking of - I must say, I'm shocked that RollerGirl2001 actually stayed gone.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Best of luck to you Cav Cutie! Reps aren't usually discussed in the open on GC, but feel free to PM me with any additional information.

Also, if you want to talk stereotypes, FS is the place to do so.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat Sis View Post
Best of luck to you Cav Cutie! Reps aren't usually discussed in the open on GC, but feel free to PM me with any additional information.

Also, if you want to talk stereotypes, FS is the place to do so.
You're directing a PNM there? IMO, that site's the LAST place to go if you're a PNM. They're impressionable as it is, and they certainly don't need the BS that goes on over there.

Nice work.

(Mods, feel free to delete this post if you decide to edit out her site reference)
Old 12-21-2006, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
You're directing a PNM there? IMO, that site's the LAST place to go if you're a PNM. They're impressionable as it is, and they certainly don't need the BS that goes on over there.

Nice work.

(Mods, feel free to delete this post if you decide to edit out her site reference)
Oh lord. Fine, take a large grain of salt with you if you wander over to FS.