GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,775
1 members and 2,774 guests
zaashleyshlzeo9

Old 08-21-2002, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Lauren,

Thanks so much for keeping us posted. Best of luck tomorrow morning!

Laura
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-21-2002, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, sounds like things are going well. Thanks for posting and keep us informed about the rest of recruitment!! The best of luck to you!!
Old 08-21-2002, 08:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
wow lauren...you are one busy girl! Goodluck with everything! Can't wait to hear about the invites...
Old 08-21-2002, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Thumbs up

Lauren, that was a great post! The detail was great and you sound like you're having a blast! Please come back VERY SOON and tell us more!!!
Old 08-21-2002, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Fewdfreak
Update!

I got my invites this morning, and I was surprised because I didn't get as many as I thought I would get. There were a few chapters that I really thought I clicked with, so I wonder why I got cut from them. (Maybe because I didn't do much this summer, and my name might be hard to forget?) I'm not really sad though because I got one chapter that I really really liked and felt really comfortable at, and the others weren't too bad and we had okay conversations.

The houses I got invited back to are:

Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Xi Delta
Delta Zeta

There weren't any girls in our group that cut from all of them, but our rho chi said that some of the other rho chis had a lot of girls that didn't get any. I know a few girls that only got one invite back. She said this year there were a lot of girls rushing (close to 600). So many of these girls were beautiful and already knew many girls in sororities, so it was tough.

We have to meet 12:15 to go to our skit parties.

I'll update when I get back.

L.
Old 08-21-2002, 10:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Best of luck Fewd!!! You've got three great choices there
Old 08-21-2002, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I hope you have a great time at all three of your parties! Skit Day is always the most fun (to me anyway). It gives you a chance to really see the personalities of the chapters and how they get along with each other.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Fewdfreak,
dzrose93 is right, Skit day is a blast! You'll have a wonderful time.
Don't worry about being released, if you are reading the other posts on GC you will see it is extremely, extremely common occurence, and has no bearing on what you can contribute to the sisterhood that in the end, is truly right for you.
And anyway you have three fabulous houses to go back to, I know one of them is particularly amazing!
Good luck, we are behind you all the way!
Fraternally,
violets
Old 08-22-2002, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Skit day/Round Two is today and tomorrow. Today I attended two parties, Alpha Xi Delta and Alpha Delta Pi, and tomorrow I go to DZ.

ADPi's skit was amazing! I went there first and I had a great conversation with several girls. Yesterday I was a bit unsure about this house because one girl was kind of opinionated, but the girls I talked with today were so great! We talked about school and places to live, got into what music we listen to, stuff like that. I asked her about living in the house, when and why she rushed, and stuff like that. Their house was decorated in Broadway themes like Phantom of the Opera (one girl even painted the scenery and I had thought that was professionally done!) Everything was decorated and the theme was so coordinated with the house. We drank Shirley Temples there. For their skit they had a Broadway talent agency. They had some girls come out, one was a tough motorcycle girl, the other was a mom who yelled at her kids, one was a lounge singer, another was lady with a lisp, one was a touristy type person wearing like different clothing (ie sandals and socks) and waving flags with a gazillion cameras, she talked and then the make believe director asked if she acted and she goes "I do Legally Blonde" and did bend and snap, that was so hilarious, and I loved it, they also had some dancers/cheerleaders, who "won" the contest. Then they broke into song and were singing and clapping and it was really good, I could feel how close all of the sisters were to one another.

I also went to AZD and talked there to a girl. Two seconds after we entered it started to POUR! We had such an excellent conversation and we both had a lot in common. I talked with her about living in the house, about the history, philanthropy, academics and sisterhood. They have a really strong bond and have won a lot of awards in scholarship and Greek Week. We have the same tastes in music and she lives Dave, John Mayer, and we talked coffee since we both LOVE that. I told her about this coffee shop where I am from that lets you try anything, and has the most amazing variety, etc... and now she is like, where is this, I am going there! There skit was very nice. I liked how the room was set up, kind of like a lounge or a club where they have preformers. The tables were beautiful. They called it Club Xi and the first girls danced and really cool choreagraphed dance, the next girls wore gold and did Respect, and then a music/voice major came out and sung a wonderful version of "No Such Thing" by John Mayer, and I was really impressed how they sang. The girls said they know each other very well, and all go out together and such, the sisterhood there seemed really tight. They finished with "We Are Family" and had AZD lyrics and it was really cool.

After this I walked back to the meeting dorm, Burge, and my shoe broke. I sat in there talking to another girl that got cut pretty heavily, and we talked. Then this alarm went off, and it was so annoying. People were running out, and I was like what the heck, but I didn't move (too tired) so then like ten minutes later they are like "You have to get out, that's the fire alarm." So we did, and the fire guys came and we waited while they investigated a strange odor or something, and someone's dad was talking pictures of the firemen then we got to go back in and went downtown to eat with our Rho Chi and Baldey's, this wrap place that is too good!!

Anyway, I wake up early for DZ, so I am so excited because I really liked it there the first round, after that I'm free after that until we get our next invites. I've got to go get a pair of shoes during the day for pref... What does everyone suggest, I want heels but not to formal/old fashioned and also not too casual. I think strappy maybe?

Until next time...

L.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
strappy heels are always good! make sure they are comfy!

and yeah for AZD!
Old 08-22-2002, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the terrific update! It's so cool that you are not only noticing how the sisters behave towards you...but also towards each other. VIP to get the vibe that they like each other....

I can't wait to hear how DZ went for you!
Old 08-22-2002, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I am glad that you are having fun! I can't wait to see what you think about DZ. Keep an open mind - and have fun!!!

Kerry
Old 08-22-2002, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Another Update!

I just got back from my only skit party of today. I went to Delta Zeta this morning, and I was excited because first round I talked with this really amazing woman that was super nice and down to earth. Today was the same--I talked different girl, and she was such wonderful girl! Their house was decorated in a Hard Rock, 50's cafe theme and it was so cool because they had it accesorized down to every last thing. We drank Coke out of these mini Coca-Cola glasses that were so cute! Also, I liked their name tags, I think they were records, so it went well with the theme. Another girl and I talked with the woman about academics there, the sisterhood, living-in, and she said so many positive things about living in the house, and being on the board there. She seemed really involved and dedicated. I think that we really clicked! I asked her if she was a founder, and how that was. She said that it was great being a founder and that it was so exciting to get the opportunity to bring DZ back to Iowa. (They are a colony.) She also said that they get their chapter installation in November, so she is really excited that they were successful, and that Iowa's Greek System gets to expand and continue expanding. She also talked about how everyone in the house is in at least one other activity and that was important to me because if you are able to be involved in groups, service activities, leadership, then you should so I liked that. I also liked how they said that they work with all of the Greeks, and hang out, have fun, and the sisters always have someone there for them at the house. The skit was two women at the Delta Zeta Hard Rock, and they were looking at menus and looking to choose, however it was not food they were choosing, but sororities! Their waitress came (who did the Elle Wood's Legally Blonde walk, and the funy thing was that I saw her before and was like "She looks like Reese Witherspoon...") the waitress them served them water with huge lemons on it, and the girls were like "no more water garnished with fruit" and I thought that was so cute. Then the waitress said that the sorority would be clear to them, and they would know which one they wanted to join in their hearts. Then one of the girls got up said "In order to have good rush, you must be up to date on current events" and quoted the Clueless "Hatians coming to America" speech. I was impressed that she knew the whole thing, (although I know it too, I'm a movie dork ) Also the waitress came out and said that this thing has a 98% success rate in a sorority inviite--the Bend and Snap! and it was cute. Also the girls at the cafe were treated to a dance show, and the girls sung to Grease about DZ, they did SNL cheerleaders to DZ, and then all of the girls broke into song! It was so good, I could feel that all these women must really have a tight sisterhood, I liked it here. For the final song they did "Buttercup" by The Foundations but it was DZ words, and that was so cool because I love that song! They all had arms around each other and it was so together, when I left that house I thought to myself, "I love it here."

Yesterday I wore a strechy criss cross at the boobs shirt and black capris with black Franco Sarto toe strap sandals. Today I wore a black skirt that was above the knee, a tan/buff colored boatneck top, and a black 3/4th legnth cardigan with a wide open neck and then the same sandals as yesterday. I bought this aqua blue dress Monday for Friday, but it is kinda big so I am going to either take it back, or get it altered. There is this white strapless I liked so hopefully they won't have my size anymore so I don't *have* to get it!

Tonight is invites again at 8PM, and we rank for tomorrow. I still am keeping an open mind because I have a lot of time to spend at the houses still, and there are still philanthropy day and pref, were most people have said it all comes down to. Meanwhile I am going to try and hit the mall for some shoes for pref before the 3 opeb stores that are in the mall are sold out, otherwise I will have to take the city bus to another mall, which I don't want to have to do because I lately I have been getting bus sick. But I will update you on my invitations, because tomorrow is philanthropy day, and we get to make a project at each house I have heard. Also it is sundress day, so my Rho Chi said that all the guys love this day or something.

Only three more days till Bid Day...

L.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

All I can say is WOW! Your story gave me chills (and not just because it was about DZ!). I wonder how many other PNM's notice so much detail??? You just keep having a great time, and I will wait on pins and needles to hear what happens next!!!
Old 08-22-2002, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Fewdfreak,
You are an amazing pnm. You are looking for and noting all the right things, the sisterhood, the diversity, the way the actives treat you and each other. So wonderful. And all the while I feel that you really are open to everyone and each chapter. I'm certain you are really going to contribute a lot wherever you end up!
And, as a rush thread addict, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all the details...little Coca-Cola glasses, records for name tags, Shirley Temples...you remember everything and that is so wonderful! You have really fed my addiction today, thank you!
Can't wait to see what's in store for you next!

Good luck honey!
violets