GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,767
0 members and 1,767 guests
No Members online

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2013, 02:19 PM

Amazing Tri Sigma AI story from Convention 2013.

I thought about posting about this before, but our most recent Alumnae Update put it into better words than I could have.

At the 43rd National Convention in June 2013, Tri Sigma initiated our Honor Alumnae Initiate, Elizabeth "Liz" Gillmore. Liz has quite a powerful story.

Imagine if you will, being an undergraduate and always being interested in joining a sorority, but your university didn't have sororities on campus. One day, you see a poster advertising a sorority that is coming to campus and you couldn't be more excited that your dreams are about to come true. After one information meeting, you immediately knew you could never live without the women of Sigma Sigma Sigma. The possibility of being a charter member is just an added bonus! So, you decide to join.

Although, it's not an easy process for you and your chapter members. The colony experiences ongoing struggles. Without a history of Greek life on the campus, the colony struggles to recruit members. Then during your senior year, after you've worked so hard to be initiated into an organization you've waited your whole life to join, the colony closes weeks before graduation.

Upset, disappointed and just a slew of emotions, you graduate and continue on, without achieving the goal of initiation. Until the day Tri Sigma comes back into your life through a twist of fate. You discover your Graduate Assistantship at the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse is with Tri Sigma's National President, Kaye Schendel. Tri Sigma is constantly coming up in conversations, and you've never felt stronger that deep in your heart you were meant to be a Tri Sigma sister.

As you work alongside Kaye, she begins to see your potential - your dedication, your love for student development, your tenacity. Then it all happens so fast. You are asked to join Tri Sigma as an alumna initiate, then recommended to become an initiate at Convention, then being selected to be initiate at Convention! In an instant, Kaye is standing alongside you at Convention as you are initiated in the Iota Alpha Chapter during Convention as the Honor Alumnae Initiate. Not just an initiate; the HONOR initiate! Your dream to have a lifetime bond with sisters and an Organization you so dearly love has become a reality.

The story above describes Liz Gilmore’s experience with Tri Sigma and sheds light on why she was selected by Executive Council to be the 2013 Alumna Honor Initiate. Liz never lost her longing to be a Tri Sigma. She always felt a special connection to Tri Sigma and we are very fortunate to have her finally join our bonds of friendship.

Of the initiation, Kaye has said, "Of all the initiation ceremonies I have done, Liz’s will hold a special place in my heart because I knew what being initiated meant to her and what it meant to me to FINALLY welcome her into our sisterhood. I think Liz will bring so much to our organization. She truly understands that membership is a lifetime commitment and is already looking for ways to get involved."

Lakers Nation.