GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,405
3 members and 2,402 guests
No Members online

Old 08-24-2008, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink Mother-Daughter Only Recruitment Story

I didn't find this forum until a year after my daughter went through recruitment and a couple of years after my niece went through - daughter "B" at Texas Tech and niece/cousin "J" at Ole Miss. Oh - the drama, the worries, the sleepless nights and the angst (primarily mine!) - yeah, they were bruised slightly but had very happy endings. Would have loved to have shared their stories back then - but maybe another time.
I will share another story that I hope will help some moms and dads and daughters going through recruitment now relax and smile a little.
Well... several months before daughter "B" headed off to college, my husband was scratching his head about all the talk about recruitment - local recs, thinking about outfits, legacies (yes, "B" is a legacy) - the usual yakking, worrying, thinking, etc. Well, one day he said that he and our beloved girl mutt, "K" were going to form a "fratority" - just he and the pup. Daughter "B" and I said no way - that we would recruit "K" into our own, new sorority first.
Hence the three of us - mutt "K", daughter "B" and me - "C" -- formed our own sorority - Kappa Beta Gamma. Our colors are Grape and Cherry snowcone. Our symbol is a heart with a paw print stamped in the middle. Our mascot is "any cute, adorable pup". Our philanthropy is the SPCA or any dog-loving organization including guide and service dogs. Our slogan is "Friends forever, together forever." (Obviously, we had some time on our hands and really got into it)
Our meetings are in the "big bed" - ie Dad's and my king size bed. Each meeting commences with a "puppy cuddle fest" and belly-rubbing session. And, we choose a new sorority song at each meeting which can range from some 50s/60s classic to a cool new top-10 or sometimes a treacle ballad.
Well, "B" went off to college but we talked daily about Kappa Beta Gamma and I think it helped (well, I like to think it helped) that after each recruitment party we could say "well, we will always have Kappa Beta Gamma". Are these girls KBG candidates? Did any of the girls talk about dogs?
I even found that there really is a small national called Kappa Beta Gamma and I found a KBG pin on ebay!!! Alas it was too expensive but I thought it would have been neat to send that to "B" right before the conclusion of her rush.
Finally, after she joined a sorority and got involved in school and activities, we hadn't heard from her in a week or so "K" and I sent her an email that went something like this - "The sisters of KBG met in the big bed on Tuesday and after a cuddle fest, the sisters reluctantly agreed that sister "B" would be placed on probation for being incommunicado. At this time we must ask that she refrain from wearing her grape and cherry snow-cone, puppy t-shirt and KGB letters." Naturally, "B" called immediately and was enthusiastically reinstated with lots of phone hugs.
"B" just started her senior year and we talked this week about recruitment and how she ended up right where she belonged (which, by the way, after Day 1 parties - her eventual home was #4 on her list. You never know!) and how she, pup "K" and I are still founding members and actives of KBG.
Thanks for letting me share an unusual recruitment story. Oh, and one more thing - we have considered recruiting a couple of neighborhood pups but none have met our high standards yet. One boy dog was an excellent candidate - but, well, he was a boy. Now please don't go crazy - but no cats allowed
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-24-2008, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

What a charming story!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I loved this story....and since i am petting out girl golden retreiver..no caps
Old 08-25-2008, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Adorable!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I would like to affiliate.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

No cats? Is that in your national bylaws or just a chapter thing?

Old 08-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW, my dog insists that he's a member of Alpha Delta Paw.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey...the girls can get pawdecures together once a week! And if anything goes wrong...call their congresspawson! (my dogs have theirs' on speed dial just in case there is no left over salmon, steak, or sprinkles cupcakes!)
Old 08-25-2008, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
I would like to affiliate.
Me too! You sound like a fun and close mother/daughter.

Thanks for a cute story!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

...oh, (and we have sent out these cards in real life)...holiday greeting cards with "Bone Noel! and Bone Chanukah!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
FWIW, my dog insists that he's a member of Alpha Delta Paw.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe I have a good candidate. Her name is Flo or "F". She loves people and being in the middle of things. She always tries to "help" especially when cleaning. I think the only problem would be at the end of meetings, she likes attention.

I laughed for about a good five minutes when I saw ADpaw...
Old 08-25-2008, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Woof!

I want to join! So does my black lab. He's a male-- but since he's neutered, that makes him gender neutral! Will that get him past Round 1?
Old 08-25-2008, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
LOVE IT!!! ROFL!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.C. a Pi Phi View Post
LOVE IT!!! ROFL!!!
Thank you, thank you. Honeychile gave me the idea, I just executed it

I still need to work on that Syracus Power Triad flag, but am having trouble dealing with the orange.