GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,156
2 members and 1,154 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 07-20-2018, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

A "Spicy" Recruitment

Now that I have graduated and it has been several years since I went through recruitment, I think it is time to share my recruitment story! We have a large Panhellenic community at my school, so I decided to use spices and seasonings to name each chapter. I couldn't come up with a method that had enough names!

Some background: I went through as a sophomore and decided immediately after recruitment my freshman year that I would be participating. I knew quite a few people who had already gone through and loved their chapters, and I wanted to be a part of it. This led to a lot of time spent preparing and researching for the process, but I was still not prepared when the first day rolled around!

The Spices:
Paprika
Cayenne Pepper
Coriander
Curry
Thyme
Oregano
Cumin
Cinnamon
Garlic
Sage
Marjoram
Chili
Basil
Cardamom
Mustard
Dill
Fennel
Ginger
Rosemary
Cloves
Nutmeg
Poppy Seeds

Open House-Day 1:

It was frigid outside at 4 am when I got up to start my day, but I was so excited that I didn't mind. By the time the first round started, the nerves set in.

Paprika was the first chapter on the list. I was a nervous wreck waiting outside! The Rho Gammas started counting down, 5...4...3...2...1...Let's just say I was not warned about door stacks. After I could breathe again, we walked inside to a cacophony of clapping and singing. I quickly relaxed, as this was my best friend/roommate's chapter and I already knew several of the women. The round went by quickly and I was surprised when the women began to clap and sing again. I loved the conversations I had and I was excited to (hopefully!) be invited back.

Cayenne Pepper was the next chapter. Having one round under my belt, I was much more at ease for this round. The women were loud and I could tell that they were having fun. I talked to several women, and we spent the entire round laughing and sharing different stories. I enjoyed my time here and I wanted to come back and get to know them more.

Coriander, much like the other rounds, was loud and exciting. This time, however, I was less comfortable. Overall, I liked the chapter. I had good conversations and felt like the women were making their best effort to engage me, but I didn't think I would fit very well here. I couldn't put my finger on exactly why, but I left with a sense that I would not be returning.

Curry is a chapter that many PNMs love. The conversations were good as the women I talked to were polished and obviously knew how to carry a conversation well. All the same, we did not have much in common and the conversations did not stray far past majors, where I'm from, and how I liked my school. I would not mind returning, but I didn't think I would.

Thyme is another chapter coveted by PNMs. Up to this point, the rounds had been going well. The conversations weren't awkward and the women were nice. This time, however, I just wanted to leave. The conversations hit dead ends several times and I asked a lot of questions about the chapter to fill time. Their answers were less than inspiring and I got the feeling that they were not very interested in me after we established that I didn't like to travel much. Obviously these women were not the group for me and I left not wanting to return.

Oregano is yet another PNM favorite. As much I wanted to give this chapter a chance, the women were talking badly about other sisters on the side during the opening presentation. I did NOT want to be a part of this. The conversations went better than I expected after that, but I got the feeling that they did not want to talk to me and were just being polite. I did not want to return to this chapter and had a gut feeling they did not want me to either.

Cumin was the first chapter after our lunch break. It had already been a long day, but we had miles to go before the end. The chapter was loud and seemed to really be enjoying themselves. Unfortunately, the conversations were less than stellar. I had decent conversations with a couple of the women, but one conversation was difficult. I could not for the life of me get any energy out of her. It seemed like she did not want to be there and it made me very uncomfortable. I was so glad to leave this chapter and honestly did not want to be invited back. On top of all of this, my water bottle leaked everywhere during this round, and I was frantically drying the things in my bag while we raced to the next chapter.

Cinnamon was a chapter that I had fallen in love with by researching it, and I was hoping beyond all hope to have a great experience here. I did! I LOVED this chapter. The women that I talked to were absolute sweethearts. One woman and I laughed so hard that when the groups bumped, she was still laughing as she walked away. I did not want to leave when the time came and I was silently praying all the way to the next chapter that they liked me enough to invite me back.

Garlic was up next and I was still smiling from the last round. The conversations were awkward at times and almost strayed into off-limits topics, but they may not have been trained as well on recruitment as a newer chapter so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. They were sweet women and overall I had a good time. I was okay with coming back here, but I was hoping that I would have more experiences like the previous round at other chapters and I would not end up returning.

Sage was a chapter that I was familiar with through friends and I had been looking forward to visiting all day. I was not disappointed! The conversations were easy and comfortable, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I asked a lot about their philanthropy and we spent a long time talking about why we were in/wanting to join sororities. I left wanting to return.

Marjoram was the last chapter of the day. It was getting late, but the door stack was so loud that I was wide awake! I talked to one woman about figure skating for quite a while, and had friendly conversations with the others I talked to. I was glad to end on a high note, and wanted to be invited back to learn more about the chapter.

Exhausted after such a long day, I went home and immediately crashed. I had to rest up to do this all again the next day.

To Bind, To Strive, To Aid
Old 07-20-2018, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone else guessing Indiana?
Old 07-21-2018, 03:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
Me! (And if it is, yay! I always like to read stories from my alma mater.)
Old 07-21-2018, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What other school has that many chapters AND winter recruitment?
Old 07-21-2018, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Open House-Day 2:

After an all too brief night, I was up and out again for the other half of the chapters.

Chili was up first. Today, on top of the cold weather, it was raining! Thankfully, the ladies were gracious and let us wait in a back room. Once the round started, I completely forgot about the weather. I fell in love with this chapter! The women I talked to were bubbly and we spent the round discussing their philanthropy and our involvement on campus. When the round ended, I was not ready to leave, and not because of the rain!

Basil was up next, and there was a break in the rain so we were waiting outside. Right before the round started, a car full of guys drove past and yelled at us. My Rho Gamma proceeded to shout back some choice words, but she was drowned out by the round beginning. Once we walked in, I was stunned. The energy at this chapter was overwhelming! During their presentation, I could hardly understand what was being said due to their shouting. The women I talked to had the same over-the-top energy. The women I talked to were nodding vigorously at my answers and smiled like "Tour Guide Barbie." I was relieved when the round ended and I could relax. I did not want to return to this chapter if the women were all like this!

Cardamom let us wait in a back stairwell, as it was raining again. This round was much calmer than the last, and I was instantly at ease. The women were easy to talk to and had a great deal in common with me. The conversations were deeper than normal, and I felt that I could fit in well with this chapter. I left hoping to return the next day!

Mustard was next. This chapter surprised me! I tried to ignore the tent talk, but it's hard being a sophomore. The women I talked to were genuinely friendly and I enjoyed my time here. As much as I liked this chapter, I had a feeling that I didn't fit the group that normally joined. I hoped I would be invited back, but was expecting not to be.

Dill was a good round as well! Many of the PNMs I knew said some negative things about the chapter, but I honestly didn't see it. The women I talked to were sweet and the conversations flowed well. I liked this chapter a lot and was hoping to get to see more of them.

Fennel was immediately after lunch. I LOVED this chapter! It quickly became my favorite. All of the women were upbeat and smiling and wanted to know more about me. Once conversation turned to sisterhood and what it meant to us. We both ended up getting teary eyed! I left feeling like this chapter was a good fit and desperately wanting to be invited back.

Ginger was yet another great chapter! There was very clearly a "fun" atmosphere here and the women were goofy and obviously comfortable being themselves. I immediately loved this and wanted to see more. The women I talked to were involved in similar things as I was and the round flew by quickly.

Rosemary. I honestly was shocked at this chapter. Even at chapters where I was less comfortable, the women still made some effort to engage me and get to know me. They were trying to find sisters, after all! But at this chapter, the one woman I talked to for the entire round clearly did not want to talk to me. It was like pulling teeth to get any answer about her or the chapter. She would not make eye contact, was slumped in her chair, and had her arms crossed. I tried my best, but I did not want to be invited back, as they clearly did not want me there.

Cloves followed, and I still had a bitter feeling from the previous round. Thankfully, the women at this chapter were friendly and wanted to talk to me. The issue this time was the noise! We were talking in a front room that echoed like nothing else, and I was constantly asking the women to repeat themselves. We were all shouting to hear each other, and it led to a difficult conversation. From what I heard, though, I liked the women. I just felt that I would not be returning since they couldn't learn much about me.

Nutmeg was the other chapter that I loved while doing research. I was hoping that my experience here would be as good as at Cinnamon. No such luck. This was the one chapter that I was "double-rushed" at during open house, and the other PNM was clearly the interest of the sister we were talking to. I was almost ignored! I tried to stay engaged, even if I wasn't talking or being asked questions. Luckily, we talked to more than one woman and they were much more polite and engaged us both equally. I wanted to love this chapter, but I didn't want to go somewhere that did not want to talk to me. I did not expect an invitation back.

Poppy Seeds was the last round of the day! I had made it! If the women of this chapter were tired, I would have never guessed. Their energy was through the roof, but they were also down-to-earth and relaxed when I was talking to them. The women I talked to told me stories of their sisterhood and how much they loved living with such great women. I found myself smiling and expressing that what they described was what I wanted! I wanted a family in the sorority I would join. I left thankful that my day ended well and wishing to return.

With Open House round over, it was time to rank the chapters. All I needed to do was pick my "bottom 6," but I had clear favorites as well. I ranked the chapters as follows:

Top (In no particular order):
Paprika
Cayenne Pepper
Coriander
Curry
Cinnamon
Sage
Marjoram
Chili
Cardamom
Mustard
Dill
Fennel
Ginger
Cloves
Nutmeg
Poppy Seeds

Bottom:
1. Basil
2. Garlic
3. Cumin
4. Thyme
5. Oregano
6. Rosemary

The two that I definitely wanted back were Cinnamon and Fennel.

After ranking, I went straight to bed. Philanthropy round and the first set of cuts would be emotional!

Old 07-22-2018, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
What other school has that many chapters AND winter recruitment?
I was guessing Indiana from the beginning given the number of chapters and the description that one of the chapters was newer. Also, I think I figured out the order of the chapter visits too. I like how we know she joined a chapter and had a great experience.

Last edited by IndianaSigKap; 07-22-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Philanthropy Round

I was bracing myself for the worst but hoping for the best when I went to meet my Rho Gamma for my list. I knew being a sophomore could hurt my chances, but I was hoping that my good conversations had tilted things in my favor.

She hands me the list.

Sage
Chili
Cumin
Cayenne Pepper
Garlic
Paprika

What? What happened? Where are Cinnamon and Fennel? What did I do wrong? We had a maximum of 16 chapters this round, and I had 6. It wasn't my GPA, because I had almost a 4.0 as a sophomore. I was heavily involved on campus. I had recs for many of the chapters. I knew women in the chapters. Did I say something wrong?

Blinking back tears, I started my mantra for the rest of recruitment: It only takes one. I had spent a lot of time on GC and I knew that these chapters wanted me and I needed to give them my all. The other chapters did not see me as a good fit and I needed to let them go. Plus, I still had chapters that I really liked from the first round!

I turned to my Rho Gamma and explained my thoughts. A shaky smile and hug later, she said she was proud of me. On the plus side, I only had one day of rounds for philanthropy! I got a day off!

It only takes one. It only takes one. It only takes one...

Sage was the first chapter on my list. I had mostly contained my emotions from the morning and was ready to go. I loved this chapter the other day, after all. The philanthropy presentation was adorable and I could see myself becoming very involved. We started the craft got to chatting. I was surprised to find that the conversations did not flow as well this round. I liked this chapter, but it did not strike me as a great fit like it did during Open House.

Chili was up next. This round blew me away! I loved this chapter during Open House, and I loved them again this round. The philanthropy was personal to me and the women I talked to were clearly passionate about it. The women I talked to were in my major and we shared stories about classes and what we wanted to do for careers. The round passed all too quickly and I left hoping that they would invite me back.

Cumin was a chapter that I did not like during the first round. Philanthropy round changed my opinion by 180 degrees! I talked to one woman about cats and science for our entire conversation. We were so much alike that it felt like I was talking to a friend. All of the other women I talked to were open and friendly, and I was not ready to leave. It only helped that they were very involved in their philanthropy and were knowledgeable on the details when I asked questions. I left with a new view of this chapter, and I was honestly hoping they would invite me back, a far cry from the last round!

Cayenne Pepper was a chapter that I loved during the previous round. Unfortunately, it felt lackluster during philanthropy. I loved their philanthropy, but my questions weren't answered and I felt that the women may not have been as passionate about it. My conversations were also less engaging. I spoke to the woman who had been my orientation leader, but the conversation was still on the dull side. I was beginning to doubt how well I would fit in this chapter.

Garlic was again in the middle for me. They were not the worst, but I did not get a great connection with any of the women I talked to. The philanthropy was unique and I enjoyed talking to the women about it, as they truly cared about it. The conversations beyond the philanthropy fell a little flat, though. The women were sweet, and I felt like I could fit in here, but it was not a stand out like Chili orCumin at this point.

Paprika was the last chapter of my day. I talked to an entire bump group of women that I knew, and the conversations went incredibly well! I hardly had the chance to ask questions about the philanthropy or anything else, which I was a little disappointed in. I liked these women, but I wanted to learn about the philanthropy! In the end I chalked it up to we were having so much fun that it would be a conversation for another day. I was excited to return to this chapter, should they invite me.

My day ended quite early, so I spent the evening relaxing and ordered take out food. I spent a long time reflecting on my day and ranked by myself for reference, as the group ranking would be at the end of the next day. I had no rounds the next day, which was a huge blessing because it snowed, and I got to stay snug and warm inside!

Ranking was top 9-bottom 7, and since I only had 6, all of the chapters were in the top section. I ranked the chapters in order for my reference.

Top:
Chili
Paprika
Cumin
Sage
Garlic
Cayenne Pepper

Old 07-22-2018, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Sisterhood Round

I was nervous to see my list for this round, especially after Philanthropy round. As I walked over to meet my Rho Gamma, I was preparing myself for the possibility that I would only have a couple of houses, and that Chili or Paprika would not be on my list.

She handed me my list, I took a deep breath, and...

Cumin
Garlic
Paprika

I swallowed the lump in my throat and tried to smile. I still had 3 chapters! Sure, the max was 9, but 3 is better than none, right? The sting of being cut from Chili was harder to take than I was expecting, though, and I had to give myself some time in my room to get the tears out before I could start my day.

It only takes one. It only takes one. It only takes one...

Cumin had been hit or miss so far, but I was quickly starting to love this chapter. I walked in for the round to start, and the woman I had clicked so well with was waiting for me! Our conversation went incredibly well and I could clearly see she loved her sisters. In fact, all of the interactions between the sisters were friendly and I could tell they enjoyed being around each other. The video we watched was adorable and I could honestly see myself being a part of this chapter.

Garlic was a chapter that I desperately wanted to get to know. I thought I was not connecting well with them, but they wanted to see more of me. I had a better round for sisterhood! Their video highlighted how close the chapter was and the woman I talked to was much more inviting than before. I left with a much better feeling about this chapter, and I was glad that I had been given another chance to see what they were like!

Paprika had been a favorite of mine throughout the process. Sisterhood round was no exception. The woman I spoke with was someone I didn't know yet, but she had a similar personality to the women in the chapter that I knew. The video moved me to tears, and I spent the round talking about what sisterhood and friendship meant to me. As always, I left wanting to return.

When it came time to rank, I placed all 3 chapters in the top (it was top 3/bottom 6). I placed the chapters in order:

Top:
Paprika
Cumin
Garlic

Now to wait for preference round! Only one more day!

Old 07-21-2018, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

I am enjoying your thread OP.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Whew-and much deserved rest!
Old 07-23-2018, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Oooh. Can't wait!
Old 07-23-2018, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

What a great story so far, and I'm glad it all worked out and you found your home.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

This is such a great story. You are touching on all the feelings that pnms universally feel. Thank you for sharing. Hopefully, this can prepare some of the pnms getting ready to start this process. It makes it much easier to read knowing that there is a happy ending.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Preference Round

This morning, my Rho Gamma was smiling when I met her for my list.

I looked down to find:

Cumin
Garlic
Paprika

All three had invited me back! I was thrilled! Now to run around in the snow while all dressed up...

Cumin was beautiful today! The ceremony was gorgeous and I found myself tearing up listening to the sisters talk about their meaningful experiences in the sorority. Some sisters sang a precious song and I was struck by how the rest of the chapter looked. All of the sisters were smiling and several were in tears or singing along. The woman I talked to was older and told me about her love for the chapter. I could tell how much she cared for the chapter and that she had been changed by her time with them. After a long and intense conversation on sisterhood, we laughed about how emotional we were getting and spent the rest of the round talking about movies that we liked. It was a nice break, and I thought our conversations reflected how a true friendship worked. I left overwhelmed by the experience and on the verge of tears.

Garlic was another awkward experience, unfortunately. The ceremony was unusual and I felt out of place participating. I was relieved when it was over, honestly. Then I was "double-rushed," which was disappointing for such an important round. The other PNM did not want to be there, and I tried to engage the sister we were talking to, but it did not go very well. I left knowing I would rank them last.

Paprika was actually a disappointment to me this round. The ceremony itself was beautiful, and I could tell that the sisters loved the sorority. As soon as I started talking to the woman I was paired with, however, I started to get a bad feeling. She did not want to answer any of my questions. When she did, they were in a negative manner about the sorority and she didn't make eye contact with me. I asked her point blank what she liked about the chapter, and she said nothing! Now, I knew that the sisters were not all like this, as the many I knew and the ones I talked to during recruitment were not. I assumed she was tired or sick and that she just wanted the round to be over. At one point, I made eye contact with my best friend across the room, and she gave me a half smile, seeming to understand what was going on. I left upset that pref round had gone poorly, but I still loved this chapter.

When I went to rank, I realized what I predicament I was in. I wanted to be sisters with my best friend and I liked her sisters, but I had better conversations and experiences overall at Cumin during recruitment. I spent some time talking to my Rho Gamma, and she told me that she almost didn't pref her chapter because she had liked the idea of another chapter more. I thought this over and three hours later I came to my conclusion:

I loved Paprika and I knew the women in it were like me. I would be sisters with my best friend. If something happened, I would gladly take a bid from Cumin as it was a great chapter. I would give Garlic a chance, but I wasn't sure if I would stick with them.

My final ranking was:
1. Paprika
2. Cumin
3. Garlic

With my card signed, we went off to Rho Gamma reveal and I settled in for the wait for bid day!!

Old 07-23-2018, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

BID DAY

Just two hours after I signed my MRABA, I panicked.

I made the wrong choice. I would rather join Cumin than Paprika. I felt more comfortable there. I did exactly what my Rho Gamma talked about and ranked Paprika first because I liked the idea of it more. But it's too late! What if I end up hating Paprika?

All day I mulled over my mistake. When the time to go collect my bid card rolled around, I was shaking. I was terrified to open it. I had texted my Rho Gamma earlier, so she knew what I was going through. She tentatively handed me my card. I took a deep breath and opened to envelope to find a bid to...

CUMIN!!! I ended up getting the chapter that I felt I belonged in, even though I ranked it second! I screamed and ran home to...

ALPHA SIGMA ALPHA! They welcomed me with open arms and I have enjoyed every minute with this sorority! I would not trade my experience for anything. They have been with me through some very difficult times and became my family away from home. As an aside, I eventually learned from my best friend that I was supposed to be paired with a woman that I knew for pref. As soon as she saw who I was with, she knew I was in trouble. Whatever happened, I ended up with a great sorority and I still spent a lot of time with my best friend and her sisters.

Recruitment was a long and emotional process, but I loved it because it brought me home. I am looking forward to continuing to be involved in ASA as an alumna.