GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,847
1 members and 1,846 guests
haledarkz870

Old 02-08-2017, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Beta Theta Pi pledge dies at Penn State

Such a tragic event at Beta Theta Pi at Penn State.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/que...id=LENOVODHP15
Old 02-08-2017, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Just tragic. It sounds like an awful accident. I've seen a lot of reports where people are jumping to conclusions before the facts are fully investigated.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-11-2017, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Just tragic. It sounds like an awful accident. I've seen a lot of reports where people are jumping to conclusions before the facts are fully investigated.
I have to agree here as we all have or could be accused of this including myself.

My main problem with this whole thing was how long it took to contact some one for help for this young man! I am very disturbed by that fact!

I also get upset with any College is when something happens the Fraternity is suspended with out a full review of all of the circumstances. But in todays enviroment, that seems to be the norm today.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-08-2017, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I agree that it probably was an accident. But the resulting issues are the problem: providing alcohol to minors, moving the injured party without regard to possible spinal or brain trauma and NOT calling for help immediately.
As advisors, we are so aware and constantly preach the correct response. Sadly, this could have been many national chapters at many schools. There are too many litigatable issues to even count.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

There are lots of good defenses too, i.e., assumption of the risk. When the school has apparently labeled it as a "pledge/hazing event," I tend to wait until the facts come out because it's going to be either ridiculously bad for Beta, or there could still be a perfectly reasonable explanation for this terrible tragedy. Time will tell. Not speculation.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Penn State bans fraternity parties from serving alcohol

http://www.wpxi.com/news/penn-state-...ohol/492646295

@~/~~~~
Old 02-10-2017, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Is that house fairly new? I remember going to a few parties there (a few years ago), but I don't remember it looking like that.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Penn State bans fraternity parties from serving alcohol

http://www.wpxi.com/news/penn-state-...ohol/492646295
I really don't like it that schools do this. Now, instead of partying mostly safely at home, they'll party in rented houses all around town, then drive back to their homes. Far less safe. Kids are going to drink in college. The best thing we can do is educate them on how to do it responsibly--and a policy stating that all underage drinking is irresponsible and we're going to pretend it doesn't happen will claim lives.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Suspended isn't the same as expelled.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:09 PM

They've "suspended" or "banned" fraternity parties at Penn State a million billion times. It usually lasts until the next upcoming vacation (thanksgiving, Christmas, spring break, end of year) is over. No one wants that whole party population unleashed into the general State College area permanently.

For being the Whiskey Rebellion state, Pennsylvania has always had the most ridiculous puritanical laws toward alcohol (which of course bear no resemblance to what actual humans do). Maybe now that we're stepping firmly into the 1970s & selling beer in grocery stores, we'll also change attitudes and realize that keeping kids safe more important than busting them for drinking underage.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Remember, Liam Neesom's wife, Natasha Richardson, fell and hit her head while skiing. She was "fine", talking and refusing medical treatment for several hours before someone finally got her to the hospital. She later died.

If the young man in this case was also intoxicated, I can understand why the others didn't fully recognize his injuries. Like Kevin said, we need to wait for the full facts to come out.

True and Constant
Old 05-06-2017, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Remember, Liam Neesom's wife, Natasha Richardson, fell and hit her head while skiing. She was "fine", talking and refusing medical treatment for several hours before someone finally got her to the hospital. She later died.

If the young man in this case was also intoxicated, I can understand why the others didn't fully recognize his injuries. Like Kevin said, we need to wait for the full facts to come out.

Well...I said we should wait until the full facts are out and the facts are indeed now coming out. I've just read an article which presents a more detailed picture of what happened. The nearly hour-by-hour description of this young man's death are horrific and, apparently, the events were caught on video surveillance cameras. So sad.

The article: https://www.yahoo.com/gma/penn-state...opstories.html

True and Constant
Old 05-06-2017, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Horrific doesn't begin to describe Timothy Piazza's death. How did it take over 12 hours to get him to the hospital? Twelve!
Old 02-13-2017, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Just saw this article--freshman dies after night of binge drinking: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-drinking.html
Old 02-15-2017, 04:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
Just saw this article--freshman dies after night of binge drinking: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-drinking.html
??? This is at MU in Ohio