GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,748
0 members and 1,748 guests
No Members online

Old 03-25-2005, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Diamond4 Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond4
Thumbs up Multi-Cultural Councils

Hey all...

I am a proud member of Lambda Psi Delta Sorority, Inc. We are Nationally affiliated with NMGC-National Multicultural Greek Council. My chapter in Tampa, FL is affliated with UGC-Unified Greek Council as the local council. What are the names or types of councils on your campus relating to cultural org.'s?? Is it UGC? MGC? DGC?
Old 03-25-2005, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Is your sorority for people of mixed heritage, or is it just a sorority that doesn't want to be labeled black or white?
Old 03-25-2005, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

We are MULTI-Cultural....we are not black...we are not white....we are not latin...we cater to all cultures and backgrounds...
Old 03-25-2005, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Diamond4
We are MULTI-Cultural....we are not black...we are not white....we are not latin...we cater to all cultures and backgrounds...
How so?
Old 03-25-2005, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

We didn't have enough "catch-all" type organizations on my yard for them to have a council. They just joined the IFC/PHC.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

What do you mean how so...you question makes no logic to me...Im not being rude...maybe your campus doesn't have orgs like mine I guess...Im trying to understand your confusion.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What do you mean how so...you question makes no logic to me...Im not being rude...maybe your campus doesn't have orgs like mine I guess...Im trying to understand your confusion.

You said your org. "caters" to people of all backgrounds and cultures. She appears to be asking how they "cater" to them.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Well in that aspect...it's more sought on the values of the org. than who can or can't join it. Not everyone is made out to be Greek. And everyone seeks certain aspects of GL.
We are community service based and cultural awareness. We hold national events expressing unity and celebrating each others various backgrounds. We also party, do step/stroll and all that jazz too...
Old 03-25-2005, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Uh...how do you cater to all backgrounds? I'm not sure how to state the question more simply than that. Is it through your recruitment activities? Do you specifically target any and everyone? When you do service, is the emphasis on the whole, as opposed to a specific subgroup of a community?

I checked out your website, and am noticing your signature that has components of black greekdom in it. I also noticed more Hispanic and Black members. Are these the "multi-cultural" communities that you cater to?

Not trying to be rude. I know someone who will be attending USF next year, and am really just trying to find out the other organizations that cater to non-white ladies. Your siggy caught my attention because you attend USF and are part of an org. that is not traditionally a white glo.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok I got you now, sorry for the confusion. In our foundings, yes there are aspects of both NPHC and LGLO in ours. In all of our aspects we target to everyone, not one particular group. Service projects we hold are more about community and empowerment of women more than providing service to one particular subgroup. We do happen to have many latin and african american sisters, but those are not our limits, nor are they the ONLY people. We accept and would love sisters of every decent...white, black, asian, indian, etc. Have your friend check out the org's at usf...USF Student Activities and go to the Greek Life section of it so she can research the org's on campus.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Diamond4; 03-25-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ok I got you now, sorry for the confusion. In our foundings, yes there are aspects of both NPHC and LGLO in ours. In all of our aspects we target to everyone, not one particular group. Service projects we hold are more about community and empowerment of women more than providing service to one particular subgroup. We do happen to have many latin and african american sisters, but those are not our limits, nor are they the ONLY people. We accept and would love sisters of every decent...white, black, asian, indian, etc. Have your friend check out the org's at usf...USF Student Activities and go to the Greek Life section of it so she can research the org's on campus.

Hope this helps
Gotcha! And thanks for the info.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

MGC @ UVA

wait a minute? This IS my signature.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphiangel624
UC Riverside has recently formed an Ethnic Sorority/Fraternity Council (ESFC) which is in the process of changing it's name to Multi-Cultural Sorority/Fraternity Council. It's a brand new council and the 26 organizations that have the option of being a part of it are using the United S/F Council at San Diego State as a model. We're hoping that the new council will encourage orgs that aren't represented by a council like Panhellenic and IFC to establish new councils; we should have NPHC by the end of Spring quarter (haven't had NPHC since the mid-90s) and then hopefully the councils will get equal representation.

If anyone has any good ideas or resources to provide to a new M/C council, please PM me! I work with the student organizations at UCR and have been providing a lot of advising to our new council to help get them recognized on campus.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

SDSU has the largest multi greek council in the country:

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/%7eusfc/
Old 03-25-2005, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaSigStan
SDSU has the largest multi greek council in the country:

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/%7eusfc/
This council has such great principles. You can see the credibility and professionalism from the site alone. National conferences and all...it's great...Im definately taking this to my council...right now it's in the process of splitting from ugc ....to ugc and nalfo