GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,415
3 members and 1,412 guests
aagelusasd8172

Old 05-03-2004, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Showbiz Moms and Dads-Bravo

I haven't had a chance to watch this show. I can only imagine what it's like. Does anyone watch this regularly?
Old 05-03-2004, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BLUTANG Send a message via Yahoo to BLUTANG
not regularly, but i did catch it last week. There was an AfAm showbiz mom (who was one of hammer's dancer's back-n-da day) who's daughter landed a role in an upcoming film with Loretta Divine. The little girl seems VERY bright and happy to be acting, and her mom is very invloved but i wouldn't say overbearing.

Also, there is a little girl (white) maybe 4 or 5 years old that her mom and beauty coach TAN before each competition. They use the airbrush tan that coats your skin instead of tanning beds... so i guess that's good but too much of ANYTHING is harmful for young skin, IMO. The mom can't understand why her little girl isn't winning competitions anymore (((lol, like she's 4 years old and already past her prime)))... i see another Jon Benet with this family if people ain't careful.

I also saw something about a boy about 10 or so doing a commercial and a teenage girl trying to land a callback after an audition. i didn't pay too much attention to those families, though.... i couldn't get over the little girl and her spray-on tan.

The show is pretty interesting (and kind of scary, to me at least) because i grew up doing pageants and performances. My friends and I joke by saying i'll be the main one who turns out to be a stage mother but the ones who are parents now are already taking their children to auditions and whatnot...
Old 05-03-2004, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Paradise359
Yeah, I just started watching this show about 2 weeks ago & it's quite interesting... Kinda sad sometimes because you can see that the mothers & fathers are really the ones into this acting thing & the kids are just along for the ride.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
Originally posted by BLUTANG
not regularly, but i did catch it last week. There was an AfAm showbiz mom (who was one of hammer's dancer's back-n-da day) who's daughter landed a role in an upcoming film with Loretta Divine. The little girl seems VERY bright and happy to be acting, and her mom is very invloved but i wouldn't say overbearing.

Also, there is a little girl (white) maybe 4 or 5 years old that her mom and beauty coach TAN before each competition. They use the airbrush tan that coats your skin instead of tanning beds... so i guess that's good but too much of ANYTHING is harmful for young skin, IMO. The mom can't understand why her little girl isn't winning competitions anymore (((lol, like she's 4 years old and already past her prime)))... i see another Jon Benet with this family if people ain't careful.

I also saw something about a boy about 10 or so doing a commercial and a teenage girl trying to land a callback after an audition. i didn't pay too much attention to those families, though.... i couldn't get over the little girl and her spray-on tan.

The show is pretty interesting (and kind of scary, to me at least) because i grew up doing pageants and performances. My friends and I joke by saying i'll be the main one who turns out to be a stage mother but the ones who are parents now are already taking their children to auditions and whatnot...
About the girlina and the tan: we are probably seeing another JonBenet in the making. Sorry, that poor baby was tarted up by her sicko parents.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BLUTANG Send a message via Yahoo to BLUTANG
Quote:
Originally posted by bitsy196
I saw this the other afternoon, and all I could do was shake my head. It's sad that these parents are trying to live vicariously through their children. Did you see the family who moved with their 7 children to a 3-bedroom apartment in New York? Only one of those kids is touring with a show, and the rest don't seem interested at all. The parents want fame more than the kids.
That same family was on Oprah a few weeks ago. The therapists wanted him to see that his kids really didn't care about showbiz or stardom, they just wanted his love and attention. I think this dad REALLY needs help... and an azz whoopin by his wife, IMO.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bitsy196
I saw this the other afternoon, and all I could do was shake my head. It's sad that these parents are trying to live vicariously through their children. Did you see the family who moved with their 7 children to a 3-bedroom apartment in New York? Only one of those kids is touring with a show, and the rest don't seem interested at all. The parents want fame more than the kids.
I just caught it today and I think they are in a 2br CRAMPED apartment. HOT MESS. Isn't that a health hazard? It seems like he is having a serious mid-life crisis and is dragging his poor family along for the ride.

Jordan and her mom seemed to be the most normal. I think its great that she doesn't pressure her daughter and they have realistic expectations.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw the show for the first time yesterday. OMIGOODNESS!! This show is a hot mess. By far, I think that Jordan and Kimberley were the most well adjusted family (but, I may be biased because she's a Spelman alumna ).

It was a really weird dynamic. The parents are totally living through their children. On the other hand, in the case of the mom with the preteen boy and 14 year-old Jordan and mom, the parent's are sacrificing alot for their children and letting them control their lives.

I want to call Children Protective agency and have that little baby taken away from her parents. They are all nuts!! Even grandma!

Oh, and the father who brought his family to Queens is clearly gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I find it disturbing as I watched him interact with his family.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

i saw a little bit of this show once. i saw the little pageant toddler and the black girl on her way to the audition for the voice over. it kinda disturbed me when the little black girl was doing the different voices--the whole "this is how i'm going to do it because it's a white character" and "this is how i would do it if it was a black character" rubbed me the wrong way.

i don't know if any of you watch "best week ever" on vh1, but they talked about this show. abaici, they also speculated that father nutter, as they call him, had the whole "gay not gay dad" thing going on. if you haven't seen this show, WATCH IT!!! it is hilarious!!!

I Stay Woke!!
Old 07-01-2004, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MeezDiscreet
i don't know if any of you watch "best week ever" on vh1, but they talked about this show. abaici, they also speculated that father nutter, as they call him, had the whole "gay not gay dad" thing going on. if you haven't seen this show, WATCH IT!!! it is hilarious!!!
I LOVE BEST WEEK EVER!!! It is sooo funny. I'm cracking up now thinking about their J-Lo/Marc Anthony countdown.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I adore this show!!!!! It seems like they've moved it around to some dif time slots though. I agree that the Black family seems the best adjusted. There was one ep where the teen heartthrob wanna be was in the bathroom puking from stress. here's a clue, that's NOT healthy!!!!!!!!!!

The show is a train wreck, and I can't get enough!
Old 07-07-2004, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool I'm watching this WACK show now

I have watched this before...

Lil' Shane's momma need to recognize....her lil boy ain't the 2nd coming of elvis...ok....stick to selling the timeshares

The midwest family....heck before the explained everything I thought that was his momma NOT his wife

The youngun trying to be an actress...JUST SAY NO.....whew

The Mosley-Stephens....well I understand it is a BUSINESS but she oughta get a pt nanny or something she has the girl out late too many times IMHO ever notice its like 11PM before they ever get home

and finally the pageant baby....this ain't nothin compared to the LOONEY TUNES on the HBO special on this subject