GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,747
2 members and 1,745 guests
Cookiez17, zjhnpetrovo7362

Old 02-04-2017, 03:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Oscar nominated films

Has anybody seen any of the films nominated for Oscars?

I've seen "Manchester by the Sea" and loved it. The acting is top notch, as is the screenplay. I also saw "Zootopia" and thought it was absolutely adorable.

Although it only got an Original Song nomination, the James Foley documentary is heartbreaking, yet quite good.

I'm seeing "La La Land" this weekend and "Arrival" next week. I think "Hell or High Water" is on DVD (??).
Old 02-04-2017, 03:56 PM

Saw "Hidden Figures" last night. Outstanding film. Loved "Zootopia" as well. Hope to see "La La Land" on Tuesday, as our local theater chain features $5 Tuesdays.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Also have seen "Hidden Figures"--uplifting, inspiring, amazing in every sense. Also saw "Arrival" and thought it was excellent--made me ponder for many days!
Going with my wife and friends to see "Lion" Monday.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I saw Arrival (overrated), Fences (excellent acting, hated the story), Hidden Figures (liked it), and Moonlight (LOVED IT).
Old 02-08-2017, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Saw "Lion" and here's my thought: GO SEE IT!
It is so many things: adventurous, heart-breaking, uplifting--it runs the gamut of emotions. It is just a gorgeous film. I went with my wife and two family members; near the end we all 4 wiped away a tear or two.
I just bought the paperback entitled "A Long Way Home: A Memoir". I don't know if it will affect everyone this way, but if you've ever loved, lost, and searched to find again--you will get it.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:10 PM

I saw "Arrival". I almost fell asleep. I love Amy Adams, but it was like she had taken a Xanax before each day of filming. (Probably supposed to be character-related, but jeesh it was boring to watch.)

"Hidden Figures" was great. Everyone in the theater applauded at the end. I've asked other people who saw it and they said the same.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 02-08-2017, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
I saw "Arrival". I almost fell asleep. I love Amy Adams, but it was like she had taken a Xanax before each day of filming. (Probably supposed to be character-related, but jeesh it was boring to watch.)

"Hidden Figures" was great. Everyone in the theater applauded at the end. I've asked other people who saw it and they said the same.
I seldom go to a theatre to see a movie, but "Hidden Figures" may be worth my effort. Every time "The Color Purple" is on tv I recall having seen it three times inside theatres and the very moving, emotional expressions coming from an African-American audience during the film when I saw it in on a Chicago movie screen.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Hidden Figures and Older computers...

Hidden figures is great fun if you know about computers in the pre-personal computers days. I noticed a few *tiny* issues in regards to the computers in the film (the flooring in the room was OK, but pretty much any computer room at the time would have had a raised floor so that the connections could be made below it.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Just saw Manchester by the Sea. If a slow, sad movie about personal demons, death, divorce, and dysfunction is what you're in the mood for, I highly recommend it.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I just saw Manchester by the Sea, and honestly, I can't figure out what everyone likes about it.

Ya know how Seinfeld is a show about "nothing", but it's still about something, and each episode has a story? Yea, I feel like Manchester by the Sea is actually about nothing.

The conversations between the actors had no substance to them. I felt like I was watching someone's everyday, mundane life. And the acting... seriously, what am I missing? I didn't think Casey Affleck did anything amazing. He was a monotone voice personified.

And this is up for best picture? I don't get it.

@~/~~~~
Old 02-26-2017, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Just saw Manchester by the Sea. If a slow, sad movie about personal demons, death, divorce, and dysfunction is what you're in the mood for, I highly recommend it.
Well, THAT sounds like a fun time at the movies!! Pass the popcorn!
Old 02-27-2017, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

"Moonlight" was wonderful. An amazing film in every way, and really groundbreaking in terms of content. I loved it and think everyone should watch it.

I also loved La La Land and Arrival. I plan on seeing Lion, Manchester by the Sea, Jackie, and Hidden Figures soon!
Old 02-28-2017, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post

This will place an age on me, but the same event (bolded above) occurred at college when I viewed the film "Breaking Away" in a crowded theatre. I hope it happens again when I go to see "Hidden Figures".
Old 03-07-2017, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I've now seen Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight, and Arrival. My review of Manchester is posted above. And while I thought the other two movies were better, I still thought they were pretty boring.

Arrival was predictable. And at the end of Moonlight, my mom and I both said, "Is that it?" which was the same thing we said at the end of Manchester.

I want to see Hidden Figures and Lion, but I think I'll wait a little while. This year's Oscar winners have left me extremely disappointed.

ETA: I did also see Zootopia a little while back. I liked that movie more than all of the other ones here. It was actually entertaining. However, it's still not my favorite Disney movie by far.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer!

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 03-07-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
I'm hoping to catch Moonlight and Hidden Figures if I can a movie theater that still showing it.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!