GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,410
1 members and 2,409 guests
navane

Old 02-21-2010, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Yea, yea, yea...you know what I mean lol

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-21-2010, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I liked them, but:

1) They were not better than the Tau Chapter AKAs.
2) Their routine was derivative of many other organization's steps.
3) The judges were not Greek.
4) The judges were by and large not experts in stepping, or in some cases, dance.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Krimson and Kream love to the ladies of ZTA for winning the Sprite Step Off; they did indeed wreck shop last night and they deserved to win.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I just watched this performance, and damn.

Flexible, much?

Old 02-21-2010, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 02-21-2010, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I liked them, but:

2) Their routine was derivative of many other organization's steps.
3) The judges were not Greek.
4) The judges were by and large not experts in stepping, or in some cases, dance
Interesting, because for the one that I went to in Chicago, the judges were from D9 organizations. It was my understanding that this was the case for other shows as well. I wonder why the switch-up for the National finals. :neutral:

Last edited by Little32; 02-21-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I can imagine why from a promotional standpoint, but I guess coming from an artistic standpoint (as most Greeks might agree) it was the wrong move. If they were going to use famous people, I'd prefer famous Greeks who have exposure to stepping in some way (Darryl Bell from A Different World, for example). If not Greek themselves, I'd at least like to see someone with a background in dance (Debbie Allen, are you listening?)

But alas, that's not what it turned out to be.

I'm not mad at Zeta Tau Alpha for following the rules. I do question the borrowing of a tradition from one culture in order to promote one's own organization.

How come nobody ever borrows the Filipino stick dance? Or capoeira?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How come nobody ever borrows the Filipino stick dance? Or capoeira?
I've seen some You-Tube videos of a sorority that "borrowed" my sorority's use of machetes (which has a very deep cultural meaning for those of us who are of Mexican descent) and is highly signature. When I saw it, I wondered how that sorority would feel if we used some of their highly recognizable poses or hand gestures.

ETA: And the moves they were doing with the machetes were exact copies of some of the routines that my sisters have up on You Tube...so much so that I knew what those women were going to do next in their routine.

Last edited by LatinaAlumna; 02-21-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Since we're posting about it:

From what I saw, ZTA was just average based on BGLO stepping standards. The steps and overall routine were something a BGLO team would've done in the 1990s (including a Matrix theme).

The crowd was responding to the shock value of white people being able to pull it off since many people have never seen whites step (and relatively well). When I actually dissected the steps, not all of the members were that great. Overall, it was very mechanical and technical with yelling but very little of the heart and soul that would get a crowd to scream for you like that if you're an NPHC team.

Is this what they won for? If so, it is definitely shock value: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=016C4sUj5_8
Agree totally. People seemed sooo shocked that they could even step and when they did the matrix move (which D9 did years ago), the crowd went off. Also, the judges should be greek and I hear that they were celebrities so they have no idea of what to look for in judging. I agree that they did a good job but most steps were borrowed from various D9 orgs and while some will argue that we do eachother's steps "so what's the big deal?", the point is it's all D9 so it's all good and part of D9 stepping culture.

I bet we will think twice now about teaching non-D9 our steps because we think it's cute.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 02-21-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
.... while some will argue that we do eachother's steps "so what's the big deal?", the point is it's all D9 so it's all good and part of D9 stepping culture.
I disagree with that.

We do each other's steps in tribute to one another. And personally, when I'm judging a step show, I will give ZERO points (if possible) for originality if too much of the show relies on tributes, or blatantly takes steps I have seen before.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I disagree with that.

We do each other's steps in tribute to one another. And personally, when I'm judging a step show, I will give ZERO points (if possible) for originality if too much of the show relies on tributes, or blatantly takes steps I have seen before.
I didn't say tribute but that's what I meant and I also don't like to see too much of this or orgs doing another's steps that they don't usually do. So we agree actually.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post

I bet we will think twice now about teaching non-D9 our steps because we think it's cute.
Good thing I never thought it was cute and never did it. The furthest I ever went was teaching a group of high school girls in a mentoring program one step that was specially altered for kids to learn and perform.

Teaching another org (D9 or non-D9) some steps (or how to step) moves from cute and flattering to annoying, copy cat, and "damn, can you create your OWN stuff" reaaaaaaal quick.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Good thing I never thought it was cute and never did it. The furthest I ever went was teaching a group of high school girls in a mentoring program one step that was specially altered for kids to learn and perform.

Teaching another org (D9 or non-D9) some steps (or how to step) moves from cute and flattering to annoying, copy cat, and "damn, can you create your OWN stuff" reaaaaaaal quick.
Exactly. I once had a middle school cheerleading team when I taught school and they wanted to learn how to step so I MADE UP steps for them. I did not teach them SGRho steps. If you are a stepmaster or stepmistress, you should know how to make up steps. You can recycle beats and make up different motions or even use new beats from popular songs. It's not that hard. Many are just lazy!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Slight hi-jack:

I've seen several threads/posts about non-D9 organizations stepping (and how said organizations don't understand the origins of it, etc).

Is the feeling the same when AAs in non-D9 organizations step?

(I don't recall seeing any threads talking about this. If anyone is aware of any, I'll do a more in-depth search).