GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,601
0 members and 2,601 guests
No Members online

Old 02-17-2011, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

What constitutes a good resume?

Hey everyone. I was just wondering what makes up a good resume. I've heard that clubs,sports,volunteering, etc. But I was wondering if yall might know of any other activities that would that would build a better resume. Because, although I am involved in more than one sport, my high school has limited options when it comes to clubs. . .one to be exact.

Also, another question. I have volunteered with various churches, schools, etc. However, I haven't really kept a record of all of that. So would an alumnae who offered to write a rec for me need to call the places where I volunteered to verify that I actually did volunteer there?

Thank You!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-17-2011, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
The rule that I've generally followed for resumes of all sorts is
Keep it recent, keep it relevant.

If you've volunteered one time to scoop poop at the Humane Society, you can keep that out.

If you've volunteered to run church camp every year for the past four years? Definitely in.

Just started Latin Club this year but love it? In.

If it was so long ago or you involvement was so obscure that you don't think you'd be remembered if an alumna DID call to verify while writing your rec...perhaps leave it out.

If you're providing references for alumna to call, make sure you're giving the number of a GOOD reference. It is also a good idea to give the people you've listed as references a phone call to give them a heads up that someone might be calling to ask about you. It's just good protocol and helps them talk positively and thoroughly about you.

The resume is an INTRODUCTION to you, not an autobiography. They want information that they can use. A good resume will stick in the recipient's mind and make them ask, "So, what was it like to drive Meals on Wheels six days a week?" or "I was a Senior Scout leader too!".
Old 02-17-2011, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

an alumna is not going to call your previous employers/church, etc. to verify anything

activities that build a good resume: anything that interests you. Get involved and stay involved for more than one semester. Hold a leadership position in that organization. Enter competitions, etc. It looks a lot more impressive that someone was VP of an organization and participated in competitions all over the state for 4 years, than someone who joined 9 clubs in the spring of your senior year as a Hail Mary.

Seriously, do sports, church youth group, an honor society, volunteer at a nursing home-- whatever your heart desires. Just do something that is fun to you. You can even start a new student organization at your school, but it does sound like you keep busy with church and more than one sport.

Good grades are important, too!
Old 02-20-2011, 04:53 AM
GreekChat Member

beating it to death isn't the goal. You want a resume that describes you as a well-rounded person with both leadership and team-player qualities.

Name, contact information, school details (name, grade, rank if appropriate, etc.) and then what you've been up to during your high school career.

And then as an aside, continue to update, add and delete as your details change. I would say you should have a resume that's ready to be sent out at any moment, whether for sorority recruitment, scholarship, job, whatever. Over time this could become your career resume. Oh, and one more, date your updates and don't overwrite. You'll be glad for old details later. I wish I'd kept contact information for every employer I've ever had even though there's no way they'd ever fit on a resume.