GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,739
0 members and 1,739 guests
No Members online

Old 04-13-2011, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
Beta Kappa Sigma just initiated a woman *I believe* is their first white member at Ramapo College.
It looks like on their website that at least one of their founders was white. http://www.betakappasigma.net/#!about
Old 04-13-2011, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
It looks like on their website that at least one of their founders was white. http://www.betakappasigma.net/#!about
I don't know enough to know for sure, but I am certain that a big deal was made of having a white member on the SP11 line. I've been under the impression that the "Caucasian" listed on the site referred to members with Caucasian ancestry, rather than actual white members. I could certainly be wrong though.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've been under the impression that the "Caucasian" listed on the site referred to members with Caucasian ancestry, rather than actual white members. I could certainly be wrong though.
Makes sense!
Old 04-13-2011, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
And programming wise, how many multicultural organizations focus on majority culture with the same fervor as minority culture?

Are multicultural organizations truly multicultural, or are they "celebration of minority cultures" organizations?

Why do multicultural organizations probate/emerge/step and not have "Presents" or other traditions from majority cultures?

These are just questions.... I'm not sure that multicultural orgs necessarily include white cultures any more than bicultural orgs do.
I was debating whether or not to post as a member of a multicultural sorority, but decided I would. I'm speaking only for Theta Nu Xi.

And programming wise, how many multicultural organizations focus on majority culture with the same fervor as minority culture?

Our programming largely centers around two things. 1) The cultural experience of the members at the local level and 2) Topics of import for the local campus or community. You'll find Theta Nu Xi chapters highlighting issues and topics that are relevant to whites.

Are multicultural organizations truly multicultural, or are they "celebration of minority cultures" organizations?

Theta Nu Xi's membership is predominantly African American followed by Caucasian and Latina. The next largest classification is Multiethnic, which includes women who identify as Biracial. We have a sizeable Asian/South Asian representation as well.

The majority of our membership speaks English only, but we also have a large number of women who speak Spanish (20%) as well. Around 40% of us speak at least one language other than English.

Most of us are heterosexual, but around 10% are Lesbian/Bisexual/Questioning/Other. And, a segment of our membership identifies as Gender Queer or other on the spectrum of gender fluidity.

The vast majority of our membership is registered to vote, while some are not. Of those who are not registered, many cannot register.

To ask if multicultural sororities are truly multicultural is to suggest that there is a definition of "truly multicultural," which (despite the debates) there isn't.

To answer in another way, Theta Nu Xi celebrates the particular identities of our members, whatever that means in context. We are also critically aware of the voices of those who are disadvantaged and it is inherent in our mission to speak out for them. These efforts translate into programs that tackle the criminal justice system, the sex trade, the tribulations faced by undocumented citizens, etc.

Why do multicultural organizations probate/emerge/step and not have "Presents" or other traditions from majority cultures?

Theta Nu Xi has adopted traditions from across the spectrum of Greek Life. We "probate" but with a Theta Nu spin called the "Emergence." Our Emergences tend to reflect the cultures of the line/chapter in some way. Most multicultural sororities include a cultural element to their surfacings/coming out shows.

Theta Nu Xi also has Big and Little sisters in the same way that you would expect to see in an NPC organization. These relationships have a very specific function for us.

Last edited by preciousjeni; 04-13-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
To ask if multicultural sororities are truly multicultural is to suggest that there is a definition of "truly multicultural," which (despite the debates) there isn't.
If this is true, do I have to stop clowning organizations which sound like Shmigma Slambda Bamma for being Mlatinacultural?
Old 04-13-2011, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

*gasp*

Old 04-13-2011, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ You almost said smegma.

/and that is my very 'classy' addition to this thread

ETA: Dammit, KS. Smegmahead.

Last edited by Drolefille; 04-13-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
If this is true, do I have to stop clowning organizations which sound like Shmigma Slambda Bamma for being Mlatinacultural?
LMAAAAAAAAAAAAAO! Hey...I'm just talking about a specific definition of "multicultural." It's easier to tell was ISN'T multicultural than pin down what it means to be multicultural. I can say with some confidence that mlatinacultural sororities are not multicultural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
iGagged

Old 04-13-2011, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post

/and that is my very 'classy' addition to this thread

ETA: Dammit, KS. Smegmahead.
I stopped laughing just long enough to write this...LOL
Old 04-13-2011, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

pj I'm glad for your response.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
pj I'm glad for your response.
Thank you! If it's not clear, I love talking about Theta Nu Xi. lol

Old 04-13-2011, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thank you! If it's not clear, I love talking about Theta Nu Xi. lol
I saw that breakdown on your website. Very interesting stuff

Old 04-13-2011, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I saw that breakdown on your website. Very interesting stuff
You were looking deep then, which you know I appreciate.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was debating whether or not to post as a member of a multicultural sorority, but decided I would. I'm speaking only for Theta Nu Xi.

Our programming largely centers around two things. 1) The cultural experience of the members at the local level and 2) Topics of import for the local campus or community. You'll find Theta Nu Xi chapters highlighting issues and topics that are relevant to whites.

Theta Nu Xi's membership is predominantly African American followed by Caucasian and Latina. The next largest classification is Multiethnic, which includes women who identify as Biracial. We have a sizeable Asian/South Asian representation as well.

The majority of our membership speaks English only, but we also have a large number of women who speak Spanish (20%) as well. Around 40% of us speak at least one language other than English.

Most of us are heterosexual, but around 10% are Lesbian/Bisexual/Questioning/Other. And, a segment of our membership identifies as Gender Queer or other on the spectrum of gender fluidity.

The vast majority of our membership is registered to vote, while some are not. Of those who are not registered, many cannot register.

To answer in another way, Theta Nu Xi celebrates the particular identities of our members, whatever that means in context. We are also critically aware of the voices of those who are disadvantaged and it is inherent in our mission to speak out for them. These efforts translate into programs that tackle the criminal justice system, the sex trade, the tribulations faced by undocumented citizens, etc.

Theta Nu Xi has adopted traditions from across the spectrum of Greek Life. We "probate" but with a Theta Nu spin called the "Emergence." Our Emergences tend to reflect the cultures of the line/chapter in some way. Most multicultural sororities include a cultural element to their surfacings/coming out shows.

Theta Nu Xi also has Big and Little sisters in the same way that you would expect to see in an NPC organization. These relationships have a very specific function for us.

Interesting ...
Old 04-15-2011, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarca7 View Post
Interesting ...
Is there a reason for your passive aggression?