GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,423
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, acheldarko1907
» Online Users: 2,731
0 members and 2,731 guests
No Members online

Old 02-03-2002, 08:45 AM

GLOs that don't let new members wear letters?

Just being nosy here I did a search but didn't find anything relevant, please don't hate me if I missed something

Which GLOs don't allow their new members to wear letters?

AEPhi doesn't allow anybody but initiated sisters to wear letters - the Phi, at least, has to be spelled out, or you can spell out all 3 letters. The reasoning is that only initiated sisters know the meaning of the letters. Which makes it all the more special when you're initiated - I can think of at least a couple of my chapter sisters who brought letters to initiation and put them right on afterwards But it did put the kabosh (sp?) on some cute T-shirt ideas...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-03-2002, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SAEguy
Well my GLO doesnt allow non-initiated members to wear letters except party shirts. They dont want you to go out and get the stuff for your car and other such things until you are truely a part of the GLO.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Tri Sigma's new members (well at least in my chapter) can wear pretty much anything except the stitched block letters. Does anyone know if this is the way it is with all Tri Sigma chapters? It may just be that all GLO's at Longwood don't let their new members wear stitched letters.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm pretty sure Theta and Pi Phi have the same rule. You can have clothes with the nickname, but not the actual Greek letters until after initiation.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:14 PM

I'm going to have to find out about this.

In the past, Delt pledges (OK, whatever you want to call them) could wear letters, but not the Crest because we didn't find out its' meaning(s) until initiated.

I think it's still he same.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Tallahassee, Florida, USA and Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Sisterplum
My local (Iota Beta Chi) doesn't let any non-initiated sisters wear letters. And yes, the reason is because they don't know what the letters stand for. Once they become sisters though, we get their big sisters to lend them their sweaters for a photo shot.
They are allowed to wear shirts with our letters spelled our, or with IBChi on it, just not IBX! All of our girls seem to respect that....and are very happy and honored when they are finally allowed to wear the letters for the first time!
FYI...we also don't let our girls write our letters until they become sisters...for the same reason, they don't know what the letters mean. We also don't allow ANY of our sisters to write the letters of other greek org's for the same reason! We either write their nicknames or write the letters out in full!
Old 02-03-2002, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
DZ's are not allowed to wear or display the crest until they are initiated. However, letters are fine.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe Kappa Sig pledges are allowed to wear letters, but not the crest or the letters AEKDB (our motto).

However, my chapter doesn't allow pledges to even wear letters.

Collin
Old 02-03-2002, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I had a friend in college who was Phi Kappa Psi, and he told me they were not allowed to wear letters until they were initiated. My GLO allows new members to wear letters before they are initiated, though.
Old 02-03-2002, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Pi Phi doesn't permit pledges to wear the Greek letters or crest--only "Pi Beta Phi" written out. When I was a pledge, it seemed that the pledges of every other group except ours could wear letters and were flaunting them in our faces! (They weren't, of course!)
Old 02-03-2002, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that there is some variance among chapters even.

Here at Nebraska, we as pledges were allowed to where letters, with encouragement if it was something that reflected well on the house (philanthropy or the like). But there were certain words that we couldn't say out of respect to the brothers unless they were in a song. And obviously we weren't allowed to use the letter closer.

I know that at Kansas, the Betas there rarely wear letters, even the initiated brothers. They also refer to themselves as Alpha Nu (their chapter name) rather than Beta. Also they don't have letters anywhere on their house so that you know it's a beta house. They have a lot of weird rules, that I don't think I could agree with, and I know that if I had gone to KU I would have joined a different house. I really have no idea about why...
Old 02-03-2002, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that in my fraternity, phi kappa psi, we were not allowed to wear letters until we were initiated. I also know that some of the other fraternities at my school whose letters are part of the regular alphabet (Alpha, Kappa, Tau, Beta, Epsilon, etc.) can wear them, but they can not be embroidered, or large on the chest. I know that KA is one of them.
Old 02-03-2002, 03:12 PM

We phikaps have the same rule. You can wear the words spelled out but not the greek symbols. It's pretty much a traditional thing, but, a lot of the time, with the actual greek symbols, they mean something very specific to the individual GLO. Why would you have a pledge (come on, don't go all PC on me now) wear letters when he/she doesn't know the meaning behind them? Why would they wear them when they haven't earned the right to be called brother/sister, there are SOME perks that go with full membership, full usage of the name being one of em.
Old 02-03-2002, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

We have pledge jeresey that have letters on them. They only have one layer-no background color, which is the big thing on my campous. Most Fraternties here have letters over the heart that are smaller. They are either with background or without, depending.
Old 02-03-2002, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Arrow

We don't have a national policy either way.

My chapter actually had "pledge shirts" made, which were (are) T-Shirts with the chapter's design on it... the design incorporates the greek letters with a lot of the arts we include (an artist's palate, ballet slippers, music notes, etc.) as well as our open motto. (The design was done by one of our members, and something the chapter has used unofficially since). There was always one day every week when the new members were supposed to wear their shirts, and the actives wore whatever letters they wanted to that day.

I don't know if it was in our bylaws, but new members never wore anything or displayed anything with the crest until after initiation. Although, even after, it wasn't too common, mostly everyone wore the letter.

To Be Rather Than To Seem To Be