GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,033
2 members and 1,031 guests
No Members online

Old 08-17-2005, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Good phone person, Bad Phone Person

I was talking to some guy friends about whether it was easier to date girls that were good phone talkers or not so good ones . . .

What I mean is girls that are comfy on the phone and like to talk on it.

We agreed that its easier to date girls that are good on the phone and that it was especially important in the beginning.

In fact we could cite examples where we didn't pursue girls that were bad phone talkers because we didn't think they were that interested in us . . . only to discover later they were very interested.

Conversely we have pursued girls that were good phone people because we overestimated their interest.

Are you a good phone person or bad phone person? And do you have any experience with this in either direction?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a bad phone person. I want to say what I need to and then get off the phone as quickly as possible.

I have never been a big talker using the phone. My husband said it was like pulling teeth to get me to open up on the phone. He's a big phone person.

I just have too many other things to do than talk on the phone all day.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
I'm so-so when it comes to the phone. I have low tolerance for pauses & whatnot on the phone, no matter who is on the other end. Once I sense the conversation is at a low point I want to hang up ASAP. I like it when a boy calls to check in but would rather have the longer conversations in person.

I have found (in my own unscientific study...) that good phone boys are not the best in person at conversation. My current BF, who is not a phone person, is much better at in person conversations. He HATES the phone, but was smart enough to tell me this so I didn't wonder why he hardly called at the beginning of the relationship.

Maybe it's a city thing but seems that people here either email/text msg or meet in person. I don't know too many girls who talk about the phone conversations they have with a guy. It's usually we met & x-changed info, we planned a date via said info and thats that.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

If you like someone, you'll talk on the phone. Seriously, if I really dig a guy, I'll talk on the phone for hours. I don't think it's a phone thing so much as it is a person thing.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
I'm comfortable on the phone! I agree with the above posters that if I'm into the person, it's much better. But, I don't mind pauses...if you need time to think it's all good.

Now, if you WANT to fill those pauses, I can talk, chile!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAMich
I'm so-so when it comes to the phone. I have low tolerance for pauses & whatnot on the phone, no matter who is on the other end. Once I sense the conversation is at a low point I want to hang up ASAP. I like it when a boy calls to check in but would rather have the longer conversations in person.

Maybe it's a city thing but seems that people here either email/text msg or meet in person. I don't know too many girls who talk about the phone conversations they have with a guy. It's usually we met & x-changed info, we planned a date via said info and thats that.
I feel the same way about pauses on the phone. Even when I'm on with someone like my mom or my best friend, whenever there is a long pause it is time to get off the phone.

Now I feel slightly better about the boy always texting me to meet up instead of calling. I made the leap and called him earlier in the week (left a voicemail) and haven't heard from him since. Maybe I am a "bad phone person" whatever that means. But I do know from now on, I will not give into peer preasure and call boys when text messages will suffice.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
If you like someone, you'll talk on the phone. Seriously, if I really dig a guy, I'll talk on the phone for hours. I don't think it's a phone thing so much as it is a person thing.
I agree. I usually hate talking on the phone, but if it's some one I like and want to talk to, then I can and will talk on the phone, and I can talk for hours.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to _Opi_
I'm generally not a phone person, but with me, its more of calling people rather than staying on the phone.

But I think I'm so-so on the phone..and If it's someone interesting or that I like, I can stay on as long as I need to. Pauses signal the end of that conversation for me.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I can only handle being on the phone for so long - then I get bored. As someone else mentioned - I HATE PAUSES. What sucks is I'm in a long distance relationship, so the phone is really important, but if we stop talking and it ends up where we're just listening to each other breathe, I get bored with it. Because of this, my boyfrend and I usually talk several times a day, for short conversations each time.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I don't think we meant people that can stay on the phone for long periods of time per se . . . more like people that can project their fun flirty personality over the phone. Are they engaging and interesting?

Some people have trouble being like that on the phone, assuming they are that way in person.

Even if they don't like to talk at length on the phone, if they are very engaging its a major positive.

I have spent a hours on the phone with people . . . a lot of them are kind of boring though. Like listening to a technical subject that is interesting to you but told to you in a monotone.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a good phone talker if you are. If your conversational feet are dragging, then I'll spit out whatever I want to say, then I'm hanging up. I'm not staying on if it sounds like you don't have anything to say/don't want to say anything. But if you're spirited about it, then I can talk for hours about anything.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 09-13-2005, 03:58 PM

I'm a bad phone person. I can't stand being on the phone with anyone who has nothing to say. I'd much rather see the guy I'm dating than talk to him on the phone.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

If it's somebody I know locally, then I keep it short and to the point.

If it's someone I know who lives far away, then I'll usually talk for quite a bit longer.

As to the quality of my conversations, it all depends on my mood.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm good at projecting my personality over the phone, but I HATE talking on the phone. Especially if it's a guy I like, I'd much rather be talking to him in person (or not talking).
Old 09-14-2005, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie

I definitely agree with this. I don't particularly like talking on the phone, but when I met my husband we talked for hours almost every night.

I like AIM, though. If it had existed when I was in high school I would have been on it all the time.