GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Sigma Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,430
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, samanthaooglet8
» Online Users: 2,442
1 members and 2,441 guests
No Members online

Old 05-29-2003, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Academic year VS calendar year

Hey,

I've been thinking bout this, especially since the "new archon" thread was bumped up...

What system do you work on? calendar or academic year?
When I was newly initiated into Phi sig we were in the process of switching from calendar year to academic year.

I like the academic year...it just makes sense to hold your positions for a single academic year, rather than two semesters separated by the summer.

I like it too since officer transition is at the end of the semester or during the summer which gives more time although on occasion it's difficult for sisters to meet up...

I have other thought son this, but lemme hear some of yours

LITP
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-30-2003, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisigduchesscv
Academic Year

HI There,

Iota Gamma operates on the Academic Year. I would have to say when I've read about other chapters on the calendar year it just seems odd to me. Of course I work at the university to so everything to me seems based on the Academic year.

It is nice because we can do officer transition at the end of the semester and if we we can do it on a short weekend trip. and then start planning the calendar for the upcoming year during the summer.

Carolyn

IG - CKA
Vice Archon - So. LA County Alumnae Chapter
Old 05-30-2003, 08:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Zeta Chi and Gamma Pi (my chapter and the chapter I advise) both work on academic years. I think it is very weird to switch positions in the middle of the school year. But then again, my college is very small, and the college I advise for has a small Greek community. I guess things are different in various areas, and you can't hate what you have never tried!

Jadey
Old 06-01-2003, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrincessHeather
Academic year here!~Theta Mu

I like this way so much better. We switch over after shadowing; which ends in May. Then we have Eboard, Ecouncil, and Chapter Retreat during the summer to plan for the upcoming year. I think it works very nice and makes a lot of sense.

Our greek system is half and half on which orgs. does what system which is weird. For example us and Theta Chi are Academic while Alpha Xi Delta and Phi Delta Theta are Calendar. Their year just seems so strange to me. (AxiD and Phi Delts) but I guess they like it, if they are using it. so rock on to them.

Currently Our Panhellenic is also on Academic year system. (mainly because Phi Sig was the first National on campus and they adopted our way of life. hee hee) But both Alpha Xi and Phi Sig are currently deciding if we should switch it to Calendar. I think it will pass. And only because if new Pan Council starts in Jan. they will more ready and prepared to plan Formal Recruitment in the Fall. From the past, we have experienced problems on Academic (with pan.) because during the switch the new council doesn't get into the swing of things until October (i.e. after recruitment). And it would work better if the same girls do all the bookings, mailing, pr, etc. then having someone step in and finish a half done job. (which is what we do now) Also it has been hard for Alpha Xi to get used to the Academic year. They have to hold special elections just for panhellenic, and they have been struggling with filling positions so we want to help them out. (and it will be easier to just have Phi Sig switch We are pretty flexible)

Anyone else have one way for Phi Sig and another for Panhellenic?
Old 06-01-2003, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

We're academic... the other two nationals on campus are a while year an dswitch after fall semester I believe which I think is rather odd... I guess there are advantages to both.. but I think I like academic year better.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:58 AM
GreekChat Member

We work on calendar year. It's not that bad it get a break in between my position so when I get back in the fall I'm refreshed. I like the calendar year better than I would the academic yr.

annice
Old 06-05-2003, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Terri
We work on a calender year which makes officer tranistion difficult. With school and work responsibilites, its hard to make time for all the meetings-- more so when you have to transition someone and are being transitioned yourself. I wish we were on an academic year.

Terri
Archon
Zeta Omega Chapter
U of M Dearborn
Old 04-22-2010, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

There hasn't been a post here in years. Is academic year still preferred?

Most groups at my school are on calendar year. We're on academic year, but I think calendar year makes more sense since you can use the lighter spring semester as training for fall when there is always that massive influx of freshman.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Gamma is run on Calendar year. We find it easier that way because there is a shorter break between December and Januar then there is between May and August. Its easier for our girls to communicate and get things ready for the Spring semester.