GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,499
1 members and 2,498 guests
navane

Old 03-07-2010, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFsigmakappa View Post

I spentmy entire Thanksgiving on my big's paddle - she screamed when she unwrapped it!!
Oh lordy, I'm in the martini family and this would be PERFECT. If only I knew how to make that little martini thing on the top... I'm awful with all crafts.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-07-2010, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooh La La View Post
Oh lordy, I'm in the martini family and this would be PERFECT. If only I knew how to make that little martini thing on the top... I'm awful with all crafts.
I would say draw it out and have a fraternity man cut it for you.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's a Margarita, martinis look like this:

Margaritas will almost always have something on the rim (most often salt and a lemon or lime), REAL martinis will have a lemon twist, coctail onion or olive actually IN the drink.

For what it's worth, a martini glass should be easier to cut out than a marg glass.

Last edited by agzg; 03-07-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

My roommate just finished his paddle. It's pretty epic. I'll have to post it soon!
Old 03-07-2010, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
That's a Margarita, martinis look like this:

Margaritas will almost always have something on the rim (most often salt and a lemon or lime), REAL martinis will have a lemon twist, coctail onion or olive actually IN the drink.

For what it's worth, a martini glass should be easier to cut out than a marg glass.
Thanks, that does look quite a bit easier to cut!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks, that does look quite a bit easier to cut!
Happy to help. You won't have to cut out the little lime, either - but maybe paint an olive, twist, or onion in the glass, if that's something you want to do. I suppose it depends on whether or not your family actually drinks martinis, and whether they like vodka or gin.

I'm pretty sure I'm over-thinking this - and I prefer a margarita to a martini any day.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not quite sure how my family got its name, as they've been around since before I was born. The idea of an onion in a drink also kinda skeeves me out.

I also prefer margaritas. :P
Old 03-08-2010, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm not quite sure how my family got its name, as they've been around since before I was born. The idea of an onion in a drink also kinda skeeves me out.

I also prefer margaritas. :P

I prefer margaritas as well, but the best part about a martini is the olives.

I'm thinking about making a paddle for my little. This thread has some amazing ideas. Just about everyone who makes a paddle in my chapter does it the same way - no colors, same info, same layout. I want my little's paddle to really stand out.

I'm looking forward to seeing more paddles & non padddles.

"Life is service. The one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow human beings a little more, a little better service." - E. M. Statler 1863 - 1928
Old 03-15-2010, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenoodle View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing more paddles & non padddles.
So.. I'm going to bump this thread. Hopefully someone has some cute picture frames or other non-paddles they'd like to share?

I did a price check on making a nice paddle and it's pretty expensive. I'm looking for other cost effective options.

"Life is service. The one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow human beings a little more, a little better service." - E. M. Statler 1863 - 1928
Old 04-22-2010, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

^^ Those are super cool!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-23-2010, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I was wondering where everyone bought their paddles. The store near my chapter is no longer selling paddles and the little research I've done has come up with paddles that are made of really nice wood. My chapter usually decorates the paddles like the way AlwaysInLFS posted. Any suggestions for palces to look?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 04-23-2010, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
I was wondering where everyone bought their paddles. The store near my chapter is no longer selling paddles and the little research I've done has come up with paddles that are made of really nice wood. My chapter usually decorates the paddles like the way AlwaysInLFS posted. Any suggestions for palces to look?
If you can't find something, let me know and I can bring stuff from the stores here next time I come to Oregon, and we can have lunch at Ikea or something.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
If you can't find something, let me know and I can bring stuff from the stores here next time I come to Oregon, and we can have lunch at Ikea or something.
Have I told you recently that I love you?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 04-24-2010, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Have I told you recently that I love you?
It is freeway close for me, and light rail adjacent for you! As long as you don't drive there and pass me on the right, the love remains. One of my classmates has to have surgery in Portland this summer, so I know I am making at least one trip at some point to drive them back.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:21 AM

My chapter decorates boats (wooden board in shape of sailboat).

Let me see if I can get a decent pic of mine (I have one from my Little and of course the one my Big made for me when I was a NM).

I don't know if I can find a pic of it, but the one I made for my Little Sis was decorated as the "Burn Book" from Mean Girls. It was pretty much the highlight of my sorority crafting career.

Lakers Nation.