GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,192
2 members and 1,190 guests
navane, speedsters

Old 07-12-2000, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Chapter Suspensions

Hey everyone!

I've been reading a lot on this board about chapters being suspended for semesters or years at a time. People are continually asking about whether or not a chapter is active at a certain school. Although I know that suspensions happen to both GLO and BGLO organizations, I was wondering what type of behavior causes a suspension and if/why it is kept "secret" from the campus. I don't mean secret as in nobody is allowed to know, just that it seems like there are a lot of questions that come onto all of the different boards on this site from people who don't know either way.

At my school, we had one GLO sorority give up their charter because they didn't have enough membership to continue, and 2 fraternities lose their charter due to hazing. One fraternity, which was actually founded at my university, was on suspension for 3 years and is finally allowed back on campus this coming year.

So my question is basically aimed at BGLO's since I'm trying to learn a lot about them. When a sorority or fraternity is suspended, is it mainly for "hazing" (in WHATEVER sense), or numbers, or financial, etc? Does the school or chapter announce it? (They did at my school, it made front page news in the school newspaper) I know our systems are different, that is why I'm curious about it.

Thanks y'all for your info! If you'd rather email me, that's fine. I've learned a lot from the board and this is a question I've been meaning to ask for a long time. (And just to reiterate, I know that it happens for both systems, I'm not saying it doesn't.) If any GLO members want to add something, I'd love to hear that too.
Old 07-13-2000, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been watching this and since no one else is replying....

In our organization, the only chapters that have ever had charters suspended are those that declined in membership to the point they didn't continue. (Fortunately, we have two of those back as very active groups today! ) We have other reasons for removing charters listed in our bylaws but I'm glad to say those have not been necessary.

In reading Fraternal Law and through talking with other PFA members, here are some reasons I've heard of various other GLOs losing charters or being suspended.

Hazing
Alcohol-related accidents (including deaths )
Lawsuits (cost so much that the chapter couldn't financially recover)
Failure to uphold the national organizations requirements

It seems that whether or not these are publicized depends upon the national organization's policy as well as the news value of whatever happened (with tragedies, the closing of a chapter is likely to make news).

[This message has been edited by BFulton (edited July 13, 2000).]
Old 07-15-2000, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Boy, this will not be popular....

My chapter closed it's doors for a few years mostly due to numbers. By the time it was all said and done, there were only 9 active numbers. From my understanding, with is a very common solution.

Hazing is also a semi-common reason for an organization to be suspended. If it does not make the newspapers, usually not many people will know the true reason due it the idea of not wanting to "air dirty laundry." If other people do not need to know why, they won't.

Only if someone in a GLO, and I assume a BGLO, does something extremely horrible will a National go in and close a house. There is only one example that I know of in which this happened. After a party, a guy and his girlfriend went up to his room at the chapter house to go to sleep. While he was passed out, another "brother" entered this room and raped the girlfriend. Sad but true. That house no longer exists on that campus.

Now, for smaller infractions, the National will come in and "clear house." I've seen this happen three different times. The national will go through the members of said house including with an interview and if they see something they don't like they are gone. I don't know if they are given alumni status then told not to come around or what. One house the reason why it happened was due to drugs. We think that the only reason why the house was not closed was because it was one of the first chapters for this fraternity. When the national was finished, only abour a quarter of the brotherhood was still around...

I hope this will answer our question a little bit.

------------------
Scott A. Marley
Kappa Delta Rho Fraternity
Beta Beta Chapter