GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,418
3 members and 1,415 guests
aangelasuasd942, naraht

Old 02-25-2003, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to oceanphi01
Expansion

I'm really curious as to how the whole thing works. See, the new local sorority that formed on our campus, Delta Psi Sigma, really wants to go National. I've heard stuff like NPC needs our recruitment results for the past 5 years and we have to be at total for 2 years, but I'm not sure what's real and what's not. Currently, there is not enough interest in Greek life AT ALL for another National organization to come on to this campus. We've had a really anti-Greek president in the past and I think that that sentiment is still lingering. Our formal recruitment this past fall was horrible and all of us are afraid that if another organization tries to come on to this campus, another one will fold. I was mainly curious to see if anyone else has had/is having issues like this. Thanks!

Lyndsay

Green, green the ivy twines...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-26-2003, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe (and correct me if I am wrong) that Panhellenic would first need to approve adding another NPC group. I don't know that being at total is a must unless that is a condition that Panhellenic wants to meet. As long as all the groups are fairly equal and competitive I don't think it would matter that they didn't meet total.

My chapter started as a local for a year or two and wanted to affiliate with a national - when they did I believe one of the NPC groups already on campus only had 4 members. That's what alumnae have told me anyway. So obviously not all groups were at total but Panhellenic recognized the need for a new group. It was also the first new sorority in over 50 years, so that may have been a factor as well.

If the local is already established enough to draw membership from NPC groups anyway, I don't think it would hurt the existing groups by making it national. They will still be there regardless, they would just be denied the opportunity to affiliate with a national. It may even end up helping by drawing more interest in the greek system if a new GLO comes to campus.

I think it all comes down to how the current groups compare - if one is struggling more than the others then a new group may have an impact. But if all the current organizations are fairly equal in membership then I don't think it will hurt them. It would reduce quota but everyone would still be equal when it came to membership.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard that only 10 women participated in formal rush there this last Fall? And quota was 3? With 1 of the 2 NPC groups at ceiling I don't think your campus is ready for a new NPC group yet and the 2 NPC groups have to vote for expansion. I think expansion is good on a campus, for instance, UF where 1200ish show up for formal rush and quota is 60 and 13 out of 15 NPCs are at campus ceiling. At UF over 500 women scheduled interviews with DZ for 150 spots.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

If you have an NPC Chapter at your school you get to decide if they can affiliate with an NPC org. It is all in the manual and pretty clear. It doesn't say that you need to be at total or ceiling. Talk to your national orgs. but if the local is already stable and drawing your numbers, whynot let them go NPC so they have the same rules to play by that you do?
Old 02-26-2003, 06:46 PM

In order for expansion to take place (either via a local sorority or a from-the-ground-up expansion), the local Panhel must approve it (if there is one).

Not all groups necessarily have to be at total, but it's a bad idea to bring on a new sorority when one or more groups is so far below total that they become at risk of closing due to low numbers.

What is total, and what have your recruitment numbers been like?
Old 02-26-2003, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, last year formal recruitment was horrible. We had 30 girls sign up and only 10 showed up the first night. Yes, quota was 3, but we've done really well at COB rush. It makes me feel better that the Panhellenic here has a say in what happens. THank you everyone for answering me back!

Old 02-27-2003, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Have your Chapter Advisor contact your CMC or Linda Schnetzer or Megan Bouche at the EO.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

oceanphi01,
Why don't you suggest to the local group to look at affiliating with a non-NPC sorority?

If they do not have a particular sorority in mind, going with a non-NPC sorority would still enable them to go national and have the support and sisterhood that they want. For example, Kappa Beta Gamma or a multi-cultural sorority like Theta Nu Xi may be very happy to accept them. Also, since you are at a largely technical school, Phi Sigma Rho Sorority, which is mainly engineering, may be another a possible solution.
Luis
Old 03-02-2003, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Luis. That's a really good idea that I hadn't even thought about.

Old 03-04-2003, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Do they already have numbers and have been around for a while? We just got a new local who want to affiliate with Kappa Alpha Theta, they already have numbers so our chapter is looking at it like that it may mean more chapters who have to abide by the NPC rules. (now 1NPC and 2 locals) We are hoping that having them on the same playing field will, if they are gonna be around, keep them clean and have oversight from a national. I hope they eventually request Presentations but they are set on Theta so they are supposed to hear by the end of this year. I hope they get it, but it looks unlikely that they would take a risk on a campus like ours.

Good Luck though! Doesn't NPC have support near your for these kinds of reasons? We've never seen NPC support but then again, we are the only NPC...
Old 03-04-2003, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Little E, can't you as the one and only NPC org on your campus vote to open for expansion? Then the groups that were interested would come and do presentations. Perhaps Gamma Phi is interested in coming back?

I'm at Lawrence, and I'm excited that more small schools in Wisconsin are looking to expand Greek life. Keep me posted!
Old 03-04-2003, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Nopers, we honestly have no say. Because we don't have a collegiate NPC Chapter it is delegated to the admin according to the Green Book. We have IFPC, the Inter-Fraternal Panhellenic Council and the new group Kappa Gamma Lambda has been recognized by them. The IFPC Pres, has encouraged them to do Presentations but they have said they don't want to. same when we tried. I am worried that Theta will say no to them and they'll remain local, but I suppose maybe next year they'll understand that they should just do Presentations. Apparently all the Theta alumnae are convincing them that the'll get a recolonization. I dunno though, that a ton to invest in a dying Greek system...we'll see. But we have no say, only to start the NPC Chapter process and give Theta our numbers. If we are wrong, please somebody tell me! but that is what we got from the Greek Book.

ps- Gamma Phi? I don't think they've ever been on campus. We've had DG, KD, Tri-Delta, Pi Phi and now AST. We had a few locals and what not too
Old 03-05-2003, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Whoops, that's my bad. Got you mixed up with another campus.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to White_Chocolate
i would try phi sigma sigma. . .hee-hee

no seriously. . .only because they are all throughout Florida and the national office for them is located in boca. . .

but i am partial. . .and plus, our sorority loves starting chapters with a base already. . .

yeah, but you'd have to contact panhell and then, probably our national
Old 03-12-2003, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Ummm, from what it sounds like, expansion onto Florida Tech would be suicide for the new sorority and potentially disastrous for the ones already there.

Having seen firsthand a failed expansion, it isn't pretty. Its demoralizing to the Greek system and heartbreaking for the closing chapter. That's why it is SO important to make sure that everyone in Panhellenic is at total before you expand! Tossing another chapter into the mix when Panhellenic is already struggling is a recipe for failure.

Just my 19.04.