GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,250
3 members and 1,247 guests
JayhawkAOII, lauralaylin, PGD-GRAD
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Mizzou Recruitment

Hello all,
I am new here. My daughter is getting ready to go through recruitment at Mizzou next month. I have enjoyed and appreciated reading through old posts here as recruitment at Mizzou seems very different than when I went through rush back in the late 80's. Would live to hear from any other Tigers out there
Old 07-19-2015, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoftiger View Post
Hello all,
I am new here. My daughter is getting ready to go through recruitment at Mizzou next month. I have enjoyed and appreciated reading through old posts here as recruitment at Mizzou seems very different than when I went through rush back in the late 80's. Would live to hear from any other Tigers out there
Hi Mom of Tiger!
I am a Mizzou alum (and a sorority alum) and now have a daughter who is a happy member of Greek Life. This will be her first year going through recruitment as a sorority active, and she is looking forward to it. I went through rush in the mid 80s myself. Wow has it changed! Some things are just as you'll remember them. On the other hand, it seems much more intense to me now. For one thing, numbers are bigger. Pledge classes in our day were in the mid 50s. Last year they were over 90. I posted my daughter's recruitment story last year and there are tons of great recruitment threads on this site. I will look forward to hearing about your daughter's experience. Last year I felt a lot of support from other Moms, alums and Panhel/chapter advisors and I'm sure you'll find the same.

One theme you'll read over and over again--please emphasize to your daughter to keep an open mind, even as a legacy! Mizzou has an incredibly strong Greek system and every chapter has something to offer. A legacy isn't a guarantee (although of course it may certainly help at her legacy chapter). I know a lot of girls who have gone through recruitment at Mizzou and even the strong candidates experience a lot of cuts. If she can prepare herself for this before she goes, she'll take it in stride and be able to enjoy the process more. My daughter ended up at her legacy house (my old house), which has been wonderful for both of us. I also know girls who were cut from their legacy houses. You'll get plenty of support here, but feel free to PM me if you have any Mizzou specific questions as she goes forward.

Good luck to your daughter--and to you too! I remember how intense rush was for me, as a Mom (much harder than going through myself, to be honest).
Old 07-19-2015, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is also an active at Mizzou (WalkintheWoods helped keep me sane last year!). She is living in the house, so will be very active with recruitment from the other side - which I think she is looking forward to, though knows will be a lot of work!

I was also in a sorority long ago and far away - in a totally different part of the country - and our "rush" was nothing like the recriutment at Mizzou. My sorority doesn't have a chapter at Mizzou - so she wasn't able to benefit from any legacy.

It's a fabulous greek system. She has friends in a variety of different sororities, which is nice.

As WalkintheWoods said - tell her to keep an open mind. It is very competitive, and I think we were unprepared for just how competitive it was - thinking the more southern SEC schools would be FAR worse.

Happy to offer words of advice/support! Hope she has a fabulous recruitment!
Old 07-19-2015, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for your responses! I, too, went to college on the other side of the country & my sorority is also not at Mizzou. She is definitely going in with an open mind as she know no one at Mizzou & we have no affiliation with any houses there. We have gathered recs for all of the houses but two. She has at least one rec, if not two, for all of the others. I think move in day is 4 weeks from today!
Old 07-19-2015, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

It is an exciting time. I think my daughter grew from the process. Tell her to make sure to get rest, wear comfortable cute shoes, and stay hydrated. I remember that week was very hot, as late August often is in Missouri.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

It is exciting to see other moms! Good luck to you all! Are yall as never as I am?
Old 07-19-2015, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

ImJustAMom, where is your daughter going through recruitment?
Old 07-19-2015, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I can tell you that I was not that nervous, at first. Probably not realizing just how competitive it was. But after the first round, I rapidly went into panic mode. I believe I may have drank a bit more wine than usual and drove just about everyone around me nuts. But that's just because my daughter was very far away and I had no ability to really do anything for her....other than lend an ear and a supportive word. But I suppose, as a young college woman that was best. Girls do have to learn to negotiate recruitment largely on their own, as each girls experience is different.

But as a Mom who has been there and done that at Mizzou, I am happy to lend my support to you as you go through the journey this year with your girls. Let me know if I can help in any way!
Old 07-19-2015, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

In the midwest! It isn't supposed to be very competitive, but I am nervous just the same! I'll post where after it is over.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm the mom of a Mizzou sophomore as well. One piece of advice that made a big difference for my daughter was to get rec letters. With so many girls going through recruitment getting your daughter on the radar of as many houses as possible is really helpful.

Best wishes to you and your daughter. I think it is as anxious a time for moms as it is for the daughters. Mizzou has a huge number of girls going through recruitment, but with the RFM system that in place now if a girl keeps an open mind and keeps going back to every house that invites her back she has a very good chance of finding a match.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Momoftiger, did you get my pm?
Old 07-20-2015, 07:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Bluedoor. I have seen "RFM" in a few posts. Can you or anyone else explain that to me please? I am unfamiliar with that term. . Thanks

Also, I was reading through older posts about recs.....we are short one house and I cannot find ANYONE! They recommended contacting a local PHA chapter. I am I going to try that today. I am so thankful to have read that. I didn't even know there were PHA alum groups!
Old 07-20-2015, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoftiger View Post
Thanks Bluedoor. I have seen "RFM" in a few posts. Can you or anyone else explain that to me please? I am unfamiliar with that term. . Thanks

Also, I was reading through older posts about recs.....we are short one house and I cannot find ANYONE! They recommended contacting a local PHA chapter. I am I going to try that today. I am so thankful to have read that. I didn't even know there were PHA alum groups!
Hi Momoftiger. Re: RFM, I can tell you what it is; please anyone else chime in to make corrections here or add more info. I'm not directly involved in implementing RFM so others may have more insider info.

RFM is Return Figure Methodology. It is the process most campuses now use to determine how many PNMs each house gets to invite for return rounds of recruitment. It is based on a chapter's historical return rates, that is, what percentage of PNMs have requested to return to the house in the past. The purposes of RFM are 1) to increase the odds that each PNM will make return visits to houses where she has a realistic chance of receiving a bid; and 2) to increase the overall strength of each campus' Greek system overall, by giving PNMs multiple exposures to up and coming houses. Since RFM began being implemented, more PNMs end up joining houses. Because of RFM, houses that have historically been more popular (often but not always older, more established chapters) generally need to make steeper cuts in the early rounds. The great thing about this for PNMs is that, if they don't have a decent chance of getting a bid at a house, they should be released sooner rather than later, giving them an opportunity to take a closer look at other houses. Also, newer chapters gain members and have an easier time reaching quota and total. Overall I think it's been a very good thing for PNMs and for the chapters. I am almost certain that Mizzou uses RFM but if any Panel officers or chapter advisors can confirm?
Old 07-20-2015, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I wish the Mizzou PHA page would be more specific about recs. It states:

"Letters of recommendation are letters written by a sorority alumna recommending you to her sorority. While recommendations are definitely appreciated by chapters, you are not responsible for securing them. It is actually a chapter’s responsibility to obtain one if they need more information. If you know an alumna, it is not uncommon to ask her if she would be willing to write a letter of recommendation to her sorority. Each chapter’s national organization has their own protocol for recommendation letters, so if you have any questions, encourage her to contact them for more information."

To me that makes it seem really kind of optional. I am not sure how iron clad necessary they are as opposed to Ole Miss or Alabama, even having had my daughter go through.

I know her pref options included one that she had a letter for and one she did not. She was immediately cut from several she did have letters to, but I believe some of that was grade related. She was a transfer sophomore, and although her college GPA was in the green range, her HS GPA was in the yellow range.
Closed Thread