GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,929
0 members and 1,929 guests
No Members online

Old 07-18-2007, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Letters of Ref,help needed

I have exhausted all of my personal resources in finding ladies who could provide me with letters of reference that would be personal. Also,I have contacted local alumna associations and have not heard back. I would like to find help in obtaining "info only" letters or ref. I believe having those would be better than having none. The school I am attending is a competitive SEC school so this is of importance. I have already had two GC members assist me with obtaining "info only" refs. If you or someone you know could help me in any way please pm me. Listed below are the sororities for which I need letters of ref for. Thank you for your help and time.

alpha chi omega
chi omega
delta delta delta
delta zeta
gamma phi beta
kappa delta

Thank you!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck with your recs and with recruitment!

Old 07-18-2007, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Isn't this the third thread you've started on this subject?
Old 07-18-2007, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGamUGAAlum View Post
Good luck with your recs and with recruitment!

And don't forget to post and let us know how it goes... especially if it is UGA (but even if it isn't)!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
Isn't this the third thread you've started on this subject?
I had to delete the other because it was not written well. Im sorry if I have bothered you with my thread(s). However, I am trying to be proactive and start Rush Week as well as possible.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

What school are you rushing at?
Old 07-19-2007, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank y'all for the wishes of good luck!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:53 AM
Unregistered-

First, let me start off by saying that this is in no way directed to you, katestar. This is something I've noticed over a period of time.

I have to throw out a word of caution to PNMs who come onto GC asking for rec help, especially PNMs who cop a snarky attitude with "seasoned" GCers or those who leave questionable posts.

You're basically giving up your anonymity when you give your information out to someone you don't know on GC. You might think "Awesome! I secured an info-only rec!" But how do you know for sure that the woman didn't really write you a "NO REC" and check off the "I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS WOMAN FOR MEMBERSHIP" box?

A lot has changed ever since adpiucf started her Recommendations thread. GC's evolved into something like no other -- and some GCers will stop at nothing to make sure you don't stand a chance at their house if they didn't like something you said on GC.

My advice? If you want a successful rush...lurk for a while and try to remain as anonymous as possible until after rush. Try to get a feel of GC so you know who the "nice people" are. People love rush threads, but you don't have to post just to feed them.

For every "nice" person on GC there are two more snarky ones. JMHO.

This post isn't meant to scare PNMs. I'm just throwing reality out there.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow.Alright, I might just not try to find those last letters from here.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
First, let me start off by saying that this is in no way directed to you, katestar. This is something I've noticed over a period of time.

I have to throw out a word of caution to PNMs who come onto GC asking for rec help, especially PNMs who cop a snarky attitude with "seasoned" GCers or those who leave questionable posts.

You're basically giving up your anonymity when you give your information out to someone you don't know on GC. You might think "Awesome! I secured an info-only rec!" But how do you know for sure that the woman didn't really write you a "NO REC" and check off the "I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS WOMAN FOR MEMBERSHIP" box?

A lot has changed ever since adpiucf started her Recommendations thread. GC's evolved into something like no other -- and some GCers will stop at nothing to make sure you don't stand a chance at their house if they didn't like something you said on GC.

My advice? If you want a successful rush...lurk for a while and try to remain as anonymous as possible until after rush. Try to get a feel of GC so you know who the "nice people" are. People love rush threads, but you don't have to post just to feed them.

For every "nice" person on GC there are two more snarky ones. JMHO.

This post isn't meant to scare PNMs. I'm just throwing reality out there.

Not to mention the great amount of sorority members who think trying to get recs off the internet is a HUGE no-no
Old 07-19-2007, 07:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I had to delete the other because it was not written well. Im sorry if I have bothered you with my thread(s). However, I am trying to be proactive and start Rush Week as well as possible.
This one's not much better.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I wish you the best of luck. The other posters are correct. Some of us consider writing recs for girls we don't know a HUGE no-no.

I'm not picking on you, I'm sure you are a very nice girl. But I'm writing a letter to recommend you to my sisterhood, and I have no idea if your a stalker, or are psycho. (I'm sure you AREN'T. Just proving a point.) I, personally, don't want stalkers in my sorority.

Good luck in your search. I do wish you the best of luck in your endeavours.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I may be completely wrong, but isn't the idea of an "info only" rec. that there's no expectation that the writer of the rec. knows the woman?

I'd never write an internet rec. anyway, I don't think, but I'd have no problem with someone writing an internet rec. "info. only" rec as long as you had some method of verifying some of the info.

OTW, I'm afraid you are right, but I also kind of wonder how many people really do merge CG with RL enough to send no recs. I sometimes think that people who are otherwise super nice in real life just enjoy a license to snark here.

It's not a chance I'd personally take, and I don't know how much "info. only" recs help a PNM anyway.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Our form has a box to check that says "I do not personally know this woman, but she was refered by a trusted source".

I don't consider GC a "trusted scource".
Old 07-19-2007, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I think the thing to do might be to contact an alumnae group near the poster and give them her information - to do with as they wish. I know that in the past we had alumnae who were associated with certain schools. So if a pnm from East High needed a rec, the East High associated alumna would network to find someone who knew her.