GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,439
2 members and 1,437 guests
No Members online

Old 01-14-2005, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

its one thing if you choose to go there but i feel bad for anyone who is forced to go there by their parents.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

We talked about BJ in my "Cults and Sects" class. The religious fundamentalism is just to the extreme. They have regular assemblies, and we saw a video of one where they are explaing the natural relationship between a man and a woman. They have the All-American-Chrisitan couple come up and he tells them to stand next to eachother, and 'It's ok to stand close this one time, I promise" He then proceeds to explain that a good relationship is not when the man and woman are next to eachother, but when he steps behind her to guide and support her.

They also did a segment on the seperate classes. Women still are REQUIRED to take home ec and they learn to dress and have their very own book on BJU's standards.

If you are way hard-core Chrisitan this school is probably great for you. Imagine some of these students going to ...UW Madison, for example. Can we say culture/value shock? The school really keeps in the family as the Jones' still run the place. Still not a place I really think the President of the US needs to be aligning himself with if he really thinks he can ease division in this country.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaDG
Correct me someone if I'm wrong, but I believe it's both. I think they have K-12 classes as well.
yes, that is true.

We read a couple cases on them in my Non-Profit Organizations class that had to do with why/how they lost their tax exempt status.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:25 AM

Re: har har har de har har

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik P Conard
But, kids, back in the 50s some of the even-state supported schools had mandatory chapel and bible reading before student
council meetings...where? Well, Slippery Rock, Clarion, to name
two....then we started the Greeks there....I know, I was there.
LOL. One of our alums told me we had the pantyhose rule too.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Bob Jones University

Ah, "BoJo". "The World's Most Unusual University" (their slogan).

Having gone to a private christian school growing up (believe a BoJo recruiter came to my school, not sure if anyone signed up with them), and having gone to college in Greenville, SC (where BoJo is), I am a little familiar with that school and their like.

You drive by the campus and you think you're driving past a military base (walls and a guard station). They'd take groups of students to the malls in school buses. Boys & girls would be dressed like they're going to sunday school and they would site at different ends of the buses. A teacher I had in high school told us his experiences once dating a girl going to BoJo.

Never cared for those sorts of schools. As others have noted, far right-wing christian with a LOT of restrictions on what you can do. (no going to movies, holding hands with your date, etc. etc.)
Section 71 Chair
Old 01-14-2005, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Am I too assume that once they are married they are allowed to have sex? But probably only for the purpose of having kids, correct?

When you are engaged can you them hold hands? Or only when you're married? If you're married and have a pool in your backyard, can the husband and wife swim together? What about when the have kids, both a boy and a girl. Can siblings swim in the pool together?

I guess I'm wondering when lines that you can't cross when you're single you can cross when you're married.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

This wouldn't bother me at all if the BJU people left the rest of us alone. Take the Amish as a counter-example; they live according to much stricter rules than this, and yet most "modern" people respect and admire them for it. Why? Because it's a system that works for them, and they're not trying to take over the rest of the world. If you want to join them, great; if you don't, that's your business.

BJU, in contrast, is trying to sell its system to everyone. It actively and aggressively recruits. The community is extremely active politically and will come straight out and tell you that their goal is to pass laws forcing everyone to live according to their moral rules (recriminalization of premarital sex, books/music/videos banned, etc.). They have tremendous pull in Washington; W spoke there when the interracial dating ban was still in effect.

Now, they have every right to pursue those goals, but because they are putting themselves out there as a political movement, I've got every right to call them out on it and say that they're a dangerous cult bent on taking our freedoms away.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Most of the policies remind me of Oklahoma Christian University... Yes, Oklahoma has both Oral Roberts (ORU) and OXU.

Except, Oklahoma Christian allows "Greek Life" with certain approved Christian fraternities and sororities, though, I have no clue whether or not they are national...

The thing that gets me about these "Universities" is how the students/faculty/administraton look down on students at secular schools. Also, it seems to be all about the appearance of propriety, but actually acting just like, and in some cases worse than, secular school students.

Last edited by kstar; 01-14-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kstar
Except, Oklahoma Christian allows "Greek Life" with certain approved Christian fraternities and sororities, though, I have no clue whether or not they are national...
Nope, not National.
see http://www.oc.edu/services/handbook/...ed_8_17_04.pdf

Still pretty conservative but definitely more liberal than BJU!

Randy
Old 01-14-2005, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: I haven't read any of the other responses, but...

Quote:
Originally posted by SigK_Bama
They make froshes wear fecking buttons around campus for the first few weeks? Does this really signal to upperclassmen and staff members that you're new and "may need some extra explanation and attention"? On my campus it would have been a blaring, red, flashing light that screamed, "I'm a freshman! Someone come over here and kick my ass!!"

I'm sure the women have to carry around freshly baked cookies to give the freshman on campus.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a friend who was in a christian sorority in college (which I'm assuming is pretty similar to one of these BJU societies - fellowship, praying together, community service, etc.). But my friend said that it was basically a way to gossip and pass judgment on other people's behavior... " Let's all pray for Jodi because she succumbed to the devil this weekend and stayed out at a mixed social 10 mins past cerfew." My friend ended up dropping out cause she felt that the whole thing was basically a corruption of real christian values.

The thing I find disturbing about BJU is that the whole place reeks of sexism. The brochure repeatedly describes female students as "girls," but refers to the male students as "men." Also, the part about not having your mom unpack your stuff is directed to mothers of sons but not to mothers of daughters. Men can wear shorts to play sports and for recreation but women cannot been seen in shorts unless they are in the sports center or in the dorms(I guess if you want to go to the sports center you have to bring a change of clothes). There is a nurse assigned to the women's dorm but not the men's (I'm assuming this is either for "swooning spells" or "women's troubles").
Old 01-14-2005, 01:38 PM

Re: I haven't read any of the other responses, but...

Quote:
Originally posted by SigK_Bama
They make froshes wear fecking buttons around campus for the first few weeks? Does this really signal to upperclassmen and staff members that you're new and "may need some extra explanation and attention"? On my campus it would have been a blaring, red, flashing light that screamed, "I'm a freshman! Someone come over here and kick my ass!!"
Ah, but kicking someone's ass would be un-Christian. Besides, if the freshman in question were a woman, how would you find her ass under all those loose-fitting skirts?
Old 01-14-2005, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Every Founders Day, we read about ADPi's first day as "The Adelphean Society." There's a passage about the girls hurrying to prayers, going to class, taking long healthy walks in the garden, going to dinner, more prayer, studying and a mandatory lights-out. I find it interesting that 154 years later, there's a place in the US that still embraces those kinds of traditions.

To each his own.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
Every Founders Day, we read about ADPi's first day as "The Adelphean Society." There's a passage about the girls hurrying to prayers, going to class, taking long healthy walks in the garden, going to dinner, more prayer, studying and a mandatory lights-out. I find it interesting that 154 years later, there's a place in the US that still embraces those kinds of traditions.

To each his own.
It's great they want to embrace it, but as IVYSpice pointed out, they are trying to conform others.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to hunnie843
I completely agree. When it's Eugenia and her friends it seems so charming. When it's these people it just seems creepy.