GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma

Old 01-04-2011, 11:27 AM

That's past perp and on to creepy "Friends Till The End" territory. I would say she pretty much shot her chances for AI in ANY sorority.

This could never happen in our chapter - it's small enough (we never had over 60 actives) that a fake alum would get busted in 2.5 seconds. Ditto for the other chapters on our campus.

I actually have a chapter listing of all the women initiated into our chapter from when we did our centennial reunion, and when anyone asks to join our FB group, they need to give me their maiden name and pledge class...or you ain't getting in. If your HQ can provide such a thing, I would recommend it for whoever maintains membership in your chapter facebook group.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
LOL! Well, I certainly don't need to live through my daughters, I have letters of my own! Most of these came through the chapters themselves as gifts on parents' days and others came from gifts straight from the groups' national websites.

However, the word "mom" somehow seems to be invisible to a few people, who come up and start doing cheers from that sorority or exclaim that they were an ABC at ThisorThat University.
AH I know you arent living vicariously through them
Old 01-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That's past perp and on to creepy "Friends Till The End" territory. I would say she pretty much shot her chances for AI in ANY sorority.

This could never happen in our chapter - it's small enough (we never had over 60 actives) that a fake alum would get busted in 2.5 seconds. Ditto for the other chapters on our campus.

I actually have a chapter listing of all the women initiated into our chapter from when we did our centennial reunion, and when anyone asks to join our FB group, they need to give me their maiden name and pledge class...or you ain't getting in. If your HQ can provide such a thing, I would recommend it for whoever maintains membership in your chapter facebook group.
Hmmm... This is how it's supposed to work with ADPi, too! I know that Alumnae Associations are to do that, as we had a deactivated member try to join. She was given a second chance by EO, but blew that one, too. No more ADPi for her (I would hope!). I do hope that you contacted EO about this wannabe, so the other chapters can be warned.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:

I'm admin for a few Sigma-related FB groups/events (one chapter specific and some not), and since those groups are closed/private, I use our directory (via SigmaConnect) to double-check peeps I've never heard of. I suggest that everyone else do the same. I've busted perps before and tend to pay more attention to this sort of thing than the average sister probably does.

Ex: A woman tried to join a group claiming to be an alumna from the 90s. I directory searched her--terminated her membership during her senior year. I denied her request. She messaged me asking why her request was denied. I told her why. Her response: "I don't care what HQ says. I was an officer for 2 years and spent thousands of dollars on Sigma. I'll always be a Sigma in my heart."

I couldn't do anything except LOL. This same woman has attempted to join the CLE alumnae chapter unsuccessfully, because well, "in your heart" means nothing to actual Sigmas. lol.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, I just got some more information from another active from this chapter. (hi,"Mischief"!) She told me this woman's name and that she's got ADPi stuff all over her Facebook and she does!!! Worse yet, she's friended several legit ADPis; I know one of them.

I am stunned by the nerve of this woman.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Mus, do you have an online or print membership directory like the ones mentioned in this thread? I've been wondering about someone who has posted here. (Poor Phi Mu: they've had more than their share of phony members on GC lately.)
Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
There is a look up. I have requested out of it for personal reasons, but I can still be found on our "Bloom" which is like Myspace, but for Phi Mus only.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter is a very small one and we don't receive much help from the local alumnae chapter. Most of the help we do get is from our recent alums and advisors. We all felt like that lady was creepy...she stayed on our hall (we don't have a house at my university) with a sister during recruitment! Not only did she add active sisters, she also friended many of our recent alums who were still students. After we got word from EO that she was not a sister, our chapter advisor told us all to defriend and block her on facebook. She apparently has several different profiles under various names that are close to the name she introduced herself under. On her facebook page she had pictures of founder's headstones and her doing diamonds (by herself) beside them, from an alumnae bbq and from the ADPi museum at EO.
That lady went to some incredible lengths to appear 'legit'! Gah! It still makes me mad!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBearADPi View Post
My chapter is a very small one and we don't receive much help from the local alumnae chapter. Most of the help we do get is from our recent alums and advisors. We all felt like that lady was creepy...she stayed on our hall (we don't have a house at my university) with a sister during recruitment! Not only did she add active sisters, she also friended many of our recent alums who were still students. After we got word from EO that she was not a sister, our chapter advisor told us all to defriend and block her on facebook. She apparently has several different profiles under various names that are close to the name she introduced herself under. On her facebook page she had pictures of founder's headstones and her doing diamonds (by herself) beside them, from an alumnae bbq and from the ADPi museum at EO.
That lady went to some incredible lengths to appear 'legit'! Gah! It still makes me mad!
Does ADPi have a Sister Directory you can access online?

Why the heck would you let some random person in your homes without verifying them first? Sorry you girls had to go through this, but I just don't get how anyone could just let her in like that.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Creeptastic. Who let her on the hall? On the bright side, stalking is a form of creepy flattery.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 01-05-2011, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by U Go Glen Coco! View Post
Does ADPi have a Sister Directory you can access online?

Why the heck would you let some random person in your homes without verifying them first? Sorry you girls had to go through this, but I just don't get how anyone could just let her in like that.
I have no idea how she got so close to any of us but yes, we are all at fault for letting it happen. I know that I initially assumed that she had been checked out by our advisors and our chapter's executive members... Obviously I was wrong!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
I have no idea how she got so close to any of us but yes, we are all at fault for letting it happen. I know that I initially assumed that she had been checked out by our advisors and our chapter's executive members... Obviously I was wrong!
Out of curiousity, how old was she?
Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Out of curiousity, how old was she?
Roughly mid- to late forties.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sanjiyan69 Send a message via Skype™ to sanjiyan69
Just started reading this and WOW. There are some crazy people here. I think they just want some attention they never received back then...

Luckily we never had anyone pretending to be brothers....not sure what would happen to those guys if they tried us and get busted.

ΛΧΑ

My facebook
Old 01-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago88 View Post
Speaking of that I saw a "Tri Delt Dad" shirt today in the airport. I wouldn't mind my mom wearing a shirt or two but when you have your daughers sorority letters and under neath it saying like "ZTA MOM" I find that weird. Like living vicariously through your daughter.
You aren't Greek. You have no idea what these things may mean to an organization. You really need to step away from the keyboard and worry about your recruitment.