GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,307
2 members and 2,305 guests
TLLK

Old 07-08-2000, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to molasses79
Cool Black Fraternity/Sorority Image

Hello, why is their so much problems between all the greek fraternities and sororities. For example, the Delta's and the AKA's; Alpha's and Kappa's- it seems like everyone is competeing to better then everyone else. I got this E-mail from my friends about AKA's and Delta's, about who's the best. Why is their so many issues about that? Also, the Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, why don't they recieve that much respect from other sororities and fraternities? Is it because they were the last group. It seems that every Black Fraternity/ Sorority has some kind of identity to go with them- fornstance if you want to be an AKA-you have to be fair skin, Kappa-you have to be a pretty boy or whatever...Why is that?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-08-2000, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Generally speaking, rivalry between the BGLOs are good-natured fun. When all is said and done we support each other in our (mostly common) goals. In terms of steryotypes(sp), most human orgainzations have reputations of one kind or another..good or bad. Some are based on historical fact, others base on a lie that just got repeated often enough that it started to take on the air of truth. As far as the Iotas are concerned, I have all love and respect for what I know of this orgainization, but it took some of our orgs. 94, 92, or 87 years to be as well known and established as we are.. give them and everyone else some time.
Old 07-09-2000, 12:04 AM
shadytail

Well said. For the most part all the perceived animosity is just fun. Our main purpose is to assist the community.

I took a friend of mine to a block show. She had never been to one and was not familiar with the manner that we "taunt" each other. She told me later that she thought we were being really mean to one another/
Old 07-09-2000, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

yeah, I must agree with the prior posts, it is mainly just for fun.We all have love for one another and as far as the Iotas are concerned I love all of my brothers in greekdom the same and I know that many others feel the same way.
Old 07-09-2000, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DELTABRAT:
I would prefer to say "the latest" perhaps.
well said
Old 07-10-2000, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I have to agree with all of the posts. Most of the taunting between members of BGLOs is all in fun. If one doesn't take it personal then they (usually) can poke fun without being too overboard.

As far as Iota, I have a lot of friends within this organization. I have love for Iota's. In general, I think it takes a while for people to "warm" up to new groups because I think, initially, it "seems" like they for whatever reason, are "dissing" your organization by joining one that is fairly new, etc. Or like "Why didn't their Founders just join XYZ frat, instead."
I do want to say one thing and that is that Iotas are not the "last" fraternity to be founded. There are a lot of BGLOs out there that are NOT members of the NPHC. Additionaly, they probably won't be the last to join the NPHC. I would prefer to say "the latest" perhaps.
Old 07-10-2000, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by kaidi06; 10-24-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: ...
Old 07-10-2000, 02:10 PM
dotcom06

Stuff like that happens. Some people take it too far and treat other greek organizations as a rival gang. Its an "US" vs "Them" mentality taken to the extreme. I've had friends whose 'nelia was taken from them and ripped up just b/c they were apart of another greek org. That's ignorant and vicious. What happened to Greek Love.
Basically, you can talk about another org all you want. But the bottom line is what are you doing to uphold the tenets of your fraternity. You're not representing your org positively if you want to tear down other people.

I sometimes joke w/ my Que friends about who "runs the yard" but its all fun. Nothing serious or worth fighting over.

Quote:
Originally posted by kaidi06:
I agree with you guys in a way as far as the dissing and stuff being fun and games. But sometimes it goes way beyond jokes. This past Greek Picnic weekend here in Philly just showed how ugly BGLO members can get at times. On Friday night at the end of a party the Ques and Sigmas were all up in each other's faces. It never got physical, but they clrarly were not playing. And the crazy thing about it was the fact that the party was co-sponsored by the 2 organizations. On Saturday at the stepshow the Ques and Sigmas actually did get into a fight. It was ridiculous. All I remember was this Que on stage kickin' Sigmas who were down on the floor. I almost felt ashamed to be Greek after such an event
Old 07-10-2000, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

most members realize that the chants etc. are all in fun, we are all bias towards our own. however some individuals seem to take those words WAY to SERIOUS as if they were a matter of life and death. again the Iotas are the newest to NPHC probably not the last, and last doesn't always mean least, first doesn't always mean the best, but innovative/pioneering come to mind stereotypes are so tired, some people just can't find anything better to do then rehash them year after year after year i'm digging the greek unity on this board as of late. SkeeWee, SkeePhi and much Greek love esp. to those ladies of DST that venture into the AKA forum to drop words of wisdom and kindness

[This message has been edited by PositivelyAKA (edited July 10, 2000).]
Old 08-07-2000, 06:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IotaNet
Molasses79 Wrote:

Quote:
... the Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, why don't they recieve that much respect from other sororities and fraternities? Is it because they were the last group.
As a 20-year member and national officer of Iota Phi Theta, I find that most of the people who have a problem with Iota are those who haven't taken the time to do a little research about us. You have to remember that before we joined the NPHC, no new group had joined in 60 years. In fact, until 1993, the NPHC constitution didn't even have a provision for allowing an additional organization to join.

It's human nature to be leery of what you don't know and sometimes to belittle what you don't understand. Black Greekdom had been around for almost 60 years before Iota was founded and there are members of other BGLO's that have been members of their organizations for longer than Iota has been in existence. We recognize that some folks don't know and we accept that some folks don't WANT to know.

Having said that, we have a phrase within Iota Phi Theta ... "Either you love us or you don't know us."

'nuff said!

[This message has been edited by IotaNet (edited August 07, 2000).]
Old 08-14-2000, 10:26 AM
hypothermia

We just got our first Iota on our yard last year. He came from another school and represented. I was just wondering what the national website was because I want to learn more Iota Phi Theta. I believe that if I am ignorant of other fraternity's past and principles than I cannot truly say that I love my own with all my heart.
Old 08-14-2000, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Lightbulb

Hypothermia-

Iota Phi Theta's website is:
http://www.iotaphitheta.org

ZetaAce
Old 08-14-2000, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to MaMaBuddha Send a message via AIM to MaMaBuddha Send a message via Yahoo to MaMaBuddha
i had to drop in and add my .13 cents...

when you are part of an organization you will always big up YOUR organization. at my college were i pledged, i use to think Deltas and the AKA's were not very friendly at all before i began my greekdom journey. but when me and my friends joined the organizations that we wanted, we joked and played and chanted and cheered and we realized it was all in fun. i have all kinds of friends that are AKA's..Zeta's..SGRho's. it is kinda like little kids joking and playing the dozens. and we all have mad luv for each other because we have the same thing in common...the upliftment of the community.

some times it can get out of hand and fights occur. and when you find out what the fight was all about, it was wasn't serious. but there are people out there that take it to heart.
Old 08-15-2000, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I THINK WHEN THE JOKES ARE MADE IN FUN THEN IT'S COOL. BUT NO ONE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER. I SAY THIS BECAUSE WE ALL WERE FOUNDED ON DIFFERENT PRINCIPLES. I MEAN IT'S TO FEEL THAT YOUR ORG AND CHAPTER IS THE BEST OTHERWISE WHY JOIN IT. WE ALL NEED TO UNITE AND GET TOGETHER TO HELP EACH OTHER AND STOP THE NONSENSE. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE DAY WHEN ALL THE BGLO CAN GAVE LIKE A BIG
BAR B QUE TOGETHER AND GET ALONG. MAYBE I'M JUST DREAMING LET ME KNOW.
G.O.M.A.B.
Old 08-19-2000, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

It's all in fun. Everyone thinks their organization is the best and some are just known to have more interests so they are perceived as the best by GDI's. There has to be some friendly competition just to keep everyone on their toes, but everyone has respect for each others organization and their are lines we won't cross.