GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,469
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, davidjuioro5780
» Online Users: 2,169
4 members and 2,165 guests
davidjuioro5780, DoubleRose, MSKKG, oncegreek

Old 06-26-2006, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RG-SAM
I served as a Field Representative for Sigma Alpha Mu from 2004-2005.

I now serve as our Regional Governor in the Northeast Province and am President of our RI Alumni Association.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-27-2006, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog
I want to see if active alums have a suggestion for this: My dad sees Phi Tau as something he did in college. Charlotte, NC has one of the highest populations in the country of Phi Taus, according to his Triangle mag. (which I think I read more then he does). I would like to see him get involved again, but I don't know how to inspire him to do that. I've pointed out that article that said there are a bunch of Phi Taus in the area, and he pretty much said "That's nice, maybe I'll look them up someday"...I'm frustrated, because I would love it if there were more ASAs in my area.
Do they have a Founders' Day celebration? It seems like that might be an ideal way to reintroduce him to the group. Or maybe his collegiate chapter has a reunion that he might attend to reignite his enthusiasm.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PKPILZ003 Send a message via Yahoo to PKPILZ003
[QUOTE=ISUKappa]Are you involved in the local, regional or (inter)national level?
I am a Founding Member of My Chapter of Phi Psi and have been involved with the fraternity since that date in 1991

What do you do, specifically?
I am the Chapter Advisor for both my own Chapter (IL Zeta) and also another Chapter (IL Theta). I helped start the IL Theta Colony/Chapter. I'm on the House Corporation for both (was President of IL Zeta House Corp for 3 years). I'm the Area Alumni Director for IL/WI, I'm a dues paying member of the Chicago Alumni Association and I've been the Chairman of the Extension Committee for our Grand Arch Council over the last 4 years. Along with that, I serve on DePaul's Alumni roundtable for fraternity and sorority affairs. Also, if I'm lucky, I'll be initiated into the Order of the SC this summer at the GAC.

Why did you choose this area of involvement?
I am a firm believer that if you feel the fraternity helped you out in any way, you're obligiged to give back - either with time or money - since I've been poor for a while, time it is. Plus i enjoy dealing with the undergraduates - they keep me young and it helps me when i deal with my brothers on a national level.

Are you also a dues paying alumni member of your GLO? If so, does that mean you pay dues only to your local alumni chapter or you pay separate local and international alumni dues to be considered an active alumna? If you are not a dues paying alumni member, why not?
I pay dues to the Chicago Alumni Association. I donate to my Chapter's Chapter Scholarship Program and to the general portion of the Endowment Fund of Phi Kappa Psi. - that's how we stay life Loyal

Hope that answers your questions.
[B]"Let us be who we say we are...a FRATERNITY, not a club; run by MEN, not boys; and based on IDEALS, not expediency."[/B]
Old 08-15-2006, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum
It's probably been asked before, but how many of you are actively involved with your GLO as an alum?

Are you involved in the local, regional or (inter)national level?

Are you also a dues paying alumni member of your GLO? If so, does that mean you pay dues only to your local alumni chapter or you pay separate local and international alumni dues to be considered an active alumna? If you are not a dues paying alumni member, why not?

I know that AOP, DDD, DC and SC have Life Loyal programs and I'm sure there are more. If your GLO has a "Life Loyal" type program, are you a member? If not, why not?

I am very involved as an alumnae member of Kappa Alpha Theta.

I am involved at the local level. I am on one chapter's facility corporation board, and the corresponding secretary of my alumnae chapter. I work with another chapter 3 hours away as a permanent alumnae secretary. In the past, I've been a scholarship advisor to my chapter, and alumnae chapter representative to my chapter. I hope to hold more offices/switch offices at the local level and take a regional office once nursing school is complete.

I chose these areas because the positions needed filling and I volunteered my time to do them.

Given the above information, I am a dues paying alumnae member as well as a foundation contributor. All alumnae dues can be paid to the chapter in which an alumnae belongs. If an alumnae member is not a member of an alumnae chapter, she can pay her alumnae per capita fees directly to HQ.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
I hadn't been for a while, but the Chicago APO alumni association is coming back to life this year so I've been getting involved. I went to the anniversary celebration in December, which was the first APO thing I'd been to in ages! I have since gone to the events the association's had this summer.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
Alum Involvement

I haven't joined Life Loyal yet. I was waiting for my money to come so I can do that. But, I want to. I'm not active in an alum chapter yet. I've been in touch with our Denver alum, but that is still a 4 hour drive south of where I am. There isn't one here. Although, I've been in touch with a few Tennessee alum chapters, and I'm looking forward to being involved when I move back to Tennessee next year!
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I miss being around Phi Mu. Unfortunately, the nearest alumni chapter is about an hour's drive from my city. I try to keep in touch with my sisters through email and myspace, LOL If I lived closer to my alma mater (which is pretty far upstate) I would be a more supportive alum...
Old 09-08-2006, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

What is funny, is that no matter how far you may be from Your Chapter, there is a still a connection there.

You need to work whether far or near, they are Your Chapter.

Do You stay in touch?

Does Your Chapter Keep in touch with The Alums?

While Alum Chapters are great, consider Your Home Chapter.

As I said above, do You and Your Sisters keep in touch with them?

Do You give donations to them? Do You work with them when possible?

God, I have been working on this for a long time and it is not easy. But The need whether close or far, They Do need Your support!

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 02-10-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:49 PM

It's probably been asked before, but how many of you are actively involved with your GLO as an alum?

I'm involved.

I'm a recent alumna so I'm only involved locally at the moment. I'm on the Membership Recruitment Advisory Team for my collegiate chapter. I'm also a member my nearest alumna chapter.

I work with 3 other alumnae to help the VP of Recruitment with whatever she needs to have a successful recruitment.

Recruitment (both formal and COB) was my favorite part of being a collegian, so naturally, it's the thing I want to help with the most.

I pay both national and local alumnae chapter dues.

I know that AOP, DDD, DC and SC have Life Loyal programs and I'm sure there are more. If your GLO has a "Life Loyal" type program, are you a member? If not, why not?

We do have a Lifetime Membership program, but it's quite expensive and I plan on becoming a Life Member once I can afford it. [/QUOTE]

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I just became actively involved again

local

I am the New Member/Member Ed adviser for the local collegiate chapter

I've wanted to be an adviser for awhile, and when this opportunity came about, I jumped on it

I am a dues paying alumna of Delta Gamma, and I pay on the national level
Old 02-08-2007, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Fantastic!

Alums are a lot bigger part of their Chapters and IHQs than can be beleived!

KUDOS to You!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-09-2007, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
I have tried to stay active since graduating in 2003

local

I am currently the secretary for the local Alum Association. I also try to help out with recruitment for the local chapter. I also have been previously involved with another alum association before I moved and have helped out with other chapter recruitments as well.

As a grad student I want to stay involved and this was a way to do so without interfering with school, and without too much financial commitment (let me repeat I am a grad student).

I do pay dues to the local alum association. As previously mentioned ADPi doesn't have alum dues on the international level.

As mentioned, ADPi has the ReMember ADPi program, which I try to be a part of as long as I have the money (the wonders of being paycheck to paycheck many months as a grad student)... But once graduating and hopefully having a "real" job I plan to be more financially active in terms of that.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:51 AM
docphi

Smile I get involved

I'm involved with my organization whenever I have some free time. With work and family it can be hard to get and stay involved. But for your organization you have to do all that you can.

Dr. Kelvin A Barry, Sr.
Phi Sigma Chi Fraternity, Inc.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm involved more so now than when I first got out of college.

Local for now. I'm needed there so I am happy to serve there.

I am an advisor for the chapter by where I live. I also help out and volunteer when and if needed at special events.

I actually did it b/c I moved & really don't know anyone near me. All my friends & family are at least an hour or more drive away. I started getting bored & lonely when the lightbulb came on. There's a chapter of my GLO right by me so I inquired into it & now I have good friends right next to me. It's great! Because of my work schedule, it is easy to coordinate things around work. I'm fairly flexible during the evenings & weekends & it's not too demanding of my time.

I am a dues paying member. I pay my dues for my local alumni chapter.

I'll have to check into this one. I've never thought about it actually. I just figured that being initiated and paying my dues meant that I was a lifelong member of my GLO. Something to look into...
Old 02-10-2007, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

This is very good to hear from so many people!

While there are two venues to look at and either one is a great help to the Organization.

1. National Level.

A. Working within the GLO.
B. Donating Money.

2. Local Level.

A. Working with the local in and advisory position.
B. Donating Money.

Sounds simple doesn't it?

Depending on how an IHQ works with field Represenatives it can be a big thing coming out of College. It usually is easier for the Fraternities to hire and work with them. They do travel a lot and for no more than two years. While the Pay is not great, the experience is fantastic!

One of My Alums Wife is a Reagional Director of ASA.
One of My Represenatives was a Regional Manager of KS.
A past National President is now Pesident of the Local Chapter House Corporation.

I have been a member of the House Corporation for 10 years and stepped down to start as first President of our House Alumni Association. I am the contact for building a email listing to keep in touch.

While I am a life member of My Fraternity, (Living Will), I still try to do many things for my Local Chapter. I buy LXA items for our Auction to bring money to the Chapter. I am a mentor for not only the Local but the National.

It is not easy for the new Alums who are starting out on their own and getting into a new job or a family, it is important to be just a member who stays in contact with the chapter but the members.

Any and all help is a Great Help!

Thanks to all of You Alums who do anything!

You are needed!

LX Z # 1
Alumni