GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 792
0 members and 792 guests
No Members online

Old 12-30-2004, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Student Teaching

Anyone student teaching this semester? I have 5th grade math and science. ANyone else?
Old 12-31-2004, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I am!

Teacher credentialing in California is different than most states and is a post-baccalaureate program versus a bachelor program... mine is a year and a half program and it's so intensive especailly due to No Child Left Behind! I'm starting my second semester and will be student teaching in a primary elementary class, I din't have my exact assignment yet, but am so excited!

My third semester will be in upper elementary but I want to teach the little babies... like first and second grade, they are so much fun at that age.

Good Luck and have fun, azdtaxi!
Old 12-31-2004, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BirthaBlue4
Me too. At my school, we do a Yearlong Internship, which is Methods in the fall with teaching two days a week, then teaching everyday in the Spring. I start next week teaching everyday. I'm in a third grade class, and we're departmentalized, so I do Reading/Language Arts for my homeroom, and Math for all the third grade. But since my major is Early Childhood and Special Ed, at the end of February I go to a special ed center which is 5 y/o and under, for 8 weeks.

I kinda don't want to go because I LOVE my class and mentor teacher (we have the same class for the fall and spring). Oh well. She doesn't want me to go either.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriDeltaGal
I am!

Teacher credentialing in California is different than most states and is a post-baccalaureate program versus a bachelor program... mine is a year and a half program and it's so intensive especailly due to No Child Left Behind! I'm starting my second semester and will be student teaching in a primary elementary class, I din't have my exact assignment yet, but am so excited!

My third semester will be in upper elementary but I want to teach the little babies... like first and second grade, they are so much fun at that age.

Good Luck and have fun, azdtaxi!
Why is California like that? So no undergrad teacher certification program? DO they have elementary ed like as a major? We only student teach for one semester in the same grade all day every day after we have finished all of our other classes. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by azdtaxi
Why is California like that? So no undergrad teacher certification program? DO they have elementary ed like as a major? We only student teach for one semester in the same grade all day every day after we have finished all of our other classes. Good luck.
You know, I honestly don't know why California is different than other states when it comes to credentialing teachers and no, none of our colleges give education degrees that automatically give credentials. I think the closest thing would be a Liberal Arts major at our CSUs, but that only fufills a small portion of the prereqs. Also, I believe that CA doesn't recognize bachelor credentials because I know a girl in my class is here from PA where she was already teaching with a Education B.A. but she has to still go through the program here. However, because of the rigorousness of CA's teaching credentialing and because my program is nationally-credited, I can transfer my credential to something like 42 states.

Anyway, I think it comes down to CA's large and diverse student population on why our credentialing is so different. I really don't know though... I'll try and ask my mom, she's a principal at a elementary school.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to FAUNikki
I begin Student Teaching an Jan 10, just another week or so! Im scared. Luckily I am in a state (Florida) that it is required that you pass certification in order to even receive your degree. We also come out with automatic ESOL endorsement. I still feel like Im 12 and yet I am going to be teaching on my own in August!
I am in a 5th grade class in a lower-income neighborhood. I finish ST April 29 and graduate May 6!!!
Old 01-02-2005, 06:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trojangal
Good luck to all of you student teachers this semester during your internships!

I'll be sending prayers your way!

Membership in a sorority brings pride and responsibility. Let your actions reflect the same.
CAB, Delta Eta, University of South Florida
Old 01-02-2005, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by trojangal
Good luck to all of you student teachers this semester during your internships!

I'll be sending prayers your way!
Thanks so much!!!
Old 01-12-2005, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

How is everyone semesters going for student teaching? I dont start until the 18th and am pumped.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

School doesn't start for me until the 23rd and student teaching starts a week after that... I don't even have my assigned school yet!
I'm getting excited too!