GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,985
0 members and 1,985 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMizzou View Post
Ok-that's part of the problem. We know several girls that were cut-who , if we are talking tiers, which is ridiculous, did not want some of the 'top' tier houses. Perhaps shocking to some, but some of these girls have worked themselves to the bone in high school-and don't want to settle for a 'pretty' house when actually they are being cut by those other houses because they assume these 'pretty' girls won't give them a chance- and they want to maximize their options. But that might be part of the problem-because they are 'pretty' some of those other houses cut them because they think they won't consider them? From what I've just read-it seems there are many thinking girls dropped when they didn't get a 'top' house. I personally know for a fact there were many girls that wanted what you might consider mid-or even lower-tier houses. they were dropped early. they had 2 options. they were nervous because they didn't want a 'pretty' or 'party' house. It works both ways, girls are far more educated these days than people give them credit for. I would say more specifically on this, but I do not want to offend anyone on what choices their daughters make. It's unfortunate to think that there are parents who think the only reason girls drop is because they didn't get a 'top' house. "top" is defined differently by many-lets not lump all these girls into being totally superficial.
Thank you for bringing this up. I definitely agree
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-23-2015, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Over the years, we've seen people suggest that these outstanding girls who are dropped approach a sorority that's under total and try to join as a group. I recall this happening a few times and here's how it went down. The juniors and seniors highly resented the newbs who were trying to change their sorority into something they never wanted (maybe the older ones liked the smaller size or low-key ways) and all hell broke loose.

The idea really does sound great in theory but it doesn't always play out like you'd think it would.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quota was 83!!!

Every chapter matched to quota!!!

Congrats to all involved. I suspect there may be a few chapters who are below total once that number is released. (Including my own chapter, potentially.) So there may be COB options. But with every chapter matching to quota, there will be no snap bids this year.

Here's to hoping the PNMs on the field this morning are thrilled with their new homes!

Also, while I won't disclose actual numbers, as I'm not sure that is appropriate, I will reiterate that, as of the end of recruitment, 9.7% of the women who registered and did not end up with a bid were released by all chapters. The other 90.3% chose to withdraw when they still had invitations, or failed to maximize their options after preference (suicide or only listed 2 of 3). I'm not blaming those women or casting stones, but I think it is important not to malign the process or disparage the entire system based on rumors about how many women were released this year. Again, hugs to anyone who is disappointed. I can only imagine the heartbreak!!

Last edited by pbear19; 08-23-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Live stream from Faurot Field at 10 am.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Thinking of all the Moms this morning--those whose daughters are waiting for Bids, and also those who were up last night wondering how to support their girls who are so sad that they won't be at Faurot today.

Hang in there everyone! This week classes begin and whatever the outcome, their focus can move beyond Rush and onto finding their place on campus academically and socially. For a lot of these girls a sorority will be an important part of that picture and I am just thrilled for them. 30 years later I feel more connected to my sorority than ever and see, with hindsight, benefits that I didn't even realize as a collegian.

For those who aren't Greek at the moment, academic and service Greek Letter Organizations, faith based organizations, Residence Halls, student government, clubs focused on sports and any other interest you can imagine are all ways to start getting involved on campus. And there's always COB! Again, if that's an interest for your daughters, encourage them to reach out to new sorority members in their dorms and classes and other organizations in the coming months. The more involved and invested they become on campus, the happier they'll be (while also likely improving their chances of joining a sorority later via COB).

A big hug to everyone here: Moms and chapter advisors. We all want what's best for Mizzou's Greek system and for the girls going through recruitment. Chapter advisors and Panhellenic Officers, thank you very much for your service to your GLOs and to the Greek System. You help keep Mizzou sororities strong.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear19 View Post
Quota was 83!!!

Every chapter matched to quota!!!

Congrats to all involved. I suspect there may be a few chapters who are below total once that number is released. (Including my own chapter, potentially.) So there may be COB options. But with every chapter matching to quota, there will be no snap bids this year.

Here's to hoping the PNMs on the field this morning are thrilled with their new homes!

Also, while I won't disclose actual numbers, as I'm not sure that is appropriate, I will reiterate that, as of the end of recruitment, 9.7% of the women who registered and did not end up with a bid were released by all chapters. The other 90.3% chose to withdraw when they still had invitations, or failed to maximize their options after preference (suicide or only listed 2 of 3). I'm not blaming those women or casting stones, but I think it is important not to malign the process or disparage the entire system based on rumors about how many women were released this year. Again, hugs to anyone who is disappointed. I can only imagine the heartbreak!!
WOW this is wonderful!!! How long has it been since every chapter made quota? I think this speaks to the power of RFM and also bodes well for the strength of ALL the chapters on campus. I'm really happy to hear this.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkintheWoods View Post
WOW this is wonderful!!! How long has it been since every chapter made quota? I think this speaks to the power of RFM and also bodes well for the strength of ALL the chapters on campus. I'm really happy to hear this.
2011 was the last year. It really is exciting!! I know this was a heartbreaking year for many, so it's wonderful to see some happy news at the end of the week.

Edit - and if I don't stop looking at numbers and texting/messaging/replying to everyone and their uncle, I'll never finish getting ready for bid day! But if any moms want information on which chapters are below total (once we know) and that are potentially going to have room for COBs immediately, feel free to message me. I'll do my best to help ensure every woman is able to go greek. Can't promise she'll have equal opportunity to be part of every chapter, but will help if I can to point her in the direction of the options available.

Last edited by pbear19; 08-23-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

No call this am for my girl :-) I guess the risk was worth it! So sad for the girls who didn't get matched.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

pbear 19 and any other chapter advisors, question for you:

Since this year's quota is smaller than last year's (I believe last year it was 93), what will they do in terms of placing new members with Bigs? Maybe this varies from sorority to sorority. Just wondering if they will have some new members with two pledge Moms/Bigs, or what?
Old 08-23-2015, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDmommy View Post
No call this am for my girl :-) I guess the risk was worth it! So sad for the girls who didn't get matched.
Hooray! So happy for your daughter ADGmommy!
Old 08-23-2015, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

AGDmommy congratulations to your daughter!
So happy it has all worked out and looking forward to watching the live stream today!
pbbear19 thanks for all of the accurate information-looking forward to continued growth!
Best of luck to all today!
Old 08-23-2015, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

AGDmommy. YAY! So happy for your daughter and for you as you celebrate with her. It sounds like she found a sisterhood that she feels a great connection to. Wishing her years of happiness with her new sisters.

So excited to hear from the other moms about where your daughters end up.

On another note, I'm supposed to be the greeter at church this morning. It starts at 10:30, so people will be arriving to be greeted starting about 10:15. I guess it would be inappropriate if I greeted them halfheartedly while watching the live stream of bid day with earbuds in ��. I may have to slip outside for a quick check after the service starts!

Can't wait to hear where your daughters end up. Maybe some of our daughters will end up as sisters!
Old 08-23-2015, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Since this year's quota is smaller than last year's (I believe last year it was 93), what will they do in terms of placing new members with Bigs? Maybe this varies from sorority to sorority. Just wondering if they will have some new members with two pledge Moms/Bigs, or what?
Usually it's just that not everyone gets a little. That's how it works in most chapters.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
pbear 19 and any other chapter advisors, question for you:

It will vary by group. Some may use a point system where members who have accumulated the most participation points get first priority to take a little. There also may be some women whose littles have left school/transferred and take another, or as you pointed out, they may double up.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
Usually it's just that not everyone gets a little. That's how it works in most chapters.
thanks Griffins@Quills. This seems really sad!
Closed Thread