GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,118
0 members and 2,118 guests
No Members online

Old 08-05-2012, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
I can believe the cost would be sky high, but since we're talking UT, would cost be a true deterrent? There's a lot of money, old, new and in between, in Texas.
I haven't been around the UT system in 15+ years, but I can tell you that yes...I do think it would be a deterrent. (and I think we've talked about that somewhere in the recent past on GC...too lazy to go find it)

For the org that takes on the expansion - the expense of buying a house/promoting a new chapter is a HUGE risk if it fails. KD was the last group to attempt this, and it was a giant leap for them. They've done great, but I think it was probably a real struggle for them at the beginning.

Plus, I'm not sure the system is exactly bursting at the seams (ala Ole Miss, Arkansas, etc...) and is in need of expansion.

All that, on top of the fact that there's a culture (mentioned in the post above yours) that so many women going through the process won't even consider any group that doesn't fit their closed mindset heading into the process. I think that's getting BETTER...but it's by no means "healed".
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-05-2012, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
I haven't been around the UT system in 15+ years, but I can tell you that yes...I do think it would be a deterrent. (and I think we've talked about that somewhere in the recent past on GC...too lazy to go find it)

For the org that takes on the expansion - the expense of buying a house/promoting a new chapter is a HUGE risk if it fails. KD was the last group to attempt this, and it was a giant leap for them. They've done great, but I think it was probably a real struggle for them at the beginning.

Plus, I'm not sure the system is exactly bursting at the seams (ala Ole Miss, Arkansas, etc...) and is in need of expansion.

All that, on top of the fact that there's a culture (mentioned in the post above yours) that so many women going through the process won't even consider any group that doesn't fit their closed mindset heading into the process. I think that's getting BETTER...but it's by no means "healed".
You're right on Shirley..things are better and I think most if not all of the chapters met quota last year, or came very close...but they have a long way to go.
In my opinion, expansion is not the answer at Texas..because *most* girls with an open mind will get placed. It's not that there isn't a place for them, the problem is that they may not like the place that they are offered. This goes way back...starting the in late 60's/early 70's with the Prudence Macintosh article..she really did such a dis-service to the UT greek system.

On another note..most people don't realize that the UT greek system only comprises about 12%, which is very small in comparison to other schools with ultra competitive recruitments.

Last edited by Ladybugmom; 08-05-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, if quota is 45 or so (probably reasonable with that number of rushees), would the chapters risk not meeting chapter total? And there's always COB, which would draw in some of those girls who didn't want to go through formal and solve the problem from a different direction.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

"The Big Six" mentality is hurtful to pnm's keeping open minds for sure. I will say that one of my friends D went thru a couple of years ago. She was a great girl from a wonderful family. Unfortunately she did not go to Camp at any of the popular camps and unfortunately didn't know many girls in the houses. She is in a supposed "lower teir house" but she loves it and has a great bond with her sisters. I am very happy for her but I will say she had huge cuts going thru recruitment and it was a very emotional week for this girl. She kept an open mind and is truly enjoying greek life.

I think it is hard for many of these girls that were top of their class, active in high school to face the cuts that they do (they feel so rejected) and end up dropping out, when there really is a place for them..It is just hard to see that at the moment.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowlady View Post
I think it is hard for many of these girls that were top of their class, active in high school to face the cuts that they do (they feel so rejected) and end up dropping out, when there really is a place for them..It is just hard to see that at the moment.
Yes! Yes! Can't we put that in all the SEC recruitment literature?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Yes! Yes! Can't we put that in all the SEC recruitment literature?
You could, but those gals still will think they'll only take certain groups.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowlady View Post
"The Big Six" mentality is hurtful to pnm's keeping open minds for sure. I will say that one of my friends D went thru a couple of years ago. She was a great girl from a wonderful family. Unfortunately she did not go to Camp at any of the popular camps and unfortunately didn't know many girls in the houses. She is in a supposed "lower teir house" but she loves it and has a great bond with her sisters. I am very happy for her but I will say she had huge cuts going thru recruitment and it was a very emotional week for this girl. She kept an open mind and is truly enjoying greek life.

This is 100% true..and the problem at UT and many other schools is that EVERYONE is at the top of thier class, beautiful, involved..etc, etc. There are so many factors that many girls going through at UT just can't change..like camp affiliations and the high shcool they went to. I think that the tiers are becoming less and less at UT..there really isnt much of a difference between the chapters once rush week is over..and the shame is that the girls that drop out dont realize that until it is too late. They all have smart, beautiful, athletic, popular girls..and they all have mixers with fraternities and formals and date parties..some have better sisterhoods than others and there is definitly some smoke and mirrors going on during recruitment...but if one would simply just keep an open mind, she could probably be happy as a clam in just about every chapter at UT.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
Aaaand according to FB they're at 1943. They'll hit 2000 before the 10th, I'm sure.
the last number reported is now 1956 with 2 days left till the deadline (although that was posted on the 6th) so it may be more today!
Old 08-11-2012, 02:49 PM

Just talked to our chapter adviser at Arkansas. They start tomorrow with 1,485 PNMs and 8 chapters. She is expecting quota over 150. She thinks Phi Mu and Alpha Chi have created quite a buzz, especially with upperclassmen, but they expect very few PNMs to drop out of formal.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:31 PM

The University of Idaho is reporting a 14% increase in their pnm numbers.
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/hbo/2...tment-booming/

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 08-11-2012, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Univ. of Southern California

The number yesterday was just short of 700. Registration is still open.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

UT registration ends at 6:00 p.m. today. They are close to 1200 and may go over that..a record number and about 100 more than last year.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, which UT?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't see this thread earlier, but Iowa State was expecting more than 660 women to go through recruitment this year. Even 3-4 years ago they were lucky to get around 500. Quota could potentially be around 40 once everything is taken into consideration.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry Dubaisis....University of Texas