GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,462
0 members and 1,462 guests
No Members online

Old 06-27-2012, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Northern Ky. University info

After spending a week in Ky. with my sister I have convinced my neice she should go through recruitment. We looked at the greekelife site and I searched here but we have a few questions still.
1. Recs- I see absolutely no mention of recs on the greeklife site- are they important here? Or is this one of those schools that she will be fine without?
2. Houses- They mentioned bringing flipflops to wear as you walk between houses but they have not seen any houses on campus, maybe just overlooked them?
3. Cost- I know that it is a lot more than my sister nd I paid in the 70's-80's but I would think it would not be as expensive as the SEC schools I am used to now. Anyone able to give us an aproximate cost. Of course I know there are lots of extras not included in that.
4.- I advised her to get a white dress. Is that universial or just something that SEC schools do?
5.Any general insight into the greeklife there would be appreciated, how active and what percent of students join. Is this more of a commuter campus etc?
Thanks
Old 06-29-2012, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I am going to bump this one time just to see if anyone answers. If I don't get any answers I will just take it that this is not a chool with a very active greek life and that she will be fine without recs. Thanks ladies.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks ladies. I will pass this all along to my sister. Hopefully she will follow her big sisters advice.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah rush at NKU is not competitive. Recs can't hurt though. I ditto 33 about the white dress.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not 100% sure of the housing situation for all chapters but the KD chapter website says:
Quote:
Kappa Delta Eta Eta is pleased to announce the opening of our new floor this Fall Semester! We have 15 girls all living together in Callahan Residential Halls.
So they all might live in residential halls which would explain why there are no addresses or pictures of houses.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 07-01-2012, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

NKU Recruitment

Gosh those are some great questions. I used to advise a chapter on that campus, and thought I'd jump in and give you my thoughts:

1. Recs are not necessary and she will not be released if she doesn't have one, however if your niece is not from the northern Kentucky area (or does not know a lot of affiliated students) it is a good way to get her on their radar prior to recruitment. It will work to her advantage if they know of her ahead of time.

2. They do not have houses at NKU, but the walk between recruitment events in the student centers can be a couple of buildings away. Also because many PNM's have class on Friday, the chapters and PNM's dress comfortably for Friday evening events for those who are coming from class.

3. The initiation semester will be $400-500 and the semesters after that will be about $400.

4. She will need a white dress for pledging for most of the chapters. They do not hold the pledging ceremonies on bid day. Usually it is a day or two after.

5. The fraternities and sororities are about 8% of the undergraduate population. They are very active and visible on campus and are viewed as the campus leaders through all of the major organizations on campus. Being Greek at NKU is a great way to find your place and really engage on campus. Sororities range in size from about 70-110 and quota is predicted to be in the 40's. While it is predominantly a commuter campus, there are about 2,000 living on campus and many more who live in the surrounding neighborhood apartment complexes. It is a solid leadership building program at NKU. For the past few years almost all of the national organizations represented there have hired NKU grads to work on staff or as traveling consultants (both the men’s and women’s organizations) and several more have gone on to work in Student Affairs and Fraternity/Sorority advising. Big social events are held off campus and mixers usually take advantage of local attractions (i.e. Zoo, Red’s game, ice skating).

Hope that helps. With your strong knowledge of Greek life, I hope your sister chooses to go through recruitment. At a campus like NKU, it's a great way to connect with leadership and friendship opportunities early on in college.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much for the info, It is really helpful!!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:51 AM

As far as the white dress, many groups need one for initiation (if this is what you're going for, it should be ALL WHITE and modest in cut). Buy one now while you can get them but leave the tags on.