GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,061
2 members and 1,059 guests
FSUZeta, LaneSig

Old 07-07-2003, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Kappa Gamma Woman Dies in Chicago Porch Collapse

I thought you guys might want to know.

Duke University 2001 graduate Katherine (Katie) Sheriff died in the recent Chicago porch collapse. Katie, a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorrority, also served as the new member educator during her senior year at Duke. She graduated with a degree in political science and was working as director of marketing at a lumber company in Chicago.

According to Ingrid Sheriff (Duke '00) Katie's sister and also a member of KKG, a memorial fund has been set up in Katie's honor at her former high school. Kappa Kappa Gamma has announced a new scholarship in her honor as well.

Contributions may be sent to:

Katie Sheriff Fund
Mercyhurst Preparatory School
538 E. Grandview Blvd.
Erie, PA 16504.

Or

Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation
(behalf of Katie Sheriff)
P.O. Box 38
Columbus, Ohio
43216-0038

While I never met Katie (she graduated a year before I came to Duke), and we are/were involved in different sororities, the greek life at Duke definitely mourns one of their own.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
Wow, that's terrible to hear about. Thanks for telling us, though. I'm sure she'll be greatly missed by her family, friends, and sisters.

I think the creation of a scholarship in her name is one of the best possible ways to keep her memory alive and make some good come out of this tragedy!
Old 07-07-2003, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sherbertlemons
Wow, that's terrible to hear about. Thanks for telling us, though. I'm sure she'll be greatly missed by her family, friends, and sisters.

I think the creation of a scholarship in her name is one of the best possible ways to keep her memory alive and make some good come out of this tragedy!
Ditto, sherbertlemons. The whole incident was a tragedy--at least something positive will come out of it with the creation of the scholarship.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Very sad story Im sure she will be missed greatly,

Another indecent earlier in the same year,

As many as 50 people, most of them in their early 20s, were crammed onto the apartment's third-floor porch for a party when the floor dropped from under them, sending people and debris crashing to the ground.
Seven men and five women, many of them on the porches directly below, were killed.

-And another,

Northwest of Chicago, eight people were taken to the hospital after a deck on a second-floor apartment in Rockford collapsed Sunday night. Eleven people were on the deck when the deck gave way with a crack.

Apparently this is a problem in Chicago, hopefully all the proper precautions are taken to correct this and prevent more tragedies.

-Jen
Chicago Illinois
Old 01-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencan View Post
Very sad story Im sure she will be missed greatly,

Another indecent earlier in the same year,

As many as 50 people, most of them in their early 20s, were crammed onto the apartment's third-floor porch for a party when the floor dropped from under them, sending people and debris crashing to the ground.
Seven men and five women, many of them on the porches directly below, were killed.

-And another,

Northwest of Chicago, eight people were taken to the hospital after a deck on a second-floor apartment in Rockford collapsed Sunday night. Eleven people were on the deck when the deck gave way with a crack.

Apparently this is a problem in Chicago, hopefully all the proper precautions are taken to correct this and prevent more tragedies.

-Jen
Chicago Illinois
Hey Mensa, this thread is over 5 years old.

What you just said happened in an episode of ER...also set in Chicago! DUN DUN DUN!!!

Spizzam, much?
Old 05-04-2009, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post

What you just said happened in an episode of ER...also set in Chicago! DUN DUN DUN!!!

Spizzam, much?

Ya think????
LOL
Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post

Spizzam, much?
It was an "indecent." Not even an "incident." Awesome.