GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,801
0 members and 1,801 guests
No Members online

Old 07-13-2001, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Rush attire....

Hey everyone!

Ok...I'm not too sure if I should direct this question directly at UA girl, or if it's the same everywhere, but right now I'm trying to pick out my clothes for rush. UA has delayed rush, so it's not until Sept. 2, so I don't know whether to go with summerish colors or fall colors...I pretty much have a general idea of the kind of clothes needed. For my black dress for the final night, should I go with something simple and classy. Or should it be something unique, like to help express "me". I found a cute one at Dolce & Gabbanna, but it had fringe and stuff...didn't know if it was too much. I have Mikimoto pearls, so I have the jewelry covered...but the actual attire is confusing me....do any of you know any good websites to go to for designer clothes that might be appropriate for rush??
Any help or advice on the clothes would help soo much!! thank you guys!!

Old 07-13-2001, 06:55 PM
Unregistered-

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by TideGirl657:
I found a cute one at Dolce & Gabbanna, but it had fringe and stuff...didn't know if it was too much. I have Mikimoto pearls, so I have the jewelry covered...but the actual attire is confusing me....do any of you know any good websites to go to for designer clothes that might be appropriate for rush??
Any help or advice on the clothes would help soo much!! thank you guys!!

Forgive me if this sounds rude, but I just wanted to remind others that designer clothing is not mandatory for Fall Recruitment. Looking good is a must, but one can do that without the designer and brand name clothes.

Again, I can't speak of how Fall Recruitment is conducted at UA, but I just wanted to clear things up for prospectives who start freaking out. I was that way during Rush (as it was called then), but I learned that everyone has their personal style...and if their style called for extra $$$, then great...but the girls who didn't invest in as much $$$ on clothes were just as successful.

Good luck with Fall Recruitment (typing Rush is much easier!).

------------------
A single seed...becomes a Rose of incredible beauty.

A single grain of sand...becomes a Pearl of great worth.

A single great idea...becomes a Century of success.

Go Alpha Gam!
Old 07-13-2001, 08:35 PM

I think that when you are choosing your black dress for final parties, you should definitely stick with something classic and elegant. Think Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's if you are familiar with that film? Pick something that, when you look at the pictures of you 20 years from now, you won't be like "Eww, WHAT was I thinking???"

Good luck in Rush and have fun! (I'm sorry, I refuse to call it recruitment!!!)

------------------
@~Tracy~@

By the light of the lamp, by the light of the lamp, by the bright shiny light, by the light of the lamp...if you are a DeeZee, you're the best that you can be, by the bright shiny light of the lamp!
Old 07-13-2001, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HeidiHo
I'd say express yourself in a formal way. We were told to wear something appropriate for an evening wedding. My dress was black knee-length & sleeveless, with black sequins spaced out near the waist and they got less spaced as they went to the bottom. It wasn't flashy at all, but it made it a little different from a plain black dress. I could undoubtedly (sp?) wear it again to a nicer diner. I had two, and decided the day of which I would wear. They were Byer Too and Rampage if that helps any. I got both of them a department store. Just like everything, find a happy medium. Not too out there, not too boring. Have fun
Heidi

Old 07-14-2001, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Hey Tidegirl!
I'll be rushing at UA this fall too! About the summer/fall colors, I wasn't sure what to do about that one either, but I went ahead and got summer colors (except for my Serious night dress, which is black). I really think either one would be ok and I bet that you'll see a little bit of everything!
Old 07-15-2001, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Check out bluefly.com, they have lots of designer stuff. Some of it is kind of out there, but they do have lots of more classic stuff like Nicole Miller. Plus, it's all discounted!
Old 07-15-2001, 12:57 AM

Cool

Heidi is right! Express yourself, in a way that fits. You can buy the standard black sheath that everyone and their sister has and you will be appropriately dressed, but you won't make much of an impression.

If it has subtle fringe, not like bad cowboy shirt fringe, and you feel comfy and look nice in it, that sounds great. That shows you know what you look good in and didn't just check off the clothes on a check list.
Old 07-15-2001, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you should wear something you like. Personally I feel comfortable in black but I also know that the chapters often wear black and you stand out more in a different dress in a sea of black.

Old 07-15-2001, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I was lucky because my school provided us with pictures of what to wear for each day, right down to the shoes...It really helped cause I did not know what to expect...I think the simple black sheath is great...that's what most of the sisters will be wearing ...if you would like to stand out a little more try to throw in the colors of the sorority you are thinking about preffing the last day..throw in a silk scarf or a black dress with some colored flowers...I have seen girls wear grey suits with teal tanks underneath and a black and teal scarf for ZTA or black with pink flowers for Phi Mu...I know I would totally notice a girl that added some red into her wardrobe for the week of rush ...I am an AOII of course...you can be traditional and still express yourself and be noticed...but just be careful for you never know if one person just makes a big deal about fringe or something...I would not do it..but you never know who is on the other side...best of luck..AOII Georgia Southern

------------------
IF I PAID FOR MY FRIENDS, I DID NOT PAY ENOUGH
Old 07-16-2001, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine:
Forgive me if this sounds rude, but I just wanted to remind others that designer clothing is not mandatory for Fall Recruitment. Looking good is a must, but one can do that without the designer and brand name clothes.

No, designer clothing is not mandatory. I think everyone realizes that. What most people often realize, especially in the South, is that those things are often considered. I have acquaintances in chapters of various sororities in the South who do take note of that sort of thing--taking note of designer clothing, jewelry (whether pearls are real or fake), and whatnot. This, from what I know, is not an anomaly. I'm not saying that this is right (because it's not), but it's something that most Southern women are aware of when going through Recruitment.
Old 07-16-2001, 09:58 AM
Wine&Blue

Quote:
Originally posted by TideGirl657:
Hey everyone!

I pretty much have a general idea of the kind of clothes needed. For my black dress for the final night, should I go with something simple and classy. Or should it be something unique, like to help express "me". I found a cute one at Dolce & Gabbanna, but it had fringe and stuff...didn't know if it was too much. I have Mikimoto pearls, so I have the jewelry covered...but the actual attire is confusing me....do any of you know any good websites to go to for designer clothes that might be appropriate for rush

Pardon me if this sounds rude, but I'm honestly just trying to help. If you are spending a lot of effort to find designer clothes, you are wasting both your time and money. First of all, VERY FEW people in Tuscaloosa wear Dolce and Gabana. Secondly, I doubt highly that anyone is going to notice that you are wearing Mikimoto pearls during a ten minute party unless you tell them. And if you had gone on to me about all the designer duds you were wearing, you would be dropped that night. Sorority girls at Alabama are stereotyped as a bunch of rich daddy's girl debs, but that is 95% not the case. These girls are going to see straight through you if you walk in like you just got back from fashion week in New York. And trust me, there is NOWHERE to buy D&G in that town. My advice is to stay simple and comfortable. When I went through, I got all of my outfits from shops in Tuscaloosa. Also remember that in Tuscaloosa in September it is still brutally hot, so make sure you dress for the weather. Obviously you want to avoid all the "after labor day" fashion rules, but other than that, buy sensible clothing for rush, and save your money for going out after bid day.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

i can't say for sure how it works in all chapters or at all colleges, but once you've made it to a house's pref night party, they've already decided where you are on their bid list. my house does not vote at all after the pref night parties. spots on the list are assigned before rushees even walk through the door on pref night. the purpose of that night is to make them choose us... if we didn't already want them, they wouldn't be invited back to that round. so still dress to impress, but don't think that your outfit will make a world of difference because by that point in rush, it won't. if i were you, i'd buy a black dress that's not so trendy that you won't ever want to wear it again. if you make it to pref night, you have already made yourself stand out to those girls. it's your chance to relax and let THEM try to impress YOU.
Old 07-16-2001, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Worriedsenior,

I don't recall seeing multiple outfits on PNM but with several hundred going through, it's hard to keep track sometimes. In all honesty, you probably already have something appropriate in your closet. Always look there first! However, if you feel the urge to go out and buy something, buy clothing that you KNOW you will wear again. Don't forget you can always borrow clothing from your friends. My biggest piece of advice is to avoid hemlines that tell the world, "Hello," when you sit down. Examples of classic styling are Carriages Fine Clothiers (in Baton Rouge), Talbot's - www.talbots.com, and Ann Taylor - www.anntaylor.com. (Fun trivia - the head designer for Ann Taylor is a man from Baton Rouge!) If these don't exactly fit your budget, look for similar styles at places like Steinmart.

You probably have some cute little boutiques in your hometown. Where's do you live? You can e-mail me if you like.

Quote:
Originally posted by worriedsenior:
My biggest concern is I'll have something on that somebody else is wearing! I'm going to avoid the usual suspects, but have NO IDEA where to shop. Has anyone seen that happen during rush?
Old 07-16-2001, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

worriedsenior,

Where are you attending school?
Old 07-16-2001, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

LSU, and very excited too!