GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,321
2 members and 2,319 guests
Xidelt

Old 03-10-2008, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
And what if 25 members refuse to live in the house and they have empty beds? What happens if we have a recession and enrollments drop, and new member class numbers drop?
I just don't understand why chapters are building these huge houses that have to be supported with lots and lots of new members every year. There are ALWAYS going to be years of lower quotas. But those mortgage payments never drop, nor do the costs of heating, cooling and maintaining the place.
With off-campus housing the norm now, I really thought the future of fraternity housing would be lodges - housing for a limited number of students, with plenty of room for meetings and storage, with those areas supported by "parlor" fees from non-resident members.
Guess I was wrong.
Actually, more and more schools are requiring that freshman live on campus. So the transition to living in a fraternity or sorority house is not that difficult. It's more problematic where they don't start out living on campus.
And of course, the housing has to meet the standard that other campus housing does. We are seeing lots of Greek housing complexes with houses that sleep only 20-40 members and the chapters have over 100 members. See Southern Miss, South Florida, etc.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-10-2008, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
It is a MONSTER.

Installation in 2007

http://dailyheadlines.uark.edu/9019.htm

* "The property is located on the corner of Whitham and Maple streets in Fayetteville. The lot is located across the street from the Inn at Carnall Hall and is in between the Kappa Kappa Gamma and Sigma Chi houses."

* "The 30,000-square-foot house will sleep 85 women and cost $4 to $5 million."
Rumor was they're putting tanning beds and workout equipment in it. Don't know the truth on that.

It's got a great location, kind of at the edge of campus but on Sorority Row. It's going to be a great house once built. As I'm told, the AOPi headquarters knew that they had to do well in the SEC, and to do well they had to kick in alot of money for a big house. It's impressive.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 03-10-2008, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Having a gym/workout room setup would be very pimp.

A tanning bed would be overkill.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

The tanning bed could be great depending on how pale the pledge class is.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Here something from the other side of the pond:

Walhalla Wuerzburg (Germany)

The house was build by alumni between 1904-1907. Property is completely owned by the fraternity (no university or "whatsoever" involvement).

Front (by day):

Front (by night):
Old 04-13-2008, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

That's beautiful.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

The Gamma Phi Beta house at Southern Cal! There used to be a frat house next door (on the left in this photo) and my bedroom overlooked it...back in the day, a lot of us sisters would gather and peek into the frat house livingroom when they had strippers!!!!!!!!

The frat house is gone now and we own the lot - there is a courtyard and parking lot and a great big front yard!

Last edited by GPhiBLtColonel; 04-13-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is our chapter house at UGA
Old 04-13-2008, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Mu at Wake Forest
At wake (most) greeks have halls/lounges in different resident halls.
We have our own building that only Phi Mus live in but its owned by the univeristy. Nothing special but its our home. The picture of the outside isn't the best and I will take a picture of the side where our letters are.

outside

part of our lounge, we repainted since this picture was take and the walls are not that ugly pale yellow color.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bellwisdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
And what if 25 members refuse to live in the house and they have empty beds? What happens if we have a recession and enrollments drop, and new member class numbers drop?
I just don't understand why chapters are building these huge houses that have to be supported with lots and lots of new members every year. There are ALWAYS going to be years of lower quotas. But those mortgage payments never drop, nor do the costs of heating, cooling and maintaining the place.
With off-campus housing the norm now, I really thought the future of fraternity housing would be lodges - housing for a limited number of students, with plenty of room for meetings and storage, with those areas supported by "parlor" fees from non-resident members.
Guess I was wrong.
I completely agree with you 100% Bigger isn't always better. The ATO and FarmHouse chapters at my school have the smallest houses and always have the biggest pledge classes, so I don't think that a chapter HAS to have the huges houses in order to be a successful chapter. Huge houses make the chapter focus more on quantity over quality and that infuriates me so much. I see so many pretty, big, and fancy houses with a bunch of men/women who lack brotherhood/sisterhood because the physical house is more important to them then the people in the Chapter. I also say this because I know/see a lot of the non-housed greeks on campus and at events and they seem so much tighter because the last thing they have to worry about is filling some huge house and all of the finances that go with it. Just my $18.55.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

More Gamma Phi houses:

Univ of Oregon

Univ of North Dakota

Univ of Wisconsin Oshkosh

Washington State Univ

Univ of Idaho

Univ of Nebraska Lincoln

Univ of Illinois

Rutgers
Old 04-13-2008, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I've always loved the University of Oregon house.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
U. of Tex people, anyone know if this is ever going to get built?

From what I hear (this is direct from a Phi Psi active at UT), not anytime soon.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Pretty house. Do you have any pictures of the Alpha Gam house at U of A? I have a hard time finding one on their site.
sorry that this took me FOREVER to accomplish, but here is a picture:

it's like 2 years old now? the inside of the house is beautiful
Old 04-27-2008, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't feel like going through 74 pages to see if it'd been posted yet, so here is my house at FSU!