GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,085
0 members and 1,085 guests
No Members online

Old 07-07-2020, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
I have a cousin who joined AXiD in part *because* of their affiliation with AS. Her sister is severely autistic.

Am I mistaken in the impression those opposing AS do so because it doesn't do enough for individuals? Instead focusing on research? Is that a bad thing? It may not be what some want, but I don't see it as a bad thing.

What am I missing?

A few posts above, SWTXBelle posted a link to a website which describes some of the issues people have with the organization.

True and Constant
Old 07-07-2020, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Autism Speaks...

Arguably, the *original* Autism Speaks founding setup by Bob and Susan Wright wasn't nearly as offensive.

However, the mergers with National Alliance for Autism Research and (even more so Cure Autism Now) have taken an organization that had a general concept of helping those with Autism to one devoted to finding a cure including a pre-natal test (allowing for selective abortions). The organization views Autism as only those with severe impact (such as those who are non-verbal, seizures etc.)), those whose additional care will in their advertising lead to such severe impact on the family that things like divorces will be caused.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contro...cy_initiatives is a decent start on the difference between the Pathology paradigm and the Neurodiversity paradigm.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
A few posts above, SWTXBelle posted a link to a website which describes some of the issues people have with the organization.
Yeah, that's the post that caused my question. The first three points are simply "they don't do enough for individuals". The fourth is their marketing, which *in this woman's opinion* is disgusting. I've not seen it, and realize this is only one person.

No biggie; I was just curious. Just trying to understand.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, that's the post that caused my question. The first three points are simply "they don't do enough for individuals". The fourth is their marketing, which *in this woman's opinion* is disgusting. I've not seen it, and realize this is only one person.

I think you've missed some of her finer points. I'll try to help you understand.

- Spending 4% of the budget on family grants vs. 22% on fundraising - one metric to evaluate charities is the percentage spent on fundraising and administrative costs. It's why I don't give to the Red Cross and Good Will. YMMV, of course, but it's more than just "they don't do enough".

- One other big issue is more than not doing enough for individuals - it is the lack of those with autism in the organization. The irony behind the name "Autism Speaks" is that they haven't allowed the very people they are seeking to serve to speak. They did have someone, who quit the board, and she notes that they have finally added some people with autism, no doubt in direct response to the criticism, which I have been familiar with for a number of years.

- Did you watch the videos? As a person with autism, and the mother of a child with autism, her opinion carries more weight than Joe Blow off the street, at least to me. The examples she cites are certainly disgusting to me. Featuring a woman who wanted to kill herself and her child with autism, but doesn't because she has a neurotypical child? How is that advancing the needs of those with autism?

There are other charities whose focus is autism, and which I and many wish A Xi D would consider supporting. I like https://autisticadvocacy.org/
Old 07-07-2020, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

In addition to what SWTXBelle said above, Charity Navigator (charitynavigator.org) and GuideStar (guidestar.org) are two free resources for research into nonprofits, and the former provides an overall rating for each nonprofit based mainly on finances and accountability/transparency.

Historically, Autism Speaks certainly doesn't rank high when compared to other autism nonprofits. And the number of people they serve seems relatively low considering their revenue, name recognition, and advertised outreach. Also, it looks like the President is making more than $600,000/year.

I would like to point out, too, in regard to the fundraising and operational budgets of nonprofits: just like with for-profits, it's about balance. If a fundraising budget is higher, the expectation would be that funds raised and used for those in need are higher. A fundraising budget of 22% isn't necessarily too high and can be justified if enough money is being raised from those expenses and being used as advertised.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 07-07-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Oh ok, since you didn't mention having questions about the content of the link, I thought you perhaps didn't see it.

My understanding of the controversy is simply this: autistic people vs. people with autism. Some people object to Autism Speaks for being an organization which seems to take the stance that autism is a disease which needs to be cured. As in, autistic people are seen as "defective" and a cure for these defects needs to be found. Instead, others prefer to take the approach of helping "people with autism". The distinction here is that people with autism are different, not defective, and deserve to have support just as they are.

I hope this helps.

True and Constant
Old 07-21-2020, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never met a parent of an autistic child who didn't wish there was something to help. My nephew is autistic. Highly intelligent (extremely, but I'm his aunt so I'm partial), but needs resources. Alpha Xi does not view it as a disease. AS seeks to research and help those who are on the spectrum. Sorry, I'm close to this issue. He is important to me and as an AXiD, it makes me even more passionate about AS. And these sisters are leaving over an imagined slight.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
I've never met a parent of an autistic child who didn't wish there was something to help. My nephew is autistic. Highly intelligent (extremely, but I'm his aunt so I'm partial), but needs resources. Alpha Xi does not view it as a disease. AS seeks to research and help those who are on the spectrum. Sorry, I'm close to this issue. He is important to me and as an AXiD, it makes me even more passionate about AS. And these sisters are leaving over an imagined slight.
Whether or not Alpha Xi Delta views it as a disease, the issue is whether AS does...

Help yes. And that's 4% of what they do. Far more goes into making sure that more autistic people aren't born and that they are "cured".

http://www.rootpolicy.com/wp-content...lor_2017-1.pdf

And although the thread has turned to the discussion of AS, it has been pointed out that that hasn't been shown to be the reason that they are leaving.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Video on Autism Speaks -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Va_XXoD5LE
Old 08-14-2020, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this has nothing to do with the thread, but we got off on a tangent about autism, and I'm only here to say that everyone should watch the documentary 'The Speed Cubers' on Netflix.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-27-2020, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
They should drop out of school because it allows Greek life to exist.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 08-27-2020, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
I will admit that I am struggling to see their reasoning. If the organisation in which they are member does not meet their needs, then they most certainly should drop their membership in that organisation. I do not understand the mindset that says if an organisation is not meeting their needs, then that organisation should be destroyed. I know that cancel culture is the current trend, but the sense of entitlement that these women seem to have is mind-boggling. I just do not understand the mindset that says "destroy anything that I do not 100% approve of."
Old 08-27-2020, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsparky View Post
I will admit that I am struggling to see their reasoning. If the organisation in which they are member does not meet their needs, then they most certainly should drop their membership in that organisation. I do not understand the mindset that says if an organisation is not meeting their needs, then that organisation should be destroyed. I know that cancel culture is the current trend, but the sense of entitlement that these women seem to have is mind-boggling. I just do not understand the mindset that says "destroy anything that I do not 100% approve of."
Leadership, sad; upbringing, lack.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsparky View Post
AMEN!!!!!
Old 08-27-2020, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInKC View Post
They should drop out of school because it allows Greek life to exist.
“Like” this post!