GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,133
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodapolarisnupe

Old 07-03-2020, 05:20 AM

Just from sticking my nose in grankreek, it seems some of this has to do with A Xi D’s association with Autism Speaks, which is a controversial organization.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

I saw that too.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Just from sticking my nose in grankreek, it seems some of this has to do with A Xi D’s association with Autism Speaks, which is a controversial organization.
Why is Autism Speaks controversial ? I have only heard about how what a great organization it is.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

There is a Forbes magazine editorial that might shed some light on that for you. Google "Autism Speaks".
Old 07-03-2020, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
There is a Forbes magazine editorial that might shed some light on that for you. Google "Autism Speaks".
I was only able to find an opinion piece written 6 years ago and it definitely doesn't warrant their statement or actions. Their Instagram is truly a disaster right now and their treatment of Alpha Xi Delta as a whole is appalling.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Here - Reasons the organization is problematic:

https://autisticmama.com/do-not-support-autism-speaks/
Old 07-04-2020, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Thanks for sleuthing! I've heard about the controversies associated with Autism Speaks and I feel like the fact that this organization is controversial is well-known among people I know. It came up in the press again within the last few weeks.

I don't think I could join a sorority if I had an issue with their philanthropy. I can't imagine trying to support a philanthropy if I disagreed with their mission. But I also think that the most responsible thing is to research philanthropies as you're going through the recruitment process. It's public knowledge and supporting philanthropy is an important part of the sorority experience.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
let us out and let us disband as a chapter. This does not mean bringing nationals and starting up Axid again at AU. We demand for membership to be suspended ASAP and for this organization to no longer be part of the AU community. It’s really really simple - we as individuals no longer support this organization or feel proud to wear the letters. Please just let us disband. Thank you.

Someone who appears to be a current member of the chapter posted the above on that Instagram account.

They are welcome to resign their membership; but, I don't think they have the right to tell National AXiD if they can or cannot keep the chapter charter and then recolonize with new members.

True and Constant
Old 07-05-2020, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I also saw that someone commented this:

Quote:
if we cannot fundamentally change processes like recruitment, choosing eboard, choosing honor board, and the way chapter is set up, there is no way, in good conscience we can stay. I truly hope you read what we sent
I do believe that there is room for improvement in every organization. Ultimatums don't usually tend to be effective from what I have seen. At the same time, there are some hills I would choose to metaphorically die on. One of those would be discrimination. I think the sororities that disaffiliated over the whites-only clauses in the 50s/60s were heroic.

Not entirely sure what the situation is here. It seems muddled and I'm sure we won't know the full scope of what is going on.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Someone who appears to be a current member of the chapter posted the above on that Instagram account.

They are welcome to resign their membership; but, I don't think they have the right to tell National AXiD if they can or cannot keep the chapter charter and then recolonize with new members.
It’s a fairly new chapter there (they just chartered in 2014. This would also mean AS has always been their philanthropy as A Xi D partnered with them in 2009). This isn’t a slam on A Xi D, but it sounds like these women don’t have a concept of how a national sorority works. If you want to be in a local, start a local. If AU thinks the org is so awful, they’ll derecognize them.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

God how clueless. If you resign your membership, part of that is relinquishing your control on what the organization continues to do going forward. These kids are so entitled sounding. I hope AXiD just closes this dumpster fire down and comes back in 4-5 years and recolonizes when this thing is distant memory.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-05-2020, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay...now they’re taking it too far...

It’s okay to decide that for you, personally, your organization no longer serves your needs, or that you want to deactivate because of whatever reason...

But why try to stop other women from joining? It might be something that benefits them. They don’t have the right to say, “we don’t want to be AXDs, so no one else can join.”
Old 07-06-2020, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

My wife and I are on the Autism Spectrum. Autism Speaks *at best* represents *parents/grandparents* of those who are *severely* impacted by autism rather than including any participation of those not as severely impacted.

I think that Alpha Xi Delta's work with Autism *can* change, but right now I definitely understand why it could be viewed as problematic. But I'd be *very* surprised if that was the entire reason for disaffiliating.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I think that Alpha Xi Delta's work with Autism *can* change, but right now I definitely understand why it could be viewed as problematic. But I'd be *very* surprised if that was the entire reason for disaffiliating.

Well, admittedly we got off topic a little bit by talking about the sorority's support of the Autsim Speaks organization. The chapter's public statement (see the screen shots in the first post) indicates that their issue is with AXiD allegedly not being inclusive enough or doing enough to improve issues surrounding "...racism, sexual violence, classism, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, and ableism." They also stated that they believe this is a wider Greek life problem and called on other GLO chapters to take the same action to close their chapters at AU.

For what it's worth, I liked it when AXiD's philanthropy was "Choose Children". I believe that was a broad category and not a specific organization, right? That format seemed to allow chapters to support children's charities in their local areas without being tied to a specific charity. In this way, the women could meet the direct needs of whatever local charity truly needed the help (say a local children's shelter, or a local children's cancer clinic, etc).

Then AXiD switched to a focus on Autism Speaks. Back then, autism was coming to the forefront of discussions nationally and I think AXiD saw an opportunity to focus philanthropic efforts on an area that needed support. At the time, don't recall there being any controversy surrounding Autism Speaks. It was a very well-regarded organization. Over the years, it appears that the focus of AS shifted, or definitions/viewpoints on the nature of autism shifted, and people began to take sides. Autism Speaks stayed on one side of the issue and a controversy developed with people on the other side of the aisle.

All that to say that I don't think AXiD intended to pick a controversial philanthropy. I believe autism was initially chosen as a philanthropic focus in good faith. Now, whether or not AXiD should disaffiliate from Autism Speaks, much like when ZTA stepped away from Susan G. Komen, is up to AXiD and her members. If they go back to "Choose Children", then members are still free to support autism (or after school programs, or anti-bullying, etc) without being tied to one controversial organization.

At any rate, it sounds like the AU chapter was probably trying to push, or speak on, social justice topics without the consent of the national headquarters. I commend those young women for being passionate about their beliefs and their courage to resign their memberships in the face of policies they say they disagree with. I do not, however, agree with their demand that the national organization and other interested students shall not be allowed the right to free association.

True and Constant
Old 07-07-2020, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Then AXiD switched to a focus on Autism Speaks. Back then, autism was coming to the forefront of discussions nationally and I think AXiD saw an opportunity to focus philanthropic efforts on an area that needed support. At the time, don't recall there being any controversy surrounding Autism Speaks. It was a very well-regarded organization. Over the years, it appears that the focus of AS shifted, or definitions/viewpoints on the nature of autism shifted, and people began to take sides. Autism Speaks stayed on one side of the issue and a controversy developed with people on the other side of the aisle.
I have a cousin who joined AXiD in part *because* of their affiliation with AS. Her sister is severely autistic.

Am I mistaken in the impression those opposing AS do so because it doesn't do enough for individuals? Instead focusing on research? Is that a bad thing? It may not be what some want, but I don't see it as a bad thing.

What am I missing?