GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,367
3 members and 2,364 guests
chi-o_cat, Phrozen Sands

Old 04-12-2004, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Negative PR from the AP

This story is going around the AP wire--link is to Fox News.
Just info, not judgement. Given how the media likes to play up Greek problems, I have a shaker full of salt at the ready.

COLUMBIA, Mo. — Members of a sorority were urged to lie about their health to qualify as donors in a competitive blood drive at the University of Missouri-Columbia (search), a school that once set a world record for blood collection.

In an e-mail sent last Tuesday to about 170 members of Gamma Phi Beta (search), Christie Key, the chapter's blood donation coordinator, wrote: "I dont care if you got a tattoo last week LIE. I dont care if you have a cold. Suck it up. We all do. LIE. Recent peircings? LIE."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,116891,00.html

-add
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-12-2004, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

This reminds me of that episode of King of the Hill where Peggy and Kahn's wife (Minh? Can't remember her name) got into the war over who would get the mug first for donating so many pints of blood.

Come on people - we should all know by now not to put stuff in writing!!!
Old 04-15-2004, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXiD670
Come on people - we should all know by now not to put stuff in writing!!!
you see, this is in part why negative greek stereotypes exist;
what you're saying is that lying and cover ups are crucial aspects of such organizations, that's why it's important to NOT put anything in writing, hence, no solid evidence of wrongdoing.
that way, when questioned, no one knows anything, no one did anything wrong, no one's to blame. right?
Old 04-15-2004, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by concerned451
what you're saying is that lying and cover ups are crucial aspects of such organizations, that's why it's important to NOT put anything in writing, hence, no solid evidence of wrongdoing.
that way, when questioned, no one knows anything, no one did anything wrong, no one's to blame. right?
No, what I'm saying is had the email not been "in writing," there wouldn't have been all this bad press about it. I'm not saying anything about lying or covering anything up...
Old 04-15-2004, 10:01 AM

Stonewalling or not telling the truth to the media, the university or your nationals is the worst possible thing to do.

Sooner or later, you're gonna get caught.

Right, Mr. Nixon?
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

You need to be careful what you put in wiriting, in case your message is misinterpreted by those who read it out of context. However, there is little room for misinterpretation of this email. The email is encouraging members of a GLO to act unethically, perhaps even illegally, so that the GLO can win a contest. This is not consistent with any of our ideals. Shameful.

You may want to criticize the media for starting a firestorm here, but remember who handed them the gasoline and the match.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXiD670
No, what I'm saying is had the email not been "in writing," there wouldn't have been all this bad press about it. I'm not saying anything about lying or covering anything up...
ok, that makes no sense. you're saying not to put anything incriminating, given the substance of this incident, in writing because_____then someone can find out about it, right?
where as, had there been no email involved, everyone who is lying could've easily stuck to their "version" of what "really" happened. the only reason there's media coverage, or "bad" press, as you put it, is because there was a wrong committed, and everyone was INSTRUCTED to lie about it. why is media coverage deemed "bad" if it exposes deception or abuse, especially given the fact that in this case, you're dealing with potential health risks that could effect numerous people?
Old 04-15-2004, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

When did I say not to write anything incriminating? And when did I say anyone was instructed to lie about anything? And finally, I never said that media coverage is "bad" because it exposes deception.

I'm saying there's bad press (heck, press period) about it BECAUSE there was an email. How else would they have found out this sorority was so gung-ho about giving blood? I'm sure some of the other groups on that campus said similar things to their members...they just didn't put it in writing. And, if by chance they did, they didn't get caught (because we haven't heard about it).

Yes - a wrong was committed. There wouldn't have been any press, good or bad, had no one found out what the girl said. And how would they have found out what she said if it wasn't in an email sent to the wrong person?

If you'll read the other thread on this topic, you'll see that I find what this girl did appalling. You'll also see that I think that having a contest over who can donate the most pints of blood is a bad idea.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Um... yeah the press can't catch hold of rumors, but she's joking too. Sarcasm is hard to catch over the internet.
Concerned, you are just a tad too ready to jump and accuse the greek community of underhandedness. She clearly doesn't support this girls actions, but you assume that she does. What's up?

Last edited by XOMichelle; 04-15-2004 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcellpe
You may want to criticize the media for starting a firestorm here, but remember who handed them the gasoline and the match.
Which is exactly right. It is way to easy and too much of a cop out to continuously blame news media for "bad press." For the most part, when any entity gets dragged into the news, it's because they've done something to deserve it. Few people, reporters included, look for fire if they don't see smoke beforhand.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
Which is exactly right. It is way to easy and too much of a cop out to continuously blame news media for "bad press." For the most part, when any entity gets dragged into the news, it's because they've done something to deserve it. Few people, reporters included, look for fire if they don't see smoke beforhand.
I completely agree with these statements - that's why I said my first comment about people not putting things in writing. Not to be sneaky or underhanded, but it's called DISCRETION. You never know how someone is going to interpret your words.

ETA: Yay for my 400th post!
Old 04-15-2004, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

i'm just feeling things out, and i may have perceived what you wrote incorrectly since i obviously don't know your intent, however, it seems to me that you're merely attempting to back pedal out of a statement that you must admit sounds indicative of encouraging people to avoid exposure. am i wrong?
you're the one who wrote "bad press", so yes, you tagged the media coverage as "bad", but then you go on to say that you DON"T believe the media coverage to be bad. given the nature of this incident that involves deception and blatant irresponsibility, i read your statement "come on people, we should all know by now not to put anything in writing" as more or less a blanket statement regarding how to handle or "get around" matters. maybe i'm reading things too literally, however, people think in language, and i happen to believe that language ultimately gives people away everytime, despite any Orwellian "doublspeak" (i.e. DISCRETION)soft language that only exists to cover and obsfucate truth. it's rampant everywhere in this culture, not just the greek system. i'm willing to bet that the girl who did write that email is denying doing anything wrong at all, and if there had been no email and the encouragement of lying was done only word of mouth, if someone was tipped off about it, most people would deny there being any truth to the "rumor" - so that's why i read your comment about not putting anything in writing the way i did.

Last edited by concerned451; 04-15-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
i'm just feeling things out, and i may have perceived what you wrote incorrectly since i obviously don't know your intent, however, it seems to me that you're merely attempting to back pedal out of a statement that you must admit sounds indicative of encouraging people to avoid exposure. am i wrong?
you're the one who wrote "bad press", so yes, you tagged the media coverage as "bad", but then you go on to say that you DON"T believe the media coverage to be bad. given the nature of this incident that involves deception and blatant irresponsibility, i read your statement "come on people, we should all know by now not to put anything in writing" as more or less a blanket statement regarding how to handle or "get around" matters. maybe i'm reading things too literally, however, people think in language, and i happen to believe that language ultimately gives people away everytime, despite any Orwellian "doublspeak" (i.e. DISCRETION)soft language that only exists to cover and obsfucate truth. it's rampant everywhere in this culture, not just the greek system. i'm willing to bet that the girl who did write that email is denying doing anything wrong at all, and if there had been no email and the encouragement of lying was done only word of mouth, if someone was tipped off about it, most people would deny there being any truth to the "rumor" - so that's why i read your comment about not putting anything in writing the way i did.
Um, I'm not trying to backpedal out of anything. I didn't imply that people should always cover up mistakes or avoid exposure, and if I did, I'm sorry you took it that way. See the little winking smiley-face next to the statement? That means that my statement was made in less-than-literal tone.

As for me saying the media coverage is bad then saying it's not bad, again, I didn't do that. I think you're interpreting my words wrong. I do think that the media coverage is "bad press" for this girl and her sorority - she made a HUGE mistake and now her sorority has been cast in a negative light. I think it's bad press because now there's a chance that even just one person who reads the story will get a negative image of Greeks and Greek life. However, I think it's good coverage for the Red Cross because now people know that, "Hey, if I got a tattoo 8 months ago, I shouldn't give blood." It's also good because now fellow Greeks see that, "Hey, making a competition out of donating blood might not be such a bright idea. Let's just collect can tabs or clothes next year. Or, instead of forcing our members to donate blood which could lead to deception, let's just sponsor a blood drive in the spirit of philanthropy and human goodness and not in the spirit of competition."

Personally, I think that yes, the girl was wrong, but she was just being over-zealous. I wouldn't donate if I were sick or in a high-risk group or whatever, because I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that pint of blood. However, I think she learned her lesson (as did her sisters), and "punishing" them by taking away the points for what they already earned (I think that's what someone mentioned happened) is not what's called for in this situation. I think a formal apology to the Red Cross (and all those involved) is in order, as well as hosting a blood drive later in the year independent of Greek Week, or something to that effect. Possibly a program to educate fellow Greeks and university students about risks associated with donating blood when you really shouldn't be doing so.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

guess i read ya wrong. i took the "wink" as meaning something else altogether. btw, i spelled obfuscate wrong - don't like it when i go out on a limb with a five dollar word and then botch it
Old 04-15-2004, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Did this member screw up? Yes

How did the media get ahold of it?

If she did screw up being over zealous, then all of a sudden, The GPB Chapter looks like crap! And All of the Sisters of GPB The local Chapter and the National are thrown into the lime light so to speak! Being a Greek, Well, it hits the newswire, bar the damn door, the wolves are at bay!

Now, the School, U. Mo. is calling for her head! Expullsion, booted, gone, Adious Baby, then GPB, Nationional gets involved figuring the same thing, lets expull her. How will this affect the intire Chapter. How does this effect this Girl?

Does anyone know the difference between expullsion and and being expelled?

Big difference.

Question, did anyone hear of the good work that all of the Greek Organizations did for Blood Drives in the previous years????

Not only NO, But Hell No! Find something to put on National TV, and is head line news!C

Go figure!

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 04-17-2004 at 03:05 PM.