GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,449
0 members and 2,449 guests
No Members online

Old 03-05-2005, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Positive article about Greek Life at Queens College

Comprehensive article about the benefits of greek life at Queens College, includes lots of pictures. I am curious to know if this is done every year and if they see an increased interest in greek life because of this publicity?

Full article: http://www.qcknightnews.com/news/200...1-885274.shtml

Excerpt:
You've seen the movies. You know what they are. Or do you? From National Lampoon's Animal House to Old School to Legally Blonde, fraternities and sororities have been making people laugh on the big screen for years.

Here at Queens College, there are two fraternities and three sororities. The fraternities are Tau Epsilon Phi and Gamma Omega Delta. The sororities are Sigma Delta Tau, Delta Phi Epsilon and Phi Sigma Sigma. But there are no frat houses, no toga parties, none of the things typically associated with fraternities and sororities. What's the point, then? What does it mean to be part of a Greek letter organization at Queens College?

Postscript: If you are interested in pursuing membership in any of the organizations mentioned in this article, please leave your name and number in the mailboxes of Greek letter organizations in Student Life, room 320 of the Student Union. Plus, keep your eyes open - flyers are posted as each organization schedules its events.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-05-2005, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

TxAPhi,

thanks for posting this article!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess, it just goes to show that College, Locals, and Nationals can work together.

A Nice article for a change A+++s.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-05-2005, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Good article. I actually know a lot of the QC's DPhiE alumnae, as well as some of the TEP's and they are a really awesome group of people.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

very nice change...
congrats to them
Old 10-01-2008, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm about three years too late, but I came across this post in google and wanted to reply in case someone's still reading this!

I'm a Greek at Queens College and I just wanted to let you all know that we work really hard to get as many members out and around campus as possible. That includes the school paper (in addition to student government executive board and "senate" positions!). One of my sisters was on the school paper all four years she was active - and really made a point to put a good name out there for Greek Life. I think the difference at our school is that we really do encourage the use of individual talents to really promote Greek Life. Since CUNY does not recognize Greek life at all, we have to work really hard in preserving a good name, because one foul move and we'll all be banned from campus. It helps though, because it really does force us all to follow our ideals and truly bring positivity into the picture when it comes to Campus involvement.

We don't really have as many of the stereotypes on us as other schools because even though people have seen things on TV, they've never heard an ill word regarding our actual chapters. They see us raising money for charities and working together, having fun on Greek Week (day..haha) and through Recruitment. They never see us partying, failing out of school, or keeping only to ourselves. So, I guess what my point is....is that yes, the positive light we have put on us by the school paper is good. It helps, because those who do read the paper see something positive and know where to go for Recruitment events and/or COB activities. But most importantly we make sure as members of our respective organizations that we work to show that the article speaks truth - and that we really are all about the positive aspects of greek life. So, Yes, it helps interest. But it's really our actions that solidify it.

=)
Old 10-01-2008, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Omega Delta?

GOD?

Freaking sweet.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke