GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 1,253
0 members and 1,253 guests
No Members online

Old 10-31-2010, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Anonymous recruitment

Are there any campuses that participate in anonymous recruitment? Meaning that girls do now know what houses they are visiting, just House 1, House 2, and so on. I heard something about it and am curious how/if that works (or if it even exists).

"Together Let Us Seek The Heights"
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-31-2010, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleparrot View Post
Are there any campuses that participate in anonymous recruitment? Meaning that girls do now know what houses they are visiting, just House 1, House 2, and so on. I heard something about it and am curious how/if that works (or if it even exists).
Is it something you actually heard of happening? I honestly can't imagine that it actually exists within the NPC. I don't know how it would be possible to keep it entirely anonymous.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

I don't either but I know I read something about that on GC awhile back.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never heard of that, but I wish that would catch on! It would definitely help with the pressure that some girls feel to want a "top" house, and would help the girls focus on finding where they fit.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Is it something you actually heard of happening? I honestly can't imagine that it actually exists within the NPC. I don't know how it would be possible to keep it entirely anonymous.
I never heard of it actually happening, just someone saying it would be cool to do it. I never really investigated as to where they got the idea from. I think it would be really hard to keep anonymous because PNM's know girls in houses, plus I feel like a lot of girls would end up in a "bad" house then drop (or would there be no "bad" houses because of the anonymity?) That's why I am curious to see if people actually do it, or if it's even possible.

"Together Let Us Seek The Heights"
Old 10-31-2010, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Even with my limited understanding of how sorority rush works, wouldn't anonymous rush really defeat the point of a HUGE part of rush? How would you do a pref ceremony? Philanthropy day? Songs and chants? What about legacies going through who really would like to be a part of their mother's chapter? Not to mention, how would you explain your sorority's values?

Last but not least, I'm not entirely sure that it would also hide who the "top" chapters are...I'm sure those houses would continue to put their hottest girls and cheerleaders in the slide show, door stack, etc. I'm not saying that every girl in a top chapter is a model, but it only takes about a minute on a chapter website (or even on a bid day photo) to make an educated guess on where that particular sorority falls in the campus hierarchy. Given 20 minute rush parties back to back with every sorority as a point of comparison, I think most girls could guess the hierarchy pretty accurately. The top chapters do tend to have more beautiful girls than the others, and while I tend to think the stereotype that lower tier houses are less attractive than middle is false, it IS usually the truth that the numbers will give it away. YMMV may vary of course.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I completely agree with this. It would be impossible to completely sanitize each group of their names, and as much as we like to say that you don't join a group for the name, some do for the reasons DTD Alum mentions- legacy status, philanthropy affiliation, history, religious affiliation, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD Alum View Post
Even with my limited understanding of how set sorority rush works, wouldn't anonymous rush really defeat the point of a HUGE part of rush? How would you do a pref ceremony? Philanthropy day? Songs and chants? What about legacies going through who really would like to be a part of their mother's chapter? Not to mention, how would you explain your sorority's values?

Last but not least, I'm not entirely sure that it would also hide who the "top" chapters are...I'm sure those houses would continue to put their hottest girls and cheerleaders in the slide show, door stack, etc. I'm not saying that every girl in a top chapter is a model, but it only takes about a minute on a chapter website (or even on a bid day photo) to make an educated guess on where that particular sorority falls in the campus hierarchy. Given 20 minute rush parties back to back with every sorority as a point of comparison, I think most girls could guess the hierarchy pretty accurately. The top chapters do tend to have more beautiful girls than the others, and while I tend to think the stereotype that lower tier houses are less attractive than middle is false, it IS usually the truth that the numbers will give it away. YMMV may vary of course.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 11-01-2010, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I was talking to one of my sisters one day about what a neat idea this was. However I think that it would only be possible for a round 1 or "meet the Greeks" type situation, because as others have mentioned the philanthropy, mission, and values plays a lot into sorority recruitment. Nevertheless for the first round I believe that it is a good idea because then girls would focus then more on the conversations they were having versus the "show" part of recruitment (i.e. the outfits, decorations, etc).

If this has ever actually been carried out I would be very interested in hearing about the results.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
I was talking to one of my sisters one day about what a neat idea this was. However I think that it would only be possible for a round 1 or "meet the Greeks" type situation, because as others have mentioned the philanthropy, mission, and values plays a lot into sorority recruitment. Nevertheless for the first round I believe that it is a good idea because then girls would focus then more on the conversations they were having versus the "show" part of recruitment (i.e. the outfits, decorations, etc).

If this has ever actually been carried out I would be very interested in hearing about the results.
But let's be real here, it wouldn't eliminate any part of the "show". You could still have themes and outfits without disclosing the name of your sorority. I think the only theoretical benefit would be to avoid rumors, but I can't really believe with house decor and people knowing girls in sororities that it would be a secret for more than a couple of seconds. Plus, like I said earlier, I think girls could pretty accurately figure out who was "top" pretty quickly...I doubt any "top" chapter would be cool with people not knowing that fact about them, and would find ways to broadcast it subtly.

At the end of the day, I think that hiding which sorority you are would defeat the purpose of what founders intended because you wouldn't be able to discuss what makes your sorority different than the rest, and what your sorority values. In fact I think it might be a huge detriment to eliminate things like colors, philanthropy, mascots and history because those are things that would stand out in a PNMs mind to differentiate chapters from each other.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But let's be real here, it wouldn't eliminate any part of the "show". You could still have themes and outfits without disclosing the name of your sorority. I think the only theoretical benefit would be to avoid rumors, but I can't really believe with house decor and people knowing girls in sororities that it would be a secret for more than a couple of seconds. Plus, like I said earlier, I think girls could pretty accurately figure out who was "top" pretty quickly...I doubt any "top" chapter would be cool with people not knowing that fact about them, and would find ways to broadcast it subtly.

At the end of the day, I think that hiding which sorority you are would defeat the purpose of what founders intended because you wouldn't be able to discuss what makes your sorority different than the rest, and what your sorority values. In fact I think it might be a huge detriment to eliminate things like colors, philanthropy, mascots and history because those are things that would stand out in a PNMs mind to differentiate chapters from each other.
I disagree. I mean the whole point of "no frills" recruitment was to remove a lot of the "show" out of recruitment, and to that end (when it's followed, of course) it has been somewhat successful at removing the performance aspect of sorority recruitment.

And the idea of an anonymous recruitment would be along the same lines as "no frills", just taken up several notches. I mean obviously there would be ways of trying to get across whatever reputation it is that you wanted to portray, but at least girls could know the reputations as the chapters want to be perceived, not how they were 10 years ago that's probably not true anymore but is set in stone because reputations don't change, or at least don't change much.

And I don't know if I agree that it would defeat the point of recruitment as we know it. NPC sororities are really a matter of fit-- and chapter fit trumps all. This is why we always tell PNMs to keep an open mind because reputations are really pointless and in the end you will be joining an amazing sisterhood and fantastic national organization, no matter which specific one you end up in. And I feel that if recruitment were somehow anonymous (which would be nearly impossible in the logistics, but bear with me), it would allow girls to go in somewhat blindly and realize where it is they truly feel at home.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I personally think that, at schools with large chapters, you could randomly assign PNM's to chapters and it would work out just fine.

That said, I think no frills is a move in the right direction, and I'm curious if schools have different rules about mentioning fraternities. IIRC, we were not allowed to put fraternity letters in our official video, but it was fine if they were in door decorations and stuff like that. Again, it's not really a secret who mixes with whom, but it also shouldn't be the deciding factor.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

As nice as this idea is in theory it couldn't work due to the information age we are in and each campus has a culture that could potentially work against any idea of evening things out. Over time I think that the changes we have made (RFM, no frills, enforcing policies on dirty rushing) will level out some schools, and has at some. Places where more out of state students are headed that have had traditional strongholds will, and are changing, albeit slowly.

I think our bigger problems are really lying with retention, the cost of college, and the caliber of students attending college. A university degree really isn't for everyone and higher education is going to implode sooner or later and we can't keep doing things the same way with our giant houses and to be honest, some really arcane policies that don't fit the college students in the second decade of the new millennium. There is a lot that has changed but a lot that still needs to changed if we want to stay relevant and vibrant into the future.

Perhaps focusing on how similar we are as organizations and working for a system that allows PNMs to filter out that it often is the women in the chapter at a place and time (their campus during rush) and not all the other stuff we put out there that really is given a different name by the other 25 groups. I can honestly say every group has something I'm interested in and there was something about the women I met when and where I met them in addition to other, albeit other factors, that had me end up where I did. Sure there are some women who have legacy relationships that trump everything, or a relationship with a philanthropy, but those women are not as common as those who don't.

ETA: There are things within my ritual that speak to me like nothing else, and that is something that is unique to my experience and group that wouldn't be exactly replicated elsewhere like swaps, homecoming, candle passes, parties, and the other things we all do. Maybe (likely) the women who are my sisters saw something in me that related to our ritual and that's part of why I am an Alpha Gam, but ritual is something that comes with Initiation and hopefully we can find our deeper meaning during our too short new member periods.

Last edited by VandalSquirrel; 11-01-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Even with my limited understanding of how sorority rush works, wouldn't anonymous rush really defeat the point of a HUGE part of rush? How would you do a pref ceremony? Philanthropy day? Songs and chants? What about legacies going through who really would like to be a part of their mother's chapter? Not to mention, how would you explain your sorority's values?

I think you're right, if we're being real here. Skits aren't necessary on all campuses, as no-frills recruitment has been successful, but I do think the elements of pref ceremonies, for instance, are important. I know that fitting in with a particular chapter is usually the determining factor, but even as the confused, snobby, and probably tunnel-visioned PNM I was, I did have interest in the national organization. I picked my organization because I loved my chapter, but there are many very specific things I enjoy about my international organization that I did think about at the time. I'd want the benefit of knowing about the organization I was going to be a part of.

And I think you're right that it wouldn't necessarily eliminate the worry over "tiers". PNMs could probably determine it based on the reasons you pointed out, but also by the facebook photos (someone/something would slip through privacy filters...it just would happen) and prior friendships.

I could see it working well as an opening night option on a campus like mine with only five NPC sororities and where hierarchy isn't as important as it is to PNMs at large campuses. But after that, I think PNMs should get the chance to learn about the organization beyond the chapter.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 11-01-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Not to mention, how would you explain your sorority's values?
Well, let's be frank...those are all kind of the same anyway. I mean I don't think XYZ says "we only want girls who are beautiful" and ABC says "we only want girls who are academically superior." Pretty much all of the sororities want well rounded women and want to help develop women to that end.

As far as being more or less Jewish, Christian etc, regardless of what is in your ritual, that varies WIDELY from campus to campus. Ditto with how you focus your philanthropy efforts.

No frills has supposedly been happening for the last 15 years. Some schools have embraced it in the manner in which it was intended, some schools have used it as a way for chapters to snitch on each other and get hit with infractions, and some schools will have each girl rip out a kidney and send it to Australia before they give up chants, skits, matching outfits and thousands of dollars' worth of decorations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I think our bigger problems are really lying with retention, the cost of college, and the caliber of students attending college. A university degree really isn't for everyone and higher education is going to implode sooner or later and we can't keep doing things the same way with our giant houses and to be honest, some really arcane policies that don't fit the college students in the second decade of the new millennium. There is a lot that has changed but a lot that still needs to changed if we want to stay relevant and vibrant into the future.
I completely agree with this. We need to get rid of national awards for achieving quota/total and replace them with awards for the highest percentage of pledges staying active until their senior year. I would bet that some schools that supposedly have "weak" Greek system would tote home all these awards - as the people who join at such systems join because they really want to, not just because it's the socially "right" thing to do.

Although I think that this may be one silver lining in this recession - kids who want no part of college (or being Greek) won't be buffaloed or coerced into it by their parents, simply because the $$ isn't there.

As to the original post, I don't know that we so much want to make it anonymous as we want to impress upon women that the best sorority is the sorority that fits them. Making things anonymous just masks the problem, it doesn't really solve it.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Well, let's be frank...those are all kind of the same anyway. I mean I don't think XYZ says "we only want girls who are beautiful" and ABC says "we only want girls who are academically superior." Pretty much all of the sororities want well rounded women and want to help develop women to that end.

As far as being more or less Jewish, Christian etc, regardless of what is in your ritual, that varies WIDELY from campus to campus. Ditto with how you focus your philanthropy efforts.

No frills has supposedly been happening for the last 15 years. Some schools have embraced it in the manner in which it was intended, some schools have used it as a way for chapters to snitch on each other and get hit with infractions, and some schools will have each girl rip out a kidney and send it to Australia before they give up chants, skits, matching outfits and thousands of dollars' worth of decorations.

I completely agree with this. We need to get rid of national awards for achieving quota/total and replace them with awards for the highest percentage of pledges staying active until their senior year. I would bet that some schools that supposedly have "weak" Greek system would tote home all these awards - as the people who join at such systems join because they really want to, not just because it's the socially "right" thing to do.

Although I think that this may be one silver lining in this recession - kids who want no part of college (or being Greek) won't be buffaloed or coerced into it by their parents, simply because the $$ isn't there.

As to the original post, I don't know that we so much want to make it anonymous as we want to impress upon women that the best sorority is the sorority that fits them. Making things anonymous just masks the problem, it doesn't really solve it.
I knew you'd reply to me We think the same way about a lot of these things and I'm glad I'm not alone in some of my thoughts. Perhaps there will be a movement of a joined effort of women throughout different eras of membership can work together to blend the best of the past and the present so we can be current and stick to our ideals and goals while not expecting women to never drink or have sex, or not be sitting in the parlor waiting for gentleman callers and playing the piano on weekend nights planning to be pinned by so we can get married after graduation.

I joined a feminist organization and I'm going to continue to promote the betterment of young women through my sisterhood and membership.