GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 307,862
Threads: 114,782
Welcome to our newest member, watkisab
» Online Users: 337
2 members and 335 guests
rhwswjmmy

Old 07-29-2006, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25
I agree with Shiner....sorry I just don't see it up there with Austin, LSU, the Swamp, Alabama, etc. etc..........
The Swamp and Death Valley, as well as Austin, are usually ahead of Iowa on 'ratings' so I don't disagree. Bama I can give or take, and I'd guess they're probably comparable, just different (regional/geographic).

Quote:
.......And please don't use "the gameday guys" as someone we should pay attention to. Those morons (besides Lee Corso) were the ones who proclaimed USC to be the best team EVER in college football last year. They also started that mindless crap about USC winning three straight championships. Kirk Herbstreet can suck my balls. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if they ranked USC #1-8 on the upcoming preseason polls.
That's neither here nor there, but I agree - media hype on USC was ridiculous, kind of the exact opposite of 2003 when they were probably the legit best team in the country (Also, this is why Amy is totally wrong about this, as she usually is about sports, so there biznatch). Corso did the spot on stadiums, but yeah - I'm just saying that us Iowa fans aren't making shit up, it's a legit claim and a pretty rowdy stadium (and also recognized by 'outsiders'). The stadiums you've named are sick - so's the Big House, but Iowa has a claim to being in that conversation in a serious fashion (as does Autzen).
Old 07-29-2006, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktsnake
-- and if DA reads this thread, we're not talking about the University of Ohio or the University of Tennessee.
I'll overlook it this time because there's no such place as the University of Ohio. It's Ohio University, where the O and the U actually come in the same order as the name of the school.

And speaking of OSU, I think I read that Ohio State had a pretty amazing recruiting year.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie
LOL maybe I can help them stop that by paying for expensive houses for their players' families.

LOL it can't hurt and might even win ya a heisman along the way.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC
The Swamp and Death Valley, as well as Austin, are usually ahead of Iowa on 'ratings' so I don't disagree. Bama I can give or take, and I'd guess they're probably comparable, just different (regional/geographic).

That's neither here nor there, but I agree - media hype on USC was ridiculous, kind of the exact opposite of 2003 when they were probably the legit best team in the country (Also, this is why Amy is totally wrong about this, as she usually is about sports, so there biznatch). Corso did the spot on stadiums, but yeah - I'm just saying that us Iowa fans aren't making shit up, it's a legit claim and a pretty rowdy stadium (and also recognized by 'outsiders'). The stadiums you've named are sick - so's the Big House, but Iowa has a claim to being in that conversation in a serious fashion (as does Autzen).
i'll agree with that totally.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amycat412
LOL it can't hurt and might even win ya a heisman along the way.
Ae you trying to contend that Reggie Bush shouldn't have won the Heisman? Clearly, thats a bad way of going about it. Do I think he should have won it? No, but that is because it should have clearly been Vince Young. Its ok though.....Bush choked in the National Championship and Vince was labeled the most prolific QB in college football history, not bad at all.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Fuck Alabama.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Quote:
Ae you trying to contend that Reggie Bush shouldn't have won the Heisman? Clearly, thats a bad way of going about it. Do I think he should have won it? No, but that is because it should have clearly been Vince Young. Its ok though.....Bush choked in the National Championship and Vince was labeled the most prolific QB in college football history, not bad at all.
HELL NO. lol I am a USC alum and was just being saracastic with valkyrie on a subject she and I joke around about a lot.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh ok, just wondering.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

dream match up...Iowa vs. Notre Dame in the BCS Championship
Old 07-30-2006, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

No offense, but your "dream matchup" would send much of the rest of the country into a coma come early January.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC

Eh, nothing really to the big house. The huge crowds and tailgating are nice but the crowds are quiet during the game.

Iowa is loud from what I've seen on tv and the crowds are right up against the field almost which adds to the intimidation factor.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

There are a lot of places people would think were intimidating, but really arent. The Big House is a good example. Neyland of late isn't much to speak of, and Samford Stadium at UGA is the least intimidating place to play of the major SEC schools, in my opinion.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven
Comparison of Northern and Southern Football

WOMEN'S ACCESSORIES
North: Chap stick in back pocket and a $20 bill in the front pocket.
South: Louis Vuitton duffel with two lipsticks, water-proof mascara,and a fifth of bourbon. Money not necessary; that's what dates are for.

STADIUM SIZE
North: College football stadiums hold 20,000 people.
South: High School football stadiums hold 20,000 people.

FATHERS
North: Expect their daughters to understand Sylvia Plath.
South: Expect their daughters to understand pass interference.

CAMPUS DECOR
North: Statues of founding fathers.
South: Statues of Heisman Trophy winners.

HOMECOMING QUEEN
North: Also a physics major.
South: Also Miss USA.

HEROES
North: Mario Cuomo.
South: Paul "Bear" Bryant.

GETTING TICKETS
North: 5 days before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus and purchase tickets.
South: 5 months before the game walk into the ticket office on campus and put name on waiting list for tickets after you donate $5K to the Athletic Fund.

FRIDAY CLASSES AFTER A THURSDAY NIGHT GAME
North: Students and teacher are not sure if they are going to the game, because they have classes on Friday.
South: Teachers cancel Friday classes because they don't want to see the few hung over students that might actually make it to class.

PARKING
North: An hour before game time the University open the campus for game parking.
South: RVs sporting their school flags begin arriving on Wednesday for the weekend festivities. The really faithful arrive on Tuesday.

GAME DAY
North: A few students party in the dorm and watch ESPN on TV.
South: Every student wakes up, has a beer for breakfast and rushes over to where ESPN is broadcasting "Game Day Live" to get on camera and wave to the idiots up North who wonder why "Game Day Live" is never broadcast from their campus.

TAILGATING
North: Raw meat on a grill, beer with lime in it, listening to local radio station with truck tailgate down.
South: 30-foot custom pig-shaped smoker fires up at dawn. Cooking accompanied by live performance by "Dave Matthews Band," who come over during breaks and ask for a hit off bottle of bourbon.

GETTING TO THE STADIUM
North: You ask "Where's the stadium?". When you find it, you walk right in.
South: When you're near it, you'll hear it. On game day it becomes the state's third largest city.

CONCESSIONS
North: Drinks served in a paper cup, filled to the top with soda.
South: Drinks served in a plastic cup with the home team's mascot on it. Filled less than halfway with soda, to ensure enough room for bourbon.

WHEN NATIONAL ANTHEM IS PLAYED
North: Stands are less than half full, and less than half of them stand up.
South: 100,000 fans, all standing, sing along in perfect 3-part harmony.

THE SMELL IN THE AIR AFTER THE FIRST SCORE
North: Nothing changes.
South: Fireworks, with a touch of bourbon.

COMMENTARY (MALE)
North: "Nice play."
South: "Dammit, you slow sumbitch - tackle him and break his legs!!"

COMMENTARY (FEMALE)
North: "My, this certainly is a violent sport."
South: "Dammit, you slow sumbitch - tackle him and break his legs!!"

ANNOUNCERS
North: Neutral and paid.
South: Announcer harmonizes with the crowd in the fight song, with a tear in his eye because he is so proud of his team.

AFTER THE GAME
North: The stadium is empty way before the game ends.
South: Another rack of ribs goes on the smoker. While somebody goes to the nearest package store for more bourbon, planning begins for next week's game.
This taught me a lesson...I was definitely laughing my way through it...
Old 07-30-2006, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

My two favorite teams...

Oklahoma.

... and whoever's playing saxeT.

Bombs away!

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 07-30-2006, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member