GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,186
Threads: 114,823
Welcome to our newest member, rguielu
» Online Users: 265
6 members and 259 guests
Axstomdz, FSUZeta, LuvMyPNM, sigmagirl2000, TXDG

Old 09-09-2006, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Little Problem

I received a bid from a fraternity, and I'm extremely interested, but I'm an atheist. I didn't want to tell them, because they formally gave me the bid, and it would have ruined the "mood." But does this really matter?
Old 09-09-2006, 12:49 AM

I don't see it being a problem, as long as you're respectful of the other brother's/pledges religious beliefs and don't openly "put down" people who are not.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

It depends on the fraternity. If it's Kappa Sigma, then you have to decline a bid. In Kappa Sigma, it is a requirement that you believe in some form of religious deity/higher being. If it's not, then I say go for it. If you're still uncomfortable with it, talk to the president/pledgemaster about it, or it may not be the fraternity for you after all.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalin
I received a bid from a fraternity, and I'm extremely interested, but I'm an atheist. I didn't want to tell them, because they formally gave me the bid, and it would have ruined the "mood." But does this really matter?
I wouldn't use the word athiest...I would use the word "agnostic" when explaining to them.

Athiest is more of a negative connotation and goes way beyond not believing in God....I think of Athiests not only believing in the non-existance of God, but dead and determined that no one else should either.

Agnostic is what more so-called "athiests" are....they just don't believe in any type of religion, and believe that you are born, you live, you die, and that's it. There is nothing wrong with that, if that is what you believe.

That is what makes America beautiful.

As you can see, one sounds alot less intimidating than the other.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesrising
Agnostic is more "I'll never know what's really out there." while atheist is "there's nothing out there.".
Yeah, athiests believe there is no God or anything similar. Agnostics believe in a "higher power".
Old 09-09-2006, 07:19 AM
GreekChat Member

actually, atheists don't believe in the existance of god, while agnostics don't believe in god, but concede that one could exist.

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Old 09-09-2006, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Um, going by the words themselves, isn't
agnositic "without knowledge" (meaning you can't really make a claim about the existance of God) and atheist "without god/s*" or "without a belief in god/s*" ?

So, it seems to me that, although agnostic may carry a more positive meaning for believers, it's probably actually wrong to regard it as some kind of sort of atheism lite. Some people know that they don't believe in God, and if they don't believe, they probably shouldn't misrepresent that their position. I think a declaration of "agnositicism" would led to a lot of attempts to convince the new member of religious faith, which I think would be super frustrating to an atheist.

If you know you don't believe, original poster, I'd talk it over with the person in charge of new members or ritual. That person will be able to tell you how much the ideals of the fraternity will be at odds with your lack of belief.

My experience as a Catholic in a group that turned out to have a lot of Southern Baptists was that particular religious beliefs didn't come up that much, but that sharing the same general faith made prayers before meals more comfortable than they would have been for any non-Christian.

(*The wikipedia entry indicated it was from ancient Greek, which is why I'm not capitalizing the G.)
Old 09-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

i find it admirable that you are taking so seriously what the bid stands for, and the ritual you may experience as a member. if only all pnms(female and male) would do take their pledgeship so seriously!!!
Old 09-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Banned

Some of the fraternities have rituals that are more based in scripture than others...this is definately something to disclose to see if the fraternity may have an issue with it.

I agree with the other poster that you are to be well-commended for taking your bid seriously.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga
Um, going by the words themselves, isn't
agnositic "without knowledge" (meaning you can't really make a claim about the existance of God) and atheist "without god/s*" or "without a belief in god/s*" ?

So, it seems to me that, although agnostic may carry a more positive meaning for believers, it's probably actually wrong to regard it as some kind of sort of atheism lite. Some people know that they don't believe in God, and if they don't believe, they probably shouldn't misrepresent that their position. I think a declaration of "agnositicism" would led to a lot of attempts to convince the new member of religious faith, which I think would be super frustrating to an atheist.

If you know you don't believe, original poster, I'd talk it over with the person in charge of new members or ritual. That person will be able to tell you how much the ideals of the fraternity will be at odds with your lack of belief.

My experience as a Catholic in a group that turned out to have a lot of Southern Baptists was that particular religious beliefs didn't come up that much, but that sharing the same general faith made prayers before meals more comfortable than they would have been for any non-Christian.

(*The wikipedia entry indicated it was from ancient Greek, which is why I'm not capitalizing the G.)
I think the "conversion attempt", ever how-slight, will probably happen anyway. As a religious person, I cannot fathom of how anyone can be either, but as an American, I strongly feel that there isn't anything wrong with someone believing as they choose, and I support that right.

It will definately be a call for the fraternity to make, and he may pleasantly discover that they may not have an issue with it.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesrising
Agnostic is more "I'll never know what's really out there." while atheist is "there's nothing out there.".
When most people think of athiests, they instantly think of political radicals..that successfully took prayer out of schools, want to change the pledge, fight every Christmas nativity scene, etc.

I think the PNM would probably be best served avoiding that association..no matter how inaccurate, but that is what people think of when they hear the word.

Obviously that is no fault of the PNM.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Shouldn't GLOs that have a religious requirement (even a general one such as "belief in some form of religious deity/higher being") disclose that fact to the PNMs early in the recruitment process?
Old 09-09-2006, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally Posted by alum
Shouldn't GLOs that have a religious requirement (even a general one such as "belief in some form of religious deity/higher being") disclose that fact to the PNMs early in the recruitment process?
I think so, if that's the case. I had no idea that any GLOs had "religious requirements," though...guess you learn something new every day!
Old 09-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalin
Another good term you might consider is saying you're "spiritually centered." That can mean you believe in a higher power, or it may not. It's what it means to you.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBaby80
I think so, if that's the case. I had no idea that any GLOs had "religious requirements," though...guess you learn something new every day!
I guess I'm referring to what KLPDaisy wrote last night:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDaisy
It depends on the fraternity. If it's Kappa Sigma, then you have to decline a bid. In Kappa Sigma, it is a requirement that you believe in some form of religious deity/higher being. If it's not, then I say go for it. If you're still uncomfortable with it, talk to the president/pledgemaster about it, or it may not be the fraternity for you after all.

I did a quick look on the Kappa Sig national website and couldn't find anything that alluded to religious belief in their "About Kappa Sigma" or Motto sections.