GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 607
0 members and 607 guests
No Members online

Old 09-23-2008, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Michigan State Recruitment?

Is anyone on the board familiar with the state of things at MSU? In reading the NPC Recruitment Fall 2008-Spring 2009 thread, I was really shocked to see that quota last year was only 23. I remember it being in the 45-60 range when I was there.

I know Alpha Xi Delta, Alpha Gamma Delta and Phi Mu all left campus in 2001 and 2002. I assumed it was due to low numbers in each case. Are there any other chapters struggling to stay on campus?

Any idea why quota is so low? How many women are going through? We used to have well over 1000 each fall. Is the poor economy in the state of Michigan hurting Greek life?

Just curious if anyone knows anything. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2008, 05:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I was wondering the same thing. Of course I don't have my finger on the pulse of the campus like I did when we had a chapter there, but I'm guessing it's the economy. I haven't heard any other recruitment results from lower Michigan schools yet, but when I get that info, I'll be curious to see whether this is widespread across the state or something unique to State. I know Northern Michigan went from a quota of 2 last year to a quota of 9 this year, but I think the UP has different dynamics (and their Panhellenic really dropped the ball on advertising the previous year). Wayne State had Prefs and Bid Day on Friday, I should be able to find out how they did.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes...the UP definitely has a different feel!

I would imagine that MSU is having problems because their enrollment has been down compared to previous years - the economy is definitely one reason. Cheaper state schools (CMU, GVSU, MTU) have been seeing huge INCREASES in the amount of girls they are taking...well, AST has, and I think it's fair to say that's probably relatively even across the board as rarely does one sorority do significantly better than every single other one.

MSU is very expensive for the education, considering that other state schools are a quarter of the price but are ranked the same or better.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Cost of Education

As a Penn Stater, we were told that we are not a "State" university but, a "State Affiliated" university. I'm wondering if Michigan State works the same way. If it does-that would explain why it seems so expensive to attend.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmmm...how do they afford those big houses with out having larger memberships?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Of course I don't have my finger on the pulse of the campus like I did when we had a chapter there, but I'm guessing it's the economy. I haven't heard any other recruitment results from lower Michigan schools yet, but when I get that info, I'll be curious to see whether this is widespread across the state or something unique to State. I know Northern Michigan went from a quota of 2 last year to a quota of 9 this year, but I think the UP has different dynamics (and their Panhellenic really dropped the ball on advertising the previous year). Wayne State had Prefs and Bid Day on Friday, I should be able to find out how they did.
I heard through the rose vines that Alpha Pi took 12, but I don't know what quota was.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post

I would imagine that MSU is having problems because their enrollment has been down compared to previous years
I had not heard that enrollment was down that much, but it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Hmmm...how do they afford those big houses with out having larger memberships?
That was one of the first things I thought of. I can't remember what the live-in numbers are for the other houses, but most of the chapters left at MSU have large houses. Quota at 23 will definitely make the finances tight.

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
I know Alpha Xi Delta, Alpha Gamma Delta and Phi Mu all left campus in 2001 and 2002. I assumed it was due to low numbers in each case. Are there any other chapters struggling to stay on campus?
If there are, I'm sure members of those chapters would not hesitate to blast it all over the internet. Spreading rumors would surely help their case.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

To add to my previous post: Dues at MSU are extremely expensive. As I said before, the poor economy doesn't help their case here with that either. Most students at MSU are struggling to afford tuition right now. There aren't as many scholarships out there as people say there are.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Got word that at Northwood University, quota was 11, significantly higher than usual. Private college, more expensive than MSU.

We should be hearing from LionInMI about U of Mich results as Prefs were last night there.

EMU is happening now, bid day is 10/4

Last edited by AGDee; 09-25-2008 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
I think UM-Dearborn's quota was around 18ish? Not sure. Phi Mu got 18. They're bid day was this past Saturday. Delta Phi Epsilon received 17 so I'm sure quota was around there. When I was active, it was always around 12-13. I'm wondering if shows like Greek are opening more eyes to the Greek system. Greek Life isn't huge in this area, as Dee can attest, but it seems to be getting bigger.

And as for MSU, Phi Mu closed ultimately because of numbers and filling the gigantic house. Which confuses me that they had a problem with numbers. They seemed like they'd be the "popular" kind of girls. How would they have a problem with numbers?

KLTC

Last edited by PM_Mama00; 09-25-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00 View Post
And as for MSU, Phi Mu closed ultimately because of numbers and filling the gigantic house. Which confuses me that they had a problem with numbers. They seemed like they'd be the "popular" kind of girls. How would they have a problem with numbers?
Inter-chapter turmoil and a lot of girls quitting? Or people just didn't want to live in? I have no idea of course, just speculating.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Inter-chapter turmoil and a lot of girls quitting? Or people just didn't want to live in? I have no idea of course, just speculating.

No clue. We were just told the numbers and filling the house. I don't think a lot of girls were quitting though.

KLTC
Old 09-26-2008, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

There are a LOT less girls going through this fall at MSU.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to beebadger
The overall number of PNMs were down at UW-Madison also. Everyone's best guess is that it was the economy and parents not wanting to pay for "extras" like sorority dues.