GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,305
2 members and 1,303 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 10-21-2014, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Rushing as senior?

I'm a current junior at University of Houston down in Texas (transferred from A&M my sophomore year!) and I've always wanted to rush for a sorority, but didn't have the time to rush/commit to one during my first 3 years of undergraduate due to family issues and wanting to focus on my studies.

I have a decent GPA (3.8), I've been really involved in other student clubs on campus (even taking a couple of leadership positions), and I'm pretty sociable/outgoing. Overall, looking at my potential app, the only thing I think that would count against me is the fact that I'm a senior. I'd be able to have a full time commitment as well since my senior year is very light compared to my other years in school. University of Houston recruitment is known to be substantially less competitive than UT, so do you think it's too late for me to go through rush as a senior? Do you think that they would consider me or would I get dropped in the middle of recruitment process?

I've truly always wanted to be part of a great sisterhood but wanted to ask for advice of whether it's even worth it to go through recruitment as a senior. It'd be heartbreaking to go through rush only to be cut halfway due to my graduation status.

Thanks in advance to those who help! I could use some expert advice
Old 10-21-2014, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

You won't know unless you try. Be open to any and all invitations you may receive.

We can't give you anything more specific than that. (I already love that you wrote "be part of" instead of "apart of" BUT I'm not in a sorority at your school so my thoughts don't count for spit).
Old 10-21-2014, 11:43 AM

If you don't think you could handle not getting a bid, don't do it. If you can, start finding potential rec writers.

Also, you're a junior now, correct? What about spring recruitment? If there are any chapters having COB activities you should check them out.

Do you have any friends in sororities or fraternities now?
Old 10-21-2014, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I think a key question to ask yourself is would you be more upset not making an attempt and then wondering what if? Or would you be more upset, if you didn't get a bid?

Putting yourself out there with the risk of rejection isn't an easy thing to do. Regardless of these outcomes in life, both good and bad, it allows people the opportunity to learn and grow through it.

I realize you might not be getting the "expert advice" you are looking for, but this is one of those situations where there are so many variables. And frankly I think the CG community in general would be doing you a disservice by blowing smoke.

Good luck in making the choice that is best for you.