GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,316
4 members and 1,312 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, Xidelt

Old 07-23-2008, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Encourage someone to rush?

Ok, I'd like to apologize because I'm SURE this thread has been done before. It's just ridiculously hard to search for (even when using Google).

My sister is going to a CA state school in the fall, and I'm trying to subtly encourage her to go Greek. I know, I know, everyone has to make their own decisions. However, she's a stubborn person, and I can totally see her changing her mind (as she's done with other things in the past). I feel like she (and a lot of people) don't see the benefits of going Greek and don't get what it's really all about.

Does anyone have any tips? I'm thinking that explaining all of the great things I've gotten out of Kappa would be helpful. (Btw, they don't have a Kappa chapter there, so no legacy pressure.)

ETA: I wouldn't be shocked if she changes her mind sophomore year. Hey, that's what I (essentially) did.

Last edited by LucyKKG; 07-23-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if she changes her mind sophomore year. Hey, that's what I (essentially) did.
Sometimes it takes actually getting out of the house and doing your own thing before you decide going greek is for you. My cousin was totally against joining a sorority her freshman year. I tried to bring it up and even wrote her a rec just in case she decided to go through recruitment at the last minute, but no luck. Then a bunch of her friends went through recruitment and she saw what a great way it was to meet people and have fun. Now she is ready to sign up and even wants Kappa!

I don't think you can talk someone into it, you just have to let them see all the positives and let them make their decision. Maybe just have one good talk with her about national connections, higher-than-average gpas, date parties (whatever her thing is!) and hope for the best.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd tell her to go through recruitment because even if she thinks it's dumb, it's a great way to meet a lot more people on campus.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with GeekyPenguin. If she goes through now, she does not have to pledge, but she WILL meet TONS of ladies on campus! She may decide to pledge and may not, but at least she will have many familiar faces on campus when school begins!

Also mention scholarships, leadership opportunities, study groups, networking + career advice, etc. Plus, many employers look for prior greek leadership in job candidates and it can help set you apart from others you may be competing against for that dream job one day.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

See, this is why I love GC. An hour and a half later and I already have tons of helpful suggestions. Thankssss!

Oh, and she's at summer orientation right now (til tomorrow). I'm so excited for her!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I was actually talking to a former student about recruitment today and it really fits in with this thread! So funny!

The main points I tried to hit with her since I have known her throughout her high school years were:
- People she knows who are rushing who might not be "typical rushees" (It always surprises me how "so-and-so" rushing can make another girl want to)
- People she knows who are Greek who might not be "stereotypical Greeks"
- Positives that sororities offer than can't be offered through a non-Greek group
- How Greek life in general can vary from campus to campus and from chapter to chapter, so it can offer every girl something different

I also always tell girls who are unsure about recruitment that it's a great way to meet people and it's also a great way to figure out whether Greek life is a fit. If you never go through recruitment, how do you know for sure that none of the chapters are a fit? But if you give it a shot, at least you'll know... whether it means you are joining or not.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyPenguin View Post
I'd tell her to go through recruitment because even if she thinks it's dumb, it's a great way to meet a lot more people on campus.

you could even emphasize that she does not have to join, but at least by participating she has the option.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Another "selling point" is that it's a ready made support system for a freshman who is away from home for the very first time ever. While some may find leaving the nest as an exciting adventure, others find it very intimidating. Even those who are excited can still be apprehensive and eventually homesick. Having a way to make friends can help.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

If she can sit in on the first few days just to figure out if it's something she may want to do, she could withdraw at any time (no obligation). Let her know that by meeting new people, it might make it easier for her to get a bid during an informal recruitment or make her name known for recruitment the following year if she later changes her mind. If your situation allows, you might even pay her recruitment registration fees as a family "gift". I assume this would be acceptable since the Legacy thing apparently isn't an issue.

Last edited by Kansas City; 07-24-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas City View Post
If your situation allows, you might even pay her recruitment registration fees as a family "gift". I assume this would be acceptable since the Legacy thing apparently isn't an issue.
Oh definitely. If she says she's even considering it, I'd offer right away.

I'm going to talk to her about orientation when I see her in a few days and tell her what I've been thinking about all of this. After that, I'll leave it alone til sophomore year. Thanks for all of your help!