GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,420
0 members and 1,420 guests
No Members online

Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post
And I should add that I place more faith in people that I know as family, friends, Brothers or business associates than unknown people in a social media setting.
Well, that would be eminantly reasonable.

And I will continue to give short shrift to posts that consist almost solely of linking to random articles from all over the place, without showing even the slightest bit of independent or critical thought.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

The four of you made this thread really boring.

And by "four of you" I mean SOM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Well, that would be eminantly reasonable.

And I will continue to give short shrift to posts that consist almost solely of linking to random articles from all over the place, without showing even the slightest bit of independent or critical thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post

Dear MysticCat and agzg, I see nothing wrong with SOM's posts. It is not uncommon for knowledge to be found from all sources and brought to Greekchat. Moreover, if you all cannot handle the wisdom that SOM brings to Greekchat, feel free to ignore the posts.

Additional information to keep you informed:
http://www.cutepuppies.net/
http://www.dailypuppy.com/
Old 05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post

A guy I know said this thread was COMPLETELY AWESOME - obviously I'll take his word over yours, because I know him.

I promise he's not me. Promise.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
A medical report obtained exclusively by ABC News found that Trayvon Martin's accused killer, George Zimmerman, was diagnosed with a broken nose, a pair of black eyes, two lacerations to the back of his head and a minor back injury the day after he fatally shot Martin.
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...rld&id=8663404

That's pretty consistent with Zimmerman's account of things.

I guess this case is no longer as sexy for the media to cover it now that there's a reasonable chance that Martin was the one who initiated the physical violence.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...rld&id=8663404

That's pretty consistent with Zimmerman's account of things.

I guess this case is no longer as sexy for the media to cover it now that there's a reasonable chance that Martin was the one who initiated the physical violence.
The media is how you found out that info. The media has never been completely silent because I see at least one article per week on this. There has simply been less to say in a larger sense once people get bored with Nancy Grace and the court of public opinion. The obvious "we shall wait and see" is what is going on.

There is still a reasonable chance that Zimmerman initiated the violence when he followed Martin and perhaps ran up on Martin which caused Martin to respond (or Martin to stop when he discovered he was being followed and say to Zimmerman "what the hell are you following me for"). Martin perhaps thought he was defending himself just as Zimmerman is claiming that he was defending himself with a gun-to-a-fist-fight. The Gun Gods are mighty generous if they just so happened to allow Zimmerman to have his gun to defend himself for an unsolicitated and nonprecipitated fist fight.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
The media is how you found out that info. The media has never been completely silent because I see at least one article per week on this. There has simply been less to say in a larger sense once people get bored with Nancy Grace and the court of public opinion. The obvious "we shall wait and see" is what is going on.
There never was all that much to say. Hell.. when we were on media blitz mode when this thing started, or rather when the national media picked it up, there was a lot less to say than there is right now.

Quote:
There is still a reasonable chance that Zimmerman initiated the violence when he followed Martin and perhaps ran up on Martin which caused Martin to respond (or Martin to stop when he discovered he was being followed and say to Zimmerman "what the hell are you following me for"). Martin perhaps thought he was defending himself just as Zimmerman is claiming that he was defending himself with a gun-to-a-fist-fight. The Gun Gods are mighty generous if they just so happened to allow Zimmerman to have his gun to defend himself for an unsolicitated and nonprecipitated fist fight.
It's a really good thing we don't convict people in this country based on there being a reasonable chance they're guilty.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It's a really good thing we don't convict people in this country based on there being a reasonable chance they're guilty.
And the river of redundancy keeps flowing.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Banned

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47453164...ew_york_times/
Old 05-17-2012, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm interested to see what "intermediate range" means regarding the approximate distance of the gunshot that ended this boy's life.

As you've pointed out, nothing here changes anything previously known about this story. Legal hearing/proceedings in the matter have been scant, so naturally the coverage has lessened as well.

From the released police video (2 hours? post event), little of these "injuries" were apparent. Also, earlier reporting suggested that paramedics cancelled the need for a second ambulance (meant for Zimmerman) at the scene. Also, I didn't see it noted in the above story but I read yesterday that the family doctor had been a childhood friend of the defendant's father, so there is that.
~ Luke 19:10

Last edited by TonyB06; 05-17-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And the river of redundancy keeps flowing.
Bartlett's-worthy!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Bartlett's-worthy!
I hope so.

I'm simply amused that when the media gets started people say "oh, media, thou art loose...why doth thou ramble off of bread and bitter herbs?!" When the media takes a breather and only shares a few news stories people say "hahaha, media, quiet now art thou?! Doth thou have nothing to sayeth?! Take dat! Take dat! Gooniegoogoo!!"

Can't win for losing.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
Really -- so you don't think the fact that Zimmerman was finally charged had anything to do with the quieting down of attention?

Scenario 1: A man shot and killed an unarmed minor and walked away free without even a grand jury investigation. Scenario 2: A man shot and killed an unarmed minor, got charged with second-degree murder, and the justice system tries to determine what happened.

Scenario 1 is shocking, almost unprecedented. Scenario 2, unfortunately, happens every day in this country. Scenario 2 barely makes the local news unless the events were extra grisly. It's normal. This case (thanks to national media attention and general outrage) morphed from 1 to 2. Why should people pay equal attention before and after the change?
Scenario 1 happens quite a bit. It's neither shocking nor unprecedented. It's called prosecutorial discretion. That's probably why it took so long to charge. In murder cases, prosecutors aren't always going to charge a crime when they know the Defendant has a pretty solid defense.

Last edited by Kevin; 05-17-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, now.

Google link