GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,464
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zmaondarko7769
» Online Users: 2,447
4 members and 2,443 guests
oncegreek, Tridentia, zolivilittlez29

Old 03-20-2007, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Quala67
your GLO and 2-yr/junior/community colleges

I have recently been appointed to serve as the Extension Chair for Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity. One of the things that I am tasked with investigating/researching regards GLO's and the aforementioned college-types.

If you would be so kind, if you know this information (and if it is not a breach of protocol to answer publicly), I would greatly appreciate any input from members of the various GLO's represented on GreekChat...

What GLO are you a member of?

Does your GLO have chapters at 2 yr/junior/community colleges? Why or why not?

If they do not have chapters, do they have any sort of 'feeder system' or affiliated clubs/organizations for your GLO?

Thank you in advance for reading and responding!

Alumnus, Zeta Beta/Va Tech and ADI/VCU
Advisor, Alpha Beta Omega/ODU, Phi Mu/NSU, & AZPhi/Regent U
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-20-2007, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

All NPC women's fraternity and sorority chapters are at 4-year colleges and universities only.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for your reply. So I am to understand that there are no 'affiliate' groups for any NPC organization at the aforementioned type of college, correct?

I am just trying to formulate a basis for my Fraternity to either pursue this, or to move in a different direction, and I am looking to see what is the 'norm' in the realm of other GLO's.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

It had been discussed by LXA at Gen. Assembly and voted down to approach 2 year schools.

While the idea of feeder schools, it is still up to the local chapter to vote to accept transfers. It was decided that this was not a feasible way to do this and resoundingly voted down.

With APO if that is what you are discussing, then it may be a different idea.

There is a difference between Service and Social Greek Organizations of course.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-20-2007, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Most definitely, there is a difference. WE know the difference, others not so familiar with the distinctions do not. I'm not afraid of doing something different - I am just researching if there is any sort of precedent of *any* GLO doing something like this: 'social,' service, professional, etc etc.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quala67 View Post
Thank you for your reply. So I am to understand that there are no 'affiliate' groups for any NPC organization at the aforementioned type of college, correct?

I am just trying to formulate a basis for my Fraternity to either pursue this, or to move in a different direction, and I am looking to see what is the 'norm' in the realm of other GLO's.
No, the NPC doesn't have affiliate groups. 4 year universities only.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
To the best of my knowledge, there is no GLO that is represented at both four-year and two-year institutions or even have affiliates at 2 year institutions. There are some Greek letter honoraries specific to 2 year institutions, but I don't believe they have a 4-year school equivalent.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
To the best of my knowledge, there is no GLO that is represented at both four-year and two-year institutions or even have affiliates at 2 year institutions.
I seem to recall a discussion on GC a while back that Teke once had some chapters at 2-year institutions, but I don't think they do anymore.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quala67 View Post
Most definitely, there is a difference. WE know the difference, others not so familiar with the distinctions do not. I'm not afraid of doing something different - I am just researching if there is any sort of precedent of *any* GLO doing something like this: 'social,' service, professional, etc etc.

While the majority of our chapters are at 4-year colleges/universities, Tau Beta Sigma & Kappa Kappa Psi have a few chapters at 2-year schools.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

wow - I didn't know that KKY and TBS had chapters at 2-year schools! Thanks for your input!!

Old 03-20-2007, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that both Pi Lambda Phi and Sigma Pi have chapter(s) at 2-year colleges. They both have chapters at Vincennes University which is 2-year.

I have a friend who was a Sigma Pi at VU and then transferred to a 4-year school. He had to go through the normal process to affiliate with the Sigma Pi chapter at his new school, but he was able to do it.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 03-20-2007, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Even though it is predominantly a 2 year school, VU does offer some 4 year degrees.

http://www.vinu.edu/cms/opencms/futu...reate_degrees/
Old 03-20-2007, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
I recall a thread that mentioned that Sig Ep had a chapter at a two year college. I may be wrong though.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coramoor View Post
I recall a thread that mentioned that Sig Ep had a chapter at a two year college. I may be wrong though.
I think their magazine's foundation report listed a dormant chapter at Tyler Junior College (Tyler, TX))...this is the only one I know of for Sig Ep. I've heard TKE had a couple somewhere.

Quala, something to keep in mind is with a JuCo you'll be turning your chapter's membership over every two years, if not more frequently. I'm not sure what APO's average tenure is like (I think my fraternity's about 3 years as an undergrad), but with constant turnover it would be tough to keep a chapter going and continuously moving forward. An alumni support group would need to be extremely hands on.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
I know that both Pi Lambda Phi and Sigma Pi have chapter(s) at 2-year colleges. They both have chapters at Vincennes University which is 2-year.

I have a friend who was a Sigma Pi at VU and then transferred to a 4-year school. He had to go through the normal process to affiliate with the Sigma Pi chapter at his new school, but he was able to do it.
For what it is worth, Sigma Pi was founded at Vincennes University. I seem to recall (from friends who are Sigma Pis) that their Alpha chapter was closed for many years. Not sure why, but perhaps - and pure speculation on my part - it might have been a requirement by the NIC that to be a member of the NIC, all chapters had to be on a four year campus. In any case, many years later, the Sigma Pi IHQ made an acceptation to their "four year colleges rule" (and perhaps the NIC, if it was necessary to do so) so that their Alpha chapter could be re-chartered at Vincennes. I'm thinking this was in the 1960s or early 70s.

I didn't know that Pi Lambda Phi had a chapter at Vincennes. According to their website, their Vincennes chapter was founded in 1996. Again, this is just speculation on my part, but perhaps this may be after VU began to offer four year degrees.