GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,534
0 members and 2,534 guests
No Members online

Old 08-21-2007, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=BamaMama;1505628]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
It's my understanding that if a PNM voluntarily withdraws she is still eligible for a snap bid as long as she informs Panhellenic that she would be interested. As to whether any snap bids were issued last night or how many Chapters made quota, we won't know that until later. Typically after the Bids are handed out.

Were snap bids issued, and how many chapters made quota? How many are still under total?
As was already said in the other Alabama thread, snap bids are not publicized and a woman getting a snap bid isn't going to know that she was "snapped" versus simply being on the original bid list. If women were "snapped", it happened on bid day.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-21-2007, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=SmartBlondeGPhB;1505680]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMama View Post

As was already said in the other Alabama thread, snap bids are not publicized and a woman getting a snap bid isn't going to know that she was "snapped" versus simply being on the original bid list. If women were "snapped", it happened on bid day.
That's not how it worked at my school. The girls definitely knew they were snapped because they had already dropped out of recruitment. Usually the recruitment chair and a active that had met her at a rush party would go to the girls room and talk to her about accepting the bid. If she accepted she would come to bid day with everyone else. I think there's some confusion about the difference between a quota addition and a snap bid.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelcaopi View Post
I think there's some confusion about the difference between a quota addition and a snap bid.
Add COB/COR to the list.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post

At UGA, at least in the olden days, the girl knew she was being snapped because she got a phone call from the group [or panhellenic, I guess.]

I think that SmartBlondeGPhB was probably thinking quota additions because in that case, she is totally right.

With snaps though, the girl didn't* pref the house, so surely she'd need to know and consent to get a bid [from a house that she didn't list on her bid card.]

(Although, I guess, at campuses that distribute bids and then let girls sign them, they could give a snap bid as the bid, but it just seems like of jerky because most girls would expect a bid to the group they preffed.)

*ETA: this should really be changed to might not have preffed the house, I guess.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 08-21-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=AlphaGamUGAAlum;1505826]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post

At UGA, at least in the olden days, the girl knew she was being snapped because she got a phone call from the group.

I think that SmartBlondeGPhB was probably thinking quota additions because in that case, she is totally right.

With snaps though, the girl didn't pref the house, so surely she'd need to know and consent to getting that bid.

(Although, I guess, at campuses who distribute bids and then let girls sign them, they could give a snap bid as the bid, but it just seems like of jerky because most girls would expect a bid to the group they preffed.)
A girl can be snapped if she preffed the house.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post

A girl can be snapped if she preffed the house.
I didn't think there were any rules against it, but wouldn't she have matched through normal bid matching though, making a snap unneeded?

Last edited by UGAalum94; 08-21-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Unregistered-

Dude, what's up with the quote function today?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
wouldn't she have matched through normal bid matching though, making a snap unneeded?
Not if she were low enough on the list.
________
WOWdream live

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGamUGAAlum View Post
At UGA, at least in the olden days, the girl knew she was being snapped because she got a phone call from the group [of panhellenic, I guess.]

With snaps though, the girl didn't* pref the house, so surely she'd need to know and consent to get a bid [from a house that she didn't list on her bid card.]

(Although, I guess, at campuses who distribute bids and then let girls sign them, they could give a snap bid as the bid, but it just seems like of jerky because most girls would expect a bid to the group they preffed.)

*ETA: this should really be changed to might not have preffed the house, I guess.
That has always been my understanding, at least in regards to Bama.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
Not if she were low enough on the list.
But under what conditions would they need to snap bid her if not that they didn't make quota? And if they didn't make quota, wouldn't they have exhausted the bid list, thereby having a chance to bid her offering her a regular bid already?

I'm sorry to seem so moronic, like it this were a real conversation that you all would have to talk slow,

but if a girl preffed a house and was on the bid list, how would the group end up not making quota and needing to snap before they passed her name?

Are you all thinking about snapping to total after regular bid matching? It makes sense in that case that SmartBlondeGphB is complete right; the woman and the average member of her group wouldn't need to know that she was part of the group that came in after quota but before total, like a quota addition.

I can completely see how a women could be snap bid by a different group that she didn't pref, but then it seems like the phone call to her is needed.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMama View Post
Were snap bids issued, and how many chapters made quota? How many are still under total?
Honestly it's hard to say how many Chapters had to snap. Panhellenic doesn't share the pledge lists until the bids are distributed which was at 5pm. Who knows how many Chapters may have received the call saying they needed to come snap. So if a Chapter snaps up to Quota prior to bids being handed out, the rest of the campus may never know they even had to.

We do know now (please refer to the thread on UA recruitment) that KD and Gamma Phi missed Quota -- at least by bid distribution time. However both have nearly snapped up to Quota and I wouldn't be surprised if they hit it really soon.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's the nutshell as it has been explained to my by one of our NPC Delegates a few years ago:

If a Chapter isn't at Quota yet and there are still "girls on the table" that are on their Bid list (meaning they came to Pref), then they would be matched through straight bid matching.

Snap bids are issued when all the women on your Bid List have been pledged to other Chapters or have voluntarily withdrawn from Recruitment and the Chapter is still not at Quota.

Quota Additions are when there are PNM's who went to pref and maximized her options (i.e. didn't suicide) and all the Chapters she preffed are already at Quota by the time her name is reached on any of their Bid Lists. Panhellenic will then add her to one of the Chapters she preffed. They try to spread the additions around so that no single Chapter gets like 20 additions while another gets none.

Any Chapter that does not achieve Quota through Formal recruitment is entitled to take enough new members through out the year to reach Quota. This is regardless of Panhellenic set Chapter Total. If at any point in time prior to Initiation a new member quits, a Chapter is entitled to replace her to get back up to Quota. There is some contraversy in terminology here as some folks consider these situations as still snap bidding while others call it COB.

Once a Chapter reaches Quota, their next concern is Panhellenic Chapter Total. If any Chapter is below or falls below Chapter Total (graduation, transferring schools, etc.), they are entitled to COB until they reach Total.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, so if any new member quites before initiation, the group can replace her with COB even if they are at chapter total without her?

Is this true everywhere or just at some schools?

Is it true even for groups who got quota additions?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wow, so if any new member quites before initiation, the group can replace her with COB even if they are at chapter total without her?

As I said that was the explanation given to me by an NPC Delegate. However I think we've all seen that of many these policies can vary somewhat from campus to campus. As someone pointed out in an earlier post, the Green Book in many places says "can" and "may" as opposed to "will" and "must". But the basic definitions of Snap Bidding to Quota, Quota Additions and COB'ing up to Chapter Total are the same.

Quote:
No, since the Chapter would still be at or possibly above Quota. Unless enough new members quit to push them below Quota.

Last edited by Zillini; 08-21-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:

The way I read the green book is that you can only replace a new member who depledges (unless the group is under total) is if she refuses her bid and does not participate in the new member ceremony.

Quota additions are not eligible to be replaced, unless the chapter goes under total.

Quote from Green book but not marked as Unanimous agreement

When a woman negates her signed membership recruitment acceptance agreement and refuses to accept her matched bid at the conclusion of membership recruitment and does not participate in a ribbon or formal new member ceremony, this space in the chapter's pledge quota was not filled. Therefore, the chapter may immediately bid and pledge another woman, even if the chapter is over total.

Quota Additions do not raise or increase the number of quota, and this process is used only during the bid matching process itself. Quota Additions do not create quota vacancies under any circumstances. Quota additions are never involved in Continuous Open Bidding.

Last edited by AZ-AlphaXi; 08-21-2007 at 11:53 PM. Reason: spelling!