GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,763
3 members and 2,760 guests
3DGator, Phrozen Sands, zalexisopz9425

Old 10-17-2004, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

My sorority has definately had our share of psycho stalkers!!
The year I went through 2 girls fell in love with my soroity and ended up getting tattoos while we were still going through rush! They showed my now sisters and it really freaked them out. They ended up going a different sorority!!!

Another girl on my campus who was in a diffferent sorority liked us more than her own sorority. Since the day she pledged she has bragged about how she loves my sorority better than hers. She even rushed girls for us!! Her sorority ended up asking her to quit.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-18-2004, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by B_R_E_A_N_N_A

Another girl on my campus who was in a diffferent sorority liked us more than her own sorority. Since the day she pledged she has bragged about how she loves my sorority better than hers. She even rushed girls for us!! Her sorority ended up asking her to quit.
Wow, that's crazy.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BlondeGurl
Were the tattoos specific to your org? I wonder what the sorority they ended up joining thought f that.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry!! I didn't specify the tattoos! Yes they were of our symbols!!!
Old 10-19-2004, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow. I can't believe they found time and energy to do anything in the evenings after those recruitment parties!

I can't imagine ever getting a tattoo, so to be so cavalier as to get ones during recruitment with symbols of sororities in the hopes you'll get a bid.... wow! Not terribly well thought-out.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:49 AM

Maybe they could fix it to say Wino Forever.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
LOL at 33, but I think it could depend on the girl and chapter. Say I am Irish, and I get a shamrock...doesn't mean I want to go KD. I happen to know a ton of people with turtles, dolphins, moons, etc. However, you get a fleur-de-les or something, that is weird.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Unless you got the tatoo specifically when you were rushing, I don't think a fleur-de-lis tattoo would be that weird. I know that some people just like them and think that they're pretty. There's a little store in Jackson Heights, Queens that's one of those pricey card/candle/gift stores and the woman has fleur-de-lis EVERYWHERE. There's even a fleur-de-lis on the store's business card. I asked the owner of the store if she's a Kappa one time when I was in there and she just looked at me like I had 5 heads and asked me what Kappa is. Turns out she didn't go to college so she's not a Kappa, she just likes them a lot.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
However, you get a fleur-de-les or something, that is weird.
I am of French decent so the fleur-de-lis is important to me also - I have a lot of them in my home although I am obviously not a Kappa.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Sorry, no offense intended. I just learned something new. I was just trying to think of an example that was pretty unique to a sorority.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Well this might be a bit off-topic since we're discussing psycho PNMs, but just THANK GOD (or your higher power of choice) these girls weren't found out to be psychos AFTER they pledged and were initiated!

I don't look back fondly on the token "psycho" of my chapter back in the day. It's funny how you never forget these things. This happened years ago, but just the other night, while talking on the phone with one of my best friends/sorority sisters, the topic of psycho people came up and my friend's like, "God, I remember how stressed we were that "Brenda" (not her real name) was going to commit suicide in the bathroom"...this happened every weekend! Let me tell you, having police cars and an ambulance in front of your chapter house every Saturday night can start to take a toll on your image, or at least make people wonder.

And ohhhhh, how I don't miss the snickers and comments from fellow Greeks who were privy to Brenda's latest crazy antics and psycho stunts. She was banned from one fraternity because she - and I'm not lying - showed up with a GUN and walked around with the thing pointed at her head, threatening to end it all if her boyfriend didn't take her back.

She was eventually asked to leave the house (they didn't force her to resign though) and almost got kicked out of school 'cuz she was so messed up. Ah, the sh*tty ol' days (some of them).

Again, this is off-topic, but I couldn't resist sharing what I consider a horror story. Some people.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GreekFreak
Well this might be a bit off-topic since we're discussing psycho PNMs, but just THANK GOD (or your higher power of choice) these girls weren't found out to be psychos AFTER they pledged and were initiated!

I don't look back fondly on the token "psycho" of my chapter back in the day. It's funny how you never forget these things. This happened years ago, but just the other night, while talking on the phone with one of my best friends/sorority sisters, the topic of psycho people came up and my friend's like, "God, I remember how stressed we were that "Brenda" (not her real name) was going to commit suicide in the bathroom"...this happened every weekend! Let me tell you, having police cars and an ambulance in front of your chapter house every Saturday night can start to take a toll on your image, or at least make people wonder.

And ohhhhh, how I don't miss the snickers and comments from fellow Greeks who were privy to Brenda's latest crazy antics and psycho stunts. She was banned from one fraternity because she - and I'm not lying - showed up with a GUN and walked around with the thing pointed at her head, threatening to end it all if her boyfriend didn't take her back.

She was eventually asked to leave the house (they didn't force her to resign though) and almost got kicked out of school 'cuz she was so messed up. Ah, the sh*tty ol' days (some of them).

Again, this is off-topic, but I couldn't resist sharing what I consider a horror story. Some people.
Just as an aside many people with mental illness have their first "breaks" when they are in college. As we all know, sorority life can be very stressful and push people over the edge, as "crazy" as that sounds. I certainly remember people in my chapter becoming overwhelmed at times with greek life in general. I know this is an extreme situation, but I think it is something that all sorority members should be aware of. Unfortunately, I don't think that college students unless affected personally by mental illness have any knowledge of it. I know I didn't while I was in school. I know of a sister in my chapter who tried to commit suicide the semester before I joined. I think that many sorority members because they may have never dealt personally with these types of situations don't know how to deal with it, and unfortunately, like in the case you mentioned, because of this, things get out of hand. Since I graduated in 1998 I don't know if things have changed for the better regarding mental health issues, awareness, and students, but I hope so. Anyone have any thoughts/comments?
Old 10-19-2004, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by winneythepooh7
Just as an aside many people with mental illness have their first "breaks" when they are in college. As we all know, sorority life can be very stressful and push people over the edge, as "crazy" as that sounds. I certainly remember people in my chapter becoming overwhelmed at times with greek life in general. I know this is an extreme situation, but I think it is something that all sorority members should be aware of. Unfortunately, I don't think that college students unless affected personally by mental illness have any knowledge of it. I know I didn't while I was in school. I know of a sister in my chapter who tried to commit suicide the semester before I joined. I think that many sorority members because they may have never dealt personally with these types of situations don't know how to deal with it, and unfortunately, like in the case you mentioned, because of this, things get out of hand. Since I graduated in 1998 I don't know if things have changed for the better regarding mental health issues, awareness, and students, but I hope so. Anyone have any thoughts/comments?

No, I can fully relate to this. I remember feeling overwhelmed many times. I just thank God I had a support system and it didn't get to that extreme.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by winneythepooh7
I'm afraid there are still way too many people who just consider mental illness "crazy" and would prefer to sweep it under the rug than to confront it head on. It's a shame that young college students leave school before getting help. Perhaps this is a topic for Greek seminars (or at least part of a topic!)

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:42 AM
GreekChat Member

The age of onset for most mental illnesses happens to be your late teens/early 20's whether you're in college or not, whether you're in a sorority or not. In rare cases, the "biochemical" illnesses such as bi-polar disorder and schizophrenia occur in younger children, but the majority begin during the late teen/early adulthood phases, so it would not be surprising that young people could experience their first "break" while at college.

Dee